• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Antonio Conte - officially NOT the coach of THFC

He’s going to set a clear direction and the players can choose to follow or otherwise, but the club are going to back Conte rather than the wasters, I’m pretty sure of it.

I'm glad you're so optimistic. I just hope that actually proves the case - the test will come when Conte says 'I want X, Y and Z out, and A, B and C in'.

Say the three Conte wants out are Dele, Tanguy and Lo Celso. And the most anyone is offering for them collectively is, say, 50m.

That's what Levy apparently values Dele at, alone.

Will he actually back Conte and shift them regardless? Or will he stick to his valuation, even at the risk of those three remaining at the club when the window closes? Likewise, will he pay what has to be paid for Conte's first-choice targets, early in the window, with enough time to integrate them into team training and get up to speed?

That's what backing a manager over the players means - that's when the real test will come.

We all are if we're discussing solutions for spurs.

It may all come down to the Paratici and Conte working relationship especially for Spurs

A united Para-Conte could be the key to bring new insights to the Spurs board, Chairman and owners. Winning the league and regular CL and Cup runs would certainly payout in global merchandising and sponsorships. And that requires both investment and a leap of faith.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Fapatalk

I'm glad you're so optimistic. I just hope that actually proves the case - the test will come when Conte says 'I want X, Y and Z out, and A, B and C in'.

Say the three Conte wants out are Dele, Tanguy and Lo Celso. And the most anyone is offering for them collectively is, say, 50m.

That's what Levy apparently values Dele at, alone.

Will he actually back Conte and shift them regardless? Or will he stick to his valuation, even at the risk of those three remaining at the club when the window closes? Likewise, will he pay what has to be paid for Conte's first-choice targets, early in the window, with enough time to integrate them into team training and get up to speed?

That's what backing a manager over the players means - that's when the real test will come.

I guess I meant from a ‘who does the club side with in a dispute about the current manager being too mean’ perspective. I think now, I’m pretty sure they’ll be on Conte’s side.

As for selling players when we should…I have no idea. I’d like to think so but it is up in the air. At least we have Paratici now.

I guess I meant from a ‘who does the club side with in a dispute about the current manager being too mean’ perspective. I think now, I’m pretty sure they’ll be on Conte’s side.

As for selling players when we should…I have no idea. I’d like to think so but it is up in the air. At least we have Paratici now.

True, but that's the heart of it. If the club doesn't sell who Conte wants sold, that in itself is siding with those players - and siding against Conte.

I don't think the reason why the players outlast a manager at the club matters - only that they outlast the manager. As long as they know that, the manager doesn't have total authority.

There's no more room for that sort of equivocating in the hope of eking out pennies on our dross.

That video suggests otherwise.
You realise we weren't playing a top side though, right? There is no top side and by that I mean a team that actually wins things that doesn't have at least one player in the side whose speciality is passing.

Pass and move from a of our 0layers should be the minimum but to get to the top level we will still need more and you know that.

You realise we weren't playing a top side though, right? There is no top side and by that I mean a team that actually wins things that doesn't have at least one player in the side whose speciality is passing.

Pass and move from a of our 0layers should be the minimum but to get to the top level we will still need more and you know that.
I absolutely agree, which is why I get so fed up with seeing two defensive players on midfield - that's at least one too many.

I absolutely agree, which is why I get so fed up with seeing two defensive players on midfield - that's at least one too many.
Three centre backs + two defensive minded CMs + two wingbacks. That's a lot of defensive minded players on the pitch. It can work but we don't have the range of attributes in our few attacking players to balance out the amount of defenders we have on the pitch.

One of the key points in here I feel is the point about wide-forwards not being needed if the wing-backs are doing their planned job. Better to leave that space to Reggie and Royal and then have someone else in the centre who can create...so Ndomebel or GLC behind Kane and Son
Agreed.
Although I'd say Gil instead of GLC.
I. Because he is clearly talented.
II. Because GLC.....see I.

Conte gets the issues plaguing the clubs management and players. Hopefully Paratici is in cahoots with him. Maybe it's me being sceptical but Hitchen and Mason working for them both is a way for Levy to keep tabs on them.

Our next two windows will show how, much change Levy has allowed for. If not I'm sure both of them will walk.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Great to see a manger going on about a winning ment ality, i have said for several seasons that overall our team has lacked that and been told by some on here its not that important. It is and all the more sucsseful teams have it and under Conte we may at last have it installed into the make up of our team.

Huh?

Our bunch?

The ones that complained to the media when Nuno had them train in different positions to their usual ones, *once*?

The ones that complained that Poch's training was too hard, and Mourinho was too mean?

If they loved self-improvement over posting selfies on Instagram, we wouldn't be where we are now, and wouldn't have needed to hire Conte to begin with.

This bunch has a truly atrocious attitude - everyone from Lloris to Conte himself basically confirmed it.

I don't think they'll like it, personally. But I don't much care for what they think, either.
I think if the same training tactics are used by Conte, no one would complain. It's not the training tactics, but who was asking them to perform them that was more of the issue. If you do not have respect and confidence in your manager, you're going to question his methods.

