• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Don’t agree
Again I’ve highlighted it before but fans were not happy in Pochs 10 games… there is a lot to re writing of history on that front. He even highlights it in his book.
Someone posted earlier than Jose a first 10 games had us top forgetting go the season before
Football fans have very short memories as games come thick and fast
I disagree completely. There was no unhappiness from the fans. I think Poch may well have feared the sack from Levy, but that wasn’t due to calls from the fans.

Those on here calling for Potter or Ten Hag have to realise neither are going to happen…. Both knocked us back in the summer. Spurs isn’t the place that a manager on the up is going to risk his reputation at. The high standard you are judged at isn’t commensurate with the wage and transfer budget provided for the first team squad. If we sack Nuno (more wasted money) then we’d have to get incredibly lucky with a reasonably unproven manager or (more likely) end up with another Nuno level manager.

Looking back over the summer it is no wonder so many managers turned us down when the owners of a team finishing 7th in the PL the season before were offering a transfer budget of net £30m, a large cut to the wage budget and demanding European football.

The only way we now attract a worthwhile manager is getting VERY lucky, or by offering a large budget to rebuild…. The only way the latter happens is by the owners loading even more debt on the club (we already have the largest debt in the football World) or by them injecting equity by diluting their holding (and they have shown no willingness to do this previously). I think we are now probably stuck in this cycle for the next 4 or 5 years unfortunately.

Last edited:
Please tell?

He got an email shortly before the start of the season telling him he wasn't needed anymore.
I expect his services were contracted rather than being an employee, so if the club hadn't renewed his contract for the coming season you'd think he must have suspected something. But nonetheless it is still a sh!tty way to communicate that news to someone who has worked for the club for so many years.
He was back for the Chelsea game, so is seemingly doing ad-hoc stuff.

Being a football fan is all about emotions. It is joy, excitement, anticipation and it is anger, despair and anguish, and every possible feeling between.

Being a Spurs-fan, on the other hand, is by nature predominately in the outer edges of the scale. It may be hard for some who has joined us over the last decade or so that the main feelings for Spurs-fans used to be fear, anxiety and grave disappointment.

Which makes the two prime Pochettino-years stand out even more. I can't state how weird it was to go into a top tie and not only expect to compete, but having no fear whatsoever about being beaten with big numbers.

We've had decent and good teams before. We've had nearly-there-teams several times before. But we've never had a team like _that_ team, the team that untill The Battle of Stamford Bridge looked to be the best team in the country. Pochettino did that, and it was more or less impossible to be "meh" about Spurs. Most liked us, some hated us, very few were neutral about us. And had it not been for that fluke of a Leicester-season we should have had not one but probably two titles.

Ok, one can discuss to lengths about what happened after that, but that's for another thread.

A lot can be said about Mour.. Voldemort.. sorry, He-who-must-not-be-named. But he was more or less impossible to be "meh" about also. Granted, he shifted more or less everybody over to the "we hate Spurs"-camp, including a fair amount of Spurs-fans themselves. But neutral? Nobody can be neutral to that wicked man.

And this is where I think Nuno falls down. I just can't seem to build any emotions for him. We still have exiting players, who in a flash of a moment can make me sit on edge. But I'm back to not expecting them to do so. Because it feels like they play with safety harnesses on, shackeled to a wall. I can't express how weird it felt during the Manchester United-game to see Kane and Son combine and _not_ expect a chance or a goal. Because I didn't. It felt like we could play for a week and still not score.

I'm not sure I can forgive Nuno that feeling. Even "the evil one" managed to get maximum out of those two, and the massive gamble on hiring him could have paid off had we had a bit more luck.

Being a manager for a football club is about a lot of things, it is not like playing FM, dropping players into a preset tactic and see stars indicate how good they are.
You have to actually do stuff, and one of the things you have to do is to invoke emotions. In your staff, in your fans, and in your players.
Now, I'm easy. Show me a tit, and I'm game. Kick a ball, and I'll run after it. I constantly need to check myself, to prevent me from becoming one of those weirdos who stand at the front of sales pitches, cheering at the charlatan trying to flog some useless thingmajig with slick sales tricks.
If Nuno can't get my blood flowing, invoke my emotions, how the flippin' heck is he going to get the players going? The fans? And the staff?

