• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Actually I do and have done for the last 35 years. Do they still exist? Of course but nowhere near the levels of the 80's. What about chronic fatigue? What happened? Every other kid had it back in the 90's. True story. A senior female student in my Lit class claimed to have chronic fatigue, could not possibly do any assessments on time because she was bed ridden. Got extensions for everything. Until late, late one Saturday night when my mates and I had a big session and ordered some takeaway. Guess who answered the phone. Ha, ha. So what is the answer? Some kids have these problems but many are also bunging it on to get attention.

You utter bastard haha

Wait for the pile on....

What do people think of CANZUK? Being talked up alot now, with some saying as early as next year it might start becoming a thing. I'm in favour. Balanced economies, similar viewpoints (think every un vote we've always voted the same). Laws, culture, language.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is

I think it became whiplash in car accidents for a little while around the turn of the century.

I lost track of it around 10 years ago, but I think the new version is "I need to work from home to improve my work life balance"

Hahahaha...
Anyone who has the remotest knowledge of working from home knows that it is not helpful to work/life balance, and such a thing always remains with the person themselves. In fact, office life. makes slacking and lazy arse behavior easier.
You need to watch Office Space. Comedy though it might be, the truth is equally abundant.

You obviously don’t work in a school if you haven’t heard of eating disorders lately - it remains a real problem, for teenage girls in particular (although the advent of social media has seen cases rise considerably in young men over the past decade).

We have 4 pupils currently under the care of the local chronic fatigue service, and one member of staff. It certainly hasn’t disappeared either.

I think we're dealing with old-schoolers in this thread. People who subscribe wholly to the 'pull your socks up and stiff upper lip' school. I believe there are absolutely times for that to happen, I also believe the conditions being discussed are very, very real. Finally, it proves to me that however enlightened many think they are, when it comes to mental health -plus its impact on physical health- there is a large level of either unwilling uptake of facts or ignorance. I am not sure which. But it is sad to see.

I think we're dealing with old-schoolers in this thread. People who subscribe wholly to the 'pull your socks up and stiff upper lip' school. I believe there are absolutely times for that to happen, I also believe the conditions being discussed are very, very real. Finally, it proves to me that however enlightened many think they are, when it comes to mental health -plus its impact on physical health- there is a large level of either unwilling uptake of facts or ignorance. I am not sure which. But it is sad to see.

Mental health and stress are very real. I remember the breakdown of my first marriage around the same time my mother was sick(cancer) I had a bad back for months. Once she was dead and not in pain not the first wife, she is sadly still alive. My bad back went.

The are exercises and treatments to help you with stress and anxiety. Which everyone with an Internet connection has easy access to.

I shall finish by saying though I think a lot are scamming the system the are some genuine ones and saint Lord and saviour Greta is clearly one of them, bless her.

I sort of understand the human races need to have idols. I love Mark cavendish. Still think he was a tw*t for not taking his lead out man's wheel in Paris. Maybe I supported Tottenham for to long and know you should have no heroes.

Mental health and stress are very real. I remember the breakdown of my first marriage around the same time my mother was sick(cancer) I had a bad back for months. Once she was dead and not in pain not the first wife, she is sadly still alive. My bad back went.

The are exercises and treatments to help you with stress and anxiety. Which everyone with an Internet connection has easy access to.

I shall finish by saying though I think a lot are scamming the system the are some genuine ones and saint Lord and saviour Greta is clearly one of them, bless her.

I sort of understand the human races need to have idols. I love Mark cavendish. Still think he was a tw*t for not taking his lead out man's wheel in Paris. Maybe I supported Tottenham for to long and know you should have no heroes.

I won't get into it here, other than to say I have no deep issues with either, but several very very close to me do. And if it was as easy as going on the internet, it wouldn't be a problem. Ironically, the internet has helped exacerbate the issues...

I was in a relationship with someone who had ME. It’s heartbreaking as it is debilitating. If you are interested in opening your world view up, this is a great documentary;

It is. Our good neighbour suffers from ME, and has since she was 18 (she's 35 now). She spent six years laying in a dark room in bed. Six years. She barely had the energy to drink a glass of water every once in a while. Thankfully, she's better now, but she still can't do a lot before it'll have a crushing effect on her. And this woman, I know for a fact that she'd be far busier than me if she didn't have this brick - she spent her teens doing gymnastics, climbing and was active in politics. For someone to suggest she's somehow "faking it" to be able to "laze around at home", as if that's some sort of prize - well, I just don't know what to say to that. Educate yourselves.

It is. Our good neighbour suffers from ME, and has since she was 18 (she's 35 now). She spent six years laying in a dark room in bed. Six years. She barely had the energy to drink a glass of water every once in a while. Thankfully, she's better now, but she still can't do a lot before it'll have a crushing effect on her. And this woman, I know for a fact that she'd be far busier than me if she didn't have this brick - she spent her teens doing gymnastics, climbing and was active in politics. For someone to suggest she's somehow "faking it" to be able to "laze around at home", as if that's some sort of prize - well, I just don't know what to say to that. Educate yourselves.

Thanks for sharing. Your friends story and @thfcsteff ’s earlier matches my ex’s. She is in an upper-level position in her career and active in general but it is crushing for her when the symptoms arise. She’s learnt to live with it and even control it to some extent, but she lost much of her chance to have a ‘normal’ childhood and even now struggles for consistent normality. When we started dating she tried to hide that she had ME. She still has close friends and colleagues who have no idea because she’s fearful of the stigma around it based on uneducated and ignorant opinions. She’s lucky she is incredibly good at her job and high enough up that she can choose to work from home when she feels symptoms coming on. The documentary I posted meant a lot to her as it is one of, if not the first that has documented the struggles of living with the condition.