True, but that's the heart of it. If the club doesn't sell who Conte wants sold, that in itself is siding with those players - and siding against Conte.

I don't think the reason why the players outlast a manager at the club matters - only that they outlast the manager. As long as they know that, the manager doesn't have total authority.

There's no more room for that sort of equivocating in the hope of eking out pennies on our dross.
I don't think it's as cut and dried as that. I am sure Conte understands that a club like Spurs cannot take a huge loss on players. There will be some compromise. Some of these things might not happen on Conte's timeline, but they may happen close to Conte's timeline to alleviate the financial impact on the club. As long as there is a desire to meet his needs and a path towards that, then I think the relationship should be fine.

I don't think it's as cut and dried as that. I am sure Conte understands that a club like Spurs cannot take a huge loss on players. There will be some compromise. Some of these things might not happen on Conte's timeline, but they may happen close to Conte's timeline to alleviate the financial impact on the club. As long as there is a desire to meet his needs and a path towards that, then I think the relationship should be fine.
I think it is up to Paratici, not Conte nor Levy, to balance the sales and spend vs the overarching budget set by Levy.
That budget might be a net spend of X and a wages to turnover ratio of Y.

Conte and Para will draw up a list of primary, secondary, tertiary targets and work hard to get what they need at that budget.

Note the transfer fee is not a big deal at all it is the wages which are more concerning, because:
*If we can buy someone for £10m and sell them for £10m that is basically (**see later) zero net spend, so wages are the key spend.
*If we can buy someone for £60m and sell them for £60m that is basically (**see later) zero net spend, so wages are the key spend.
That is why we try not to buy older players.

**I know player costs are not paid in full in year 1 and are amortised over the length of the contract but let's not get into the accounting details, I'm just saying that we can spend £777m on someone as long as we can sell them for £888m the day after. The actual cost of a player is not too important, it is the net cost and the wages which matter. See * and ** I really can't be bothered to get too deep into it.

I think it is up to Paratici, not Conte nor Levy, to balance the sales and spend vs the overarching budget set by Levy.
That budget might be a net spend of X and a wages to turnover ratio of Y.

Conte and Para will draw up a list of primary, secondary, tertiary targets and work hard to get what they need at that budget.

Note the transfer fee is not a big deal at all it is the wages which are more concerning, because:
*If we can buy someone for £10m and sell them for £10m that is basically (**see later) zero net spend, so wages are the key spend.
*If we can buy someone for £60m and sell them for £60m that is basically (**see later) zero net spend, so wages are the key spend.
That is why we try not to buy older players.

**I know player costs are not paid in full in year 1 and are amortised over the length of the contract but let's not get into the accounting details, I'm just saying that we can spend £777m on someone as long as we can sell them for £888m the day after. The actual cost of a player is not too important, it is the net cost and the wages which matter. See * and ** I really can't be bothered to get too deep into it.
Agree about the wages. That's what also determines how easily you can sell a player later.

As far as targets are concerned, I heard somewhere that Conte doesn't have primary and secondary targets. If he wants player A, it's player A. There's no B.

Great to see a manger going on about a winning ment ality, i have said for several seasons that overall our team has lacked that and been told by some on here its not that important. It is and all the more sucsseful teams have it and under Conte we may at last have it installed into the make up of our team.

I don't remember anyone saying it wasn't important, there was just a disagreement over what it was - you said it was something aquired only through winning trophies, whereas others said it was something a person possesses and exhibits everyday which helps them become successful/the best they can be - something which Conte seems to believe too going by his comments on the subject since joining.

Agree about the wages. That's what also determines how easily you can sell a player later.

As far as targets are concerned, I heard somewhere that Conte doesn't have primary and secondary targets. If he wants player A, it's player A. There's no B.
He might have to change that, otherwise he'll end up with a load of C's and a 45 starting with P.

His interview post Everton game outlines his thoughts and clarifies next steps ...
- realises the enormity of the challenge here (smiles and almost looks to the heavens)
- observes many mistakes in the final ball delivery (wingers/midfield? )
- building on stability, hence no change in formation or starting lineup.
- lots of work, players accepting instructions and trying hard (suffering)
- the goal now is to narrow the gap with the top four (is this his assessment of the capabilities of the team now and an indication that we need to buy to do better?)

One thing that struck me about the players we have is that they may not like each other or there is a huge dressing room rift. I mean in playing football one seeks naturally to attack, to try to link up and do something better than the opposition. Currently the players are trying, but they are doing it mostly by themselves not believing in creating more in the group.

The idea of a toxic workplace comes to mind where self survival is everyone's top priority and there is little will to allow for others to get ahead if it means widening a performance or achievement gap, perceived or not. Maybe I'm seeing too much of my own past, and projecting it onto this team. But it's a plausible answer as to why the more notable of this bunch looks so bad together but fly when they are with their fellow compatriots in the national team.

They just don't enjoy playing with each other.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Last edited:
Back