One slight emotion did he invoke, though. I've lamented Nunos lack of substitutions before, and I were as shocked as everyone else to see him take Moura off for Bergwijn at 54 minutes. It made me think he actually reads these darn things, and thought "I'll show them, they've complained that I don't substitute early enough, and that I don't take Moura off when he is not performing good enough. I know what I'll do, I'll take Moura off EARLY!"
Too bad this was the only player we had who actually created anything.
No wonder the boos rang out. I felt a bit then. I felt a bit of pity. Mainly for Steven, although I think he would understand that it was not directed at him. But also for Nuno. Because I think that was the end. I really don't see where we can go from this. Even after two days of calming down, reflecting and getting the neccessary distance, I can't see the way forward from this.

I see the rumours going around twitter and other SoMe at the moment, that an announcement is imminent. It may well be. If so, I'm afraid Nuno will finally invoke some emotions in me.

Sadness, and relief.

I really don't see where we can go from this. Even after two days of calming down, reflecting and getting the neccessary distance, I can't see the way forward from this.

Good post. Agree with the closing comments. All his authority and credibility with the players will now be gone. Will be a relief when he's put out of his misery

He got an email shortly before the start of the season telling him he wasn't needed anymore.
I expect his services were contracted rather than being an employee, so if the club hadn't renewed his contract for the coming season you'd think he must have suspected something. But nonetheless it is still a sh!tty way to communicate that news to someone who has worked for the club for so many years.
He was back for the Chelsea game, so is seemingly doing ad-hoc stuff.

Thanks for saving me the bother.

I’d just add that he received the email less than 72 hours before the first game of the season.

He spoke about it on The Spurs Show a few weeks ago - in a very dignified and forgiving way imo.

If we sack him off, we absolutely must 100% have a replacement lined up ready, able and willing to take over. Anything less will be a joke.

And not in the “other fans will laugh at us” kind of way.

I don’t give a shït about other fans. But we can’t go through one candidate to another like we did in the summer, it’s demeaning/ diminishes to us/ to our standing which has several knock on effects.

Some good posts in this thread.

Seems inevitable an announcement will be made today.

Nuno was dealt a poor hand but even in his limited time and constraints hasn’t managed to show any progression in making the team look like they will either win matches or play a brand of football that excites.

I hope we have a credible successor lined up. It would see anyone worth their salt who we have already spoken to would need to have the parameters adjusted to make them want to join us now. Hopefully a realisation that an injection of cash is required to finance both more players in and to facilities a few stale / toxic ones out.

Would be a huge surprise though, I think it’ll be someone currently out of work with reputation for playing front foot football, who still may not necessarily have the big club or Prem experience and the job would be a step up for them.

Some good posts in this thread.

Seems inevitable an announcement will be made today.

Nuno was dealt a poor hand but even in his limited time and constraints hasn’t managed to show any progression in making the team look like they will either win matches or play a brand of football that excites.

I hope we have a credible successor lined up. It would see anyone worth their salt who we have already spoken to would need to have the parameters adjusted to make them want to join us now. Hopefully a realisation that an injection of cash is required to finance both more players in and to facilities a few stale / toxic ones out.

Would be a huge surprise though, I think it’ll be someone currently out of work with reputation for playing front foot football, who still may not necessarily have the big club experience and the job would be a step up for them.
Toxic ones?

If we sack him off, we absolutely must 100% have a replacement lined up ready, able and willing to take over. Anything less will be a joke.

And not in the “other fans will laugh at us” kind of way.

I don’t give a shït about other fans. But we can’t go through one candidate to another like we did in the summer, it’s demeaning/ diminishes to us/ to our standing which has several knock on effects.
Lots of noise about Conte, which is actually hilarious. He turned us down in the summer, so why the fudge would he come now, in the middle of a car crash?

