• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Nuno isn’t the answer, but let’s not pretend he’s the fundamental problem. It’s clear what Levy/ENIC’s ambitions are, history has showed us that. If you’re ok with Levy/ENIC being in charge, then you need to accept where we are imo. Ie a few good seasons, CL, odd Cup final/semi, fall just short, Manager who’s doing well/top players get approached/head turned/manager sacked / 2-5 year set back/ repeat the cycle. Oh well, we could always be West Ham…. Oops

nice ground though

The guy who thought we didn’t need to sort the defence first? I wouldn’t call that a guy whose a good judge of the teams state TBH
But I did like his attacking side at Roma
He isn’t one for the next tier IMO

Fair point re. the defense. I remember when Mason was in temporary charge we were both keen on Potter. His record working his way up the leagues in Scandinavia showed he was where he was on merit. I don't think Nuno is a bad manager, but it does seem like it is untenable for him now. We could bring in Fonseca still now. It wouldn't surprise me. And might be a shrewd move.

Fair point re. the defense. I remember when Mason was in temporary charge we were both keen on Potter. His record working his way up the leagues in Scandinavia showed he was where he was on merit. I don't think Nuno is a bad manager, but it does seem like it is untenable for him now. We could bring in Fonseca still now. It wouldn't surprise me. And might be a shrewd move.
Pass
I actually like Fonseca but for him to say we don’t go for him because of his style kinda stumped me.
Potter is literally the best candidate by an absolute mile
His coaching and man management would lift the team and club a long way quickly
We would have to be serious and offer him very very high wages to get him

The guy who thought we didn’t need to sort the defence first? I wouldn’t call that a guy whose a good judge of the teams state TBH
But I did like his attacking side at Roma
He isn’t one for the next tier IMO

You claimed nobody wanted to come here (that's how I read your post, anyway), you didn't say anything about the 'next tier'.

There's no point in going all over that story again, particularly with the benefit of hindsight, but I don't really mind his comments about our defence. It's not as absurd as it sounds: proof of that if that we got some of our best results this season with Dier and Sanchez in the side. He could have thought that better ball retention was the answer to some of our problems, for instance. In terms of entertainment, I don't think you can compare his Roma side (what I saw of it) and Santo's Wolves (what i saw of them).

I've warmed up a little too late to your Potter campaign but he'd have been a good choice, I think, although it seems he didn't want to come. Everybody's going through weird times but I'm sure there are other Pochettinos out there: people who are getting their teams to play good football, even if the results are unremarkable, and who'd be interested in working in a more competitive environment.

You claimed nobody wanted to come here (that's how I read your post, anyway), you didn't say anything about the 'next tier'.

There's no point in going all over that story again, particularly with the benefit of hindsight, but I don't really mind his comments about our defence. It's not as absurd as it sounds: proof of that if that we got some of our best results this season with Dier and Sanchez in the side. He could have thought that better ball retention was the answer to some of our problems, for instance. In terms of entertainment, I don't think you can compare his Roma side (what I saw of it) and Santo's Wolves (what i saw of them).

I've warmed up a little too late to your Potter campaign but he'd have been a good choice, I think, although it seems he didn't want to come. Everybody's going through weird times but I'm sure there are other Pochettinos out there: people who are getting their teams to play good football, even if the results are unremarkable, and who'd be interested in working in a more competitive environment.
that’s exactly what potter has been doing
We have come back once form memory at anfield in about 30 years
We’re a spineless club but he has got Brighton playing such a progressive way
Fonseca roma played attacking football and he was dealt a poor hand there[/QUOTE]

I'd take AVB at this point for the rest of the season. Anyone but Nuno and his sad face, like his dying father had shat on his favourite rug.

For those for whom Nuno is not good enough: how do you think Poch or Mourinho would have done with this version of Kane? Can you imagine last season without Kane's goals?

Pass
I actually like Fonseca but for him to say we don’t go for him because of his style kinda stumped me.
Potter is literally the best candidate by an absolute mile
His coaching and man management would lift the team and club a long way quickly
We would have to be serious and offer him very very high wages to get him

I don't see Potter as the type to chuck in his tenure midseason. Fonseca is still free now. If it wasn't for fans and possibly the players losing faith, we would have to give Nuno until Xmas, and if things have not improved, make the change then. But fans and players could change that. Levy is never shy to pull the trigger, so could see us going back to Fonseca if we need a new coach.

There are actually signs of improvements. Some of the passing and movement. But switching up the stable side today was a massive problem. We'd been developing despite the results, but serious problems persist. Not least the way we cede possession so cheaply. Whoever scored first today was probably going to win, with both teams shot on confidence and without a clear set formation/personnel.

For those for whom Nuno is not good enough: how do you think Poch or Mourinho would have done with this version of Kane? Can you imagine last season without Kane's goals?

Poch would likely have got goals from Son, Bergwijn, Moura even Hojbjerg.
We saw that Jose got goals from Son and Bale...

Kane has gone downhill for sure, but the attacking movements are so static they make Jose football look like watching Emirates Marketing Project.

There has been a general malaise around the club for sure and that's beyond Nuno..but how many times have we gone a goal down against opposition that are not in the bottom six and conceded 3??

Poch would likely have got goals from Son, Bergwijn, Moura even Hojbjerg.
We saw that Jose got goals from Son and Bale...

Kane has gone downhill for sure, but the attacking movements are so static they make Jose football look like watching Emirates Marketing Project.

There has been a general malaise around the club for sure and that's beyond Nuno..but how many times have we gone a goal down against opposition that are not in the bottom six and conceded 3??
Poch wouldn’t have got this team with these players scoring IMO
He would need a clear out like Nuno or whoever the next manager is needs

Clearout of who though? Half the team who started today have only been with us for two years or less so i'm not buying the need of a clearout (though upgrades, competition and coaching is key to moving upwards and onwards).

To put it in perspective: Arsenal look better coached....

I don't know. I think even Nuno can get this team playing better. It is just he is under such pressure, and a key cog in the side is unreliable. Ndombele is both a key and a thorn. He can unlock goals, or not train, and disrupt this new side's progression.

I think we're missing a passing CM and Ndombele being reliable. Otherwise, we have a good side that most managers would love to work with.

Last edited:
Why would he succeed in the EPL though? My gut instinct would tell me that at this stage of his career he'd be more suited to La Liga or Serie A...
We know from lots of experience that the angels with dirty faces Argentinian style works very well in england, and especially at WHL. Gillardo is just Poch on steroids, and available/out of contract in the next few weeks

@Bedfordspurs raises an interesting point about building from the back? Looking back at Poch's time with us did he actually do that? I felt he started with us being braver/bolder attacking-wise before sorting out the defence?
Does a sort-out-the-defence-first manager tend not to get the time and slack with us as fans compared to the opposite?

@DubaiSpur also raised an interesting point about us being more entwined with a more bold talking coach rather than a more 'cerebral' tactical thinking coach who's main focus is controlling games (e.g. AVB, Nuno)

Back