• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

Why have one tit in No.10, when you can have two.

Surely three?
tridevil-copy.jpg

It's only for people who are interested. Nobody is getting forced into it.
Seems to me as if it's offering it to those who could install it if needed anyway. That's fine if they're only showing people the carrot. If they take the stick out then it'll leave a lot of people facing the costs but unable to do anything about them.

I'm pretty sure that's already the case with most people paying increased energy costs due to enforced government schemes they couldn't possibly take advantage of.

Seems this is confirmed.

I was peripherally involved in something called Project Sunshine a few years ago, that was looking at solar panel materials and efficiency. The basic premise was there's enough solar energy hitting a square meter at the equator in an hour to power a whole metropolis for a week. We just have to get smarter at capturing it.

I was peripherally involved in something called Project Sunshine a few years ago, that was looking at solar panel materials and efficiency. The basic premise was there's enough solar energy hitting a square meter at the equator in an hour to power a whole metropolis for a week. We just have to get smarter at capturing it.

Agree that we need to get better at capturing it but not sure about a square meter being enough to power a whole metropolis for a week. Modern solar panels usually get around 15-20% effieciency of converting. Sure that's right?

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels/most-efficient

Agree that we need to get better at capturing it but not sure about a square meter being enough to power a whole metropolis for a week. Modern solar panels usually get around 15-20% effieciency of converting. Sure that's right?

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/solar-panels/most-efficient

I can't find that document at the moment; but they use a slightly different version of the premise here: "capturing all the energy in just one hour's worth of sunlight would enable us to meet the planet's food and energy needs for an entire year" (www.amazon.co.uk/Project-Sunshine-science-fuel-world/dp/1848315139)

My house hasn’t got big enough garden for a ground source heat pump nor has it got underfloor heating, so would those air source heat pumps be able to keep family as warm as gas powered combi-boiler if we get another hunk of burning love From The East during the winter?

Dunno.

Hmm...I think your maths are wrong here. Square kilometer maybe?

a square meter all the way round the equator?

No idea. Up at this latitude we get just above 1000kwh of annual solar radiation for a square meter if the panel is south facing and tilted between 30-45 degress. So the power output for a sq kilometer of domestic panels, for a fairly bricky panel would about 50000kWh/yr. It would be double or triple that depending on panel efficiency.

My house hasn’t got big enough garden for a ground source heat pump nor has it got underfloor heating, so would those air source heat pumps be able to keep family as warm as gas powered combi-boiler if we get another hunk of burning love From The East during the winter?

I'd stay away from ground source for price reasons. If you have a small garden then you are talking about about drilling down which is huge money. Air to water is much cheaper (but not cheap).

WIll it heat your house depends on how well insulated and airtight your house is. If the heat loss from the house is too much then the heat pump will be constantly struggling to compensate, and rather than the heat pump saving you money it would drive your electricity bills way up. New houses to current regs are suitable for this reason, and especially if they have underfloor heating which requires a low-temperature flow of water. If you get the setup right, very small heating bills. If a system is put in an unsuitable property then you'll regret it.

Back