Further, if it's Conte, Ten Hag or anyone else, it doesn't matter if there is no plan behind it! There has to be a vision, a goal and a plan to make it there. It doesn't seem like we have that, only words that were instantly pointless the moment they gave Nuno the job.
The club needs a proper plan, both long and short term, and it has to be properly embedded into everyone working for the club, from bottom to top. We clearly don't have that now. Whether that plan and vision comes from the chairman, board or Manager, doesn't matter, but everyone has to agree, and follow the path laid out by that plan. Otherwise its pointless.

Lots of noise about Conte, which is actually hilarious. He turned us down in the summer, so why the fudge would he come now, in the middle of a car crash?

Further, if it's Conte, Ten Hag or anyone else, it doesn't matter if there is no plan behind it! There has to be a vision, a goal and a plan to make it there. It doesn't seem like we have that, only words that were instantly pointless the moment they gave Nuno the job.
The club needs a proper plan, both long and short term, and it has to be properly embedded into everyone working for the club, from bottom to top. We clearly don't have that now. Whether that plan and vision comes from the chairman, board or Manager, doesn't matter, but everyone has to agree, and follow the path laid out by that plan. Otherwise its pointless.

An elite level manager like Conte wouldn’t come near us if we didn’t have a credible plan. And in his case the plan would need to involve serious cash injection.

I disagree completely. There was no unhappiness fo the fans. I think Poch may well have feared the sack from Levy, but that wasn’t due to calls from the fans.

Those on here calling for Potter or Ten Hag have to realise neither are going to happen…. Both knocked us back in the summer. Spurs isn’t the place that a manager on the up is going to risk his reputation at. The high standard you are judged at isn’t commensurate with the wage and transfer budget provided for the first team squad. If we sack Nuno (more wasted money) then we’d have to get incredibly lucky with a reasonably unproven manager or (more likely) end up with another Nuno level manager.

Looking back over the summer it is no wonder so many managers turned us down when the owners of a team finishing 7th in the PL the season before were offering a transfer budget of net £30m, a large cut to the wage budget and demanding European football.

The only way we now attract a worthwhile manager is getting VERY lucky, or by offering a large budget to rebuild…. The only way the latter happens is by the owners loading even more debt on the club (we already have the largest debt in the football World) or by them injecting equity by diluting their holding (and they have shown no willingness to do this previously). I think we are now probably stuck in this cycle for the next 4 or 5 years unfortunately.
I looked on here to see people’s opinions. Poch even said it in his book
Don’t forget people didnt want Poch, they wanted a certain dutch manager or 2 (one went to palace and one to United)

Thanks for saving me the bother.

I’d just add that he received the email less than 72 hours before the first game of the season.

He spoke about it on The Spurs Show a few weeks ago - in a very dignified and forgiving way imo.
He still does work for the club
Just not the same job

If those are the criteria then its Fonseca or Favre

Conte is still counter-attacking, though brings fast and direct attacks.

Potter, Gallardo and various others are still in work

Going around that its mason until Christmas, does that suggest gallardo?

And this is where I think Nuno falls down. I just can't seem to build any emotions for him. We still have exiting players, who in a flash of a moment can make me sit on edge. But I'm back to not expecting them to do so. Because it feels like they play with safety harnesses on, shackeled to a wall. I can't express how weird it felt during the Manchester United-game to see Kane and Son combine and _not_ expect a chance or a goal. Because I didn't. It felt like we could play for a week and still not score.

Great post. To be fair, for me, it's not so much Santo than his team that left me apathetic. For the first time in many years, I've skipped the odd match (West Ham, Burnley, Crystal Palace) and I'm not even paying to watch this. Even when we scored, like we did against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, the games themselves felt flat. There's boring and then there's Spurs under Santo. It's difficult to actually point what's wrong with this team. Of course, there's a lack of intensity that would make Graham's Arsenal look like Barcelona in comparison but maybe we've all been emotionally drained after three years of enormous frustration.

We went very close to winning the biggest prize in world football and from that moment on, it's been one disappointment after another. There was even a point, under Mourinho, where it looked like we could rise again, when we were top of the league. I think Kane's transfer request was the last straw. At the moment, it feels like nobody wants to be associated with Spurs: the chairman, the manager, the players, the fans... Either some people finally decide to pull their fingers out of their arses or we will need a very strong personality to clean up that mess...

Back