• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Because they are bad
Very bad
I said it last weekend
West Ham aren’t and weren’t really creating anything IMO
It’s why these games are won by mistakes
West Han are a decent team. Well organised, have a game plan and have some good players. I expect them to finish above us again this season unless they go deep into the Europa and pick up fatigue and injuries.

Poch never did anything on the sidelines
He was very passive
He was also poor with subs
He was also likeable

That just isn't true, mate. He was poor with subs, but he was a madman on the touchline for most of his time here, barring the last 12-odd months.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard him bellowing 'PUUUSH' off to the side of the screen, tbh. In person, as early as the friendly in Toronto in 2014, he was hopping around like a madman yelling at (I think) Townsend for being out of position. And if it wasn't him, it was Jesus Perez gesticulating and yelling.

Even Mourinho had that Portuguese bloke we hired to do the yelling for him- Sacramento.

It does matter, imo.

I agree
But when we played counter attacking the teams that played side to side against us were “in control” according to a lot of our fans
You said it vs Wolves didn’t you?
Our game v Wolves was a close one. I felt that a draw would’ve been a fair result. I think today a 0-0 was the best result we could’ve got. The second half was especially appalling.

West Han are a decent team. Well organised, have a game plan and have some good players. I expect them to finish above us again this season unless they go deep into the Europa and pick up fatigue and injuries.
There well organised functional side
Squad depth may hurt them but we will see

That just isn't true, mate. He was poor with subs, but he was a madman on the touchline for most of his time here, barring the last 12-odd months.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard him bellowing 'PUUUSH' off to the side of the screen, tbh. In person, as early as the friendly in Toronto in 2014, he was hopping around like a madman yelling at (I think) Townsend for being out of position. And if it wasn't him, it was Jesus Perez gesticulating and yelling.

Even Mourinho had that Portuguese bloke we hired to do the yelling for him- Sacramento.

It does matter, imo.
I’ve seen and heard Nuno do exactly that at the games (not on tV though)
For the European game the other week you could hear Nuno (we were behind him) telling the players what to do

I’ve seen and heard Nuno do exactly that at the games (not on tV though)
For the European game the other week you could hear Nuno (we were behind him) telling the players what to do

Fair enough, but personally, I haven't heard him once in three months - nor seen him do it either. The one time this game the camera panned to the dugout, Moyes was yelling at someone, and Nuno was standing there, arms crossed, looking off into the distance.

And tbh, it isn' t just me, I'm also going on the articles about him being passive and distant in and out of games (I think Ally Gold had a few recently) and what Wolves fans were saying when we appointed him. It doesn't seem to be a thing with the guy, although admittedly you've seen him do it so you may have a different view of that.

T
Fair enough, but personally, I haven't heard him once in three months - nor seen him do it either. The one time this game the camera panned to the dugout, Moyes was yelling at someone, and Nuno was standing there, arms crossed, looking off into the distance.

And tbh, it isn' t just me, I'm also going on the articles about him being passive and distant in and out of games (I think Ally Gold had a few recently) and what Wolves fans were saying when we appointed him. It doesn't seem to be a thing with the guy, although admittedly you've seen him do it so you may have a different view of that.

there are some articles saying he isn’t liked, I agree. The Wolves players loved him.
Jose was a clam buy we have Moura saying he was the coach he lives the most
I didn’t expect to hear him when we played Mura but we did . He barely moved but you heard him
It’s all a bit odd and perceptions of course
There were Spurs fans saying Ole knew his stuff not that long ago…. Now look

T

there are some articles saying he isn’t liked, I agree. The Wolves players loved him.
Jose was a clam buy we have Moura saying he was the coach he lives the most
I didn’t expect to hear him when we played Mura but we did . He barely moved but you heard him
It’s all a bit odd and perceptions of course
There were Spurs fans saying Ole knew his stuff not that long ago…. Now look

Actually, re: the articles saying he isn't liked, I'm fairly sure (though this is just imo) that they're coming from the likes of Doherty, Davies and Winks, or more broadly, the second-choices who aren' t playing. He's probably tolerated by most of the squad.