The irony is not lost on me that in one thread we’re posting about how woke we are against mainstream media yet in others like this one, we are offering opinions based on ‘my hero Jeremy Clarkson/Piers Morgan said it so it must be true’ playbook.

What do people think of CANZUK? Being talked up alot now, with some saying as early as next year it might start becoming a thing. I'm in favour. Balanced economies, similar viewpoints (think every un vote we've always voted the same). Laws, culture, language.

The Commonwealth without the black and brown people? The Anglosphere without the prime retards?

They definitely are the countries most like us culturally, so are the obvious partners for things like secret service co-operation, liberal travel visa etc. But I think TPP (which included those 3 countries anyway) makes more sense trade-wise, as it's best to trade with countries that are different to you, rather than similar to you.

Would seem odd, as we just got out of a trading union. Would we want to give up sovereignty on trade rules so quickly again? Obviously, trade with Europe reduces emissions relative to trade with New Zealand etc, and reduces goods travel times. Far more logic for increased open trade and cooperation with Europe surely? :p

Would seem odd, as we just got out of a trading union. Would we want to give up sovereignty on trade rules so quickly again? Obviously, trade with Europe reduces emissions relative to trade with New Zealand etc, and reduces goods travel times. Far more logic for increased open trade and cooperation with Europe surely? :p

We sell mostly services. Doesn't matter how far away the country is. For things like lithium, iron ore etc... we won't get that from europe.

We will trade with europe. The idea is with the free ports we bring in the raw materials. Build the products here then ship to europe. Levels up the north. As the worlds 4th (possibly 3rd) biggest trading block we will be less disadvantaged in any trade deals with europe. Similar goals and mindsets. Balanced economies so won't be swamped with cheap labour. I'm in favour.

Trade deals are very different to customs unions, common markets, social dumping and supranational governing bureaucracies. The problem with the EU was always its depth, not the partners. Pre-Maastricht it was pretty ok. It just became megalomaniac from that point.

The Commonwealth without the black and brown people? The Anglosphere without the prime retards?

They definitely are the countries most like us culturally, so are the obvious partners for things like secret service co-operation, liberal travel visa etc. But I think TPP (which included those 3 countries anyway) makes more sense trade-wise, as it's best to trade with countries that are different to you, rather than similar to you.

Aborigines, Maori, inuit, cree....?

We sell mostly services. Doesn't matter how far away the country is. For things like lithium, iron ore etc... we won't get that from europe.

We will trade with europe. The idea is with the free ports we bring in the raw materials. Build the products here then ship to europe. Levels up the north. As the worlds 4th (possibly 3rd) biggest trading block we will be less disadvantaged in any trade deals with europe. Similar goals and mindsets. Balanced economies so won't be swamped with cheap labour. I'm in favour.
For all that, we trade most with our geographic neighbours. Quel suprise! And it is the same the world over, distance matters. You want your lettuce to come from the americas or Australasia? And why would you want all the extra pollutants associated with moving stuff huge distances? Both air and sea freight is horribly polluting.

Then there is the recently forgotten sovereignty thing. It was massive a couple of years back. We wouldn’t control trade laws in the UK we would have give this up to a ‘supranational’ entity, something that we just got back

Nice to see the Brexitists out in force for something positive however. Just ironic it’s for a trade setup - after we just binned one with our most local nations.

In economics, there are not many empirical principles as clear as distance having an effect on bilateral trade.

For all that, we trade most with our geographic neighbours. Quel suprise! And it is the same the world over, distance matters. You want your lettuce to come from the americas or Australasia? And why would you want all the extra pollutants associated with moving stuff huge distances? Both air and sea freight is horribly polluting.

Then there is the recently forgotten sovereignty thing. It was massive a couple of years back. We wouldn’t control trade laws in the UK we would have give this up to a ‘supranational’ entity, something that we just got back

Nice to see the Brexitists out in force for something positive however. Just ironic it’s for a trade setup - after we just binned one with our most local nations.

In economics, there are not many empirical principles as clear as distance having an effect on bilateral trade.

Who said we would stop trading with europe?

Who is the sovereign of all 4 countries? Lol

Who said we would stop trading with europe?

Who is the sovereign of all 4 countries? Lol

you said it didn’t matter how far away a nation is, but the data doesn’t back that up. It apparently does matter.

focusing on freeing up trade with far away nations who we don’t trade with as much might be a good idea, but freeing up trade with nations we do trade with would be an even better one ☺️

you said it didn’t matter how far away a nation is, but the data doesn’t back that up. It apparently does matter.

focusing on freeing up trade with far away nations who we don’t trade with as much might be a good idea, but freeing up trade with nations we do trade with would be an even better one ☺️

If you are going to argue something i said. Try and argue with what i actually said. Our services, banking, insurance etc... doesen't depend on distance.

Why can't we trade with both?

Also the country china exports most to is the us. Which is on the opposite side of the planet.

I love the mental gymnastics people do. The eu is the most protectionist economy on the planet. So do we want globalisation, or not? Should we have more trade with africa, help their economies? South america, asia. All places that have had far higher growth rates than the eu since we've been in it. Also canada controls the northwest passage.

Anyway. Wasn't asking about brexit. That's done. Was asking what you thought about canzuk. Yes or no?

You also have to think with the uk, nz and aus claims on antarctica. The 4 countries would claim a huge amount of the worlds natural resources.

Last edited:
Back