Now, is he respected? I think it would be hard for anyone to go from the warm, fatherly managerial style of Poch (last 12 months aside) to the excitement of having a legendary coach like Mourinho to having...Nuno. I think the squad is relieved not to have the toxicity of Mourinho at the helm, but I doubt Nuno is really respected in any significant way. He knows he's a stopgap, the squad knows he's a stop gap, the chairman knows it, the fans know it too.

In a situation like that, imo, you have to be *more* communicative, not less. Even AVB was seemingly more audibly vocal and active than Nuno is (based on what I saw and heard in 2012/2013 - the 'touchhline squat' he always did comes to mind) - and that's AVB, the substitute schoolteacher of a coach who drily called himself 'the group one' to ward off the Special One Mk2 titles awarded to him by the media before his Chelsea team had kicked a ball.

More broadly, I agree it's all about perception, though. And the thing is, at Spurs, I think perceptions mean that only a visibly communicative, energetic, larger-than-life, man-manager type coach would work with us.

BMJ was famously gruff, but he had personality on the touchline. Harry was a communicative, larger-than-life character. Poch likewise.

At Spurs, any manager is fighting a series of things that hold us back - the fans' weariness with always being the butt of the joke, the famous historical Spursiness and proneness to collapse that lurks around every corner, the cheapskate deadweights we have for owners, players who think they're all that without the skill or heart to back it up, and an overriding sense of mental fragility around the place.

I think the type of manager who succeeds here is one who convinces everyone to believe in him and his players, despite all the hoodoos. And that means having a charismatic communicator - not the quiet tactical type like AVB or (perhaps) Nuno.

Actually, re: the articles saying he isn't liked, I'm fairly sure (though this is just imo) that they're coming from the likes of Doherty, Davies and Winks, or more broadly, the second-choices who aren' t playing. He's probably tolerated by most of the squad.

Now, is he respected? I think it would be hard for anyone to go from the warm, fatherly managerial style of Poch (last 12 months aside) to the excitement of having a legendary coach like Mourinho to having...Nuno. I think the squad is relieved not to have the toxicity of Mourinho at the helm, but I doubt Nuno is really respected in any significant way. He knows he's a stopgap, the squad knows he's a stop gap, the chairman knows it, the fans know it too.

In a situation like that, imo, you have to be *more* communicative, not less. Even AVB was seemingly more audibly vocal and active than Nuno is (based on what I saw and heard in 2012/2013 - the 'touchhline squat' he always did comes to mind) - and that's AVB, the substitute schoolteacher of a coach who drily called himself 'the group one' to ward off the Special One Mk2 titles awarded to him by the media before his Chelsea team had kicked a ball.

More broadly, I agree it's all about perception, though. And the thing is, at Spurs, I think perceptions mean that only a visibly communicative, energetic, larger-than-life, man-manager type coach would work with us.

BMJ was famously gruff, but he had personality on the touchline. Harry was a communicative, larger-than-life character. Poch likewise.

At Spurs, any manager is fighting a series of things that hold us back - the fans' weariness with always being the butt of the joke, the famous historical Spursiness and proneness to collapse that lurks around every corner, the cheapskate deadweights we have for owners, players who think they're all that without the skill or heart to back it up, and an overriding sense of mental fragility around the place.

I think the type of manager who succeeds here is one who convinces everyone to believe in him and his players, despite all the hoodoos. And that means having a charismatic communicator - not the quiet tactical type like AVB or (perhaps) Nuno.
Poch didn’t speak English publicly when he joined

Short-term: Utd's result takes the pressure off us and we're not quite as much of a laughing stock as we might otherwise have been
Long-term: Utd sack OGS, appoint Conte, and we're dust in their rear view mirror

I am so tired of being bored brickless by the club I love.

Poch didn’t speak English publicly when he joined

He did, mate. Levy made it a precondition of him coming, as I recall - his first video with us ('we will try everything, to make you proud, of this football club') was in English precisely to dismiss that speculation out of hand, and from his first press conference on, he spoke in English. He was defo uncomfortable at first, but by the middle of 2014/2015 he was cracking jokes about Wikipedia and talking animatedly about his hopes and dreams for us.

Sigh. All this just makes me more nostalgic for those days, tbh. Good memories, better times. :)

Back