• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

January Transfer Thread - it couldn't open and close any quicker

Yes, and with Wink and Dele not exactly first choice, we do need to find some HG players

It is the problem that those at the club for the last few years were not thinking long term. If you are not bringing through home grown players you need to sign them.

Eze, Bowen, Olise have all come from the championship and count as home grown. Why we went for Doherty ahead of the excellent matty cash I do not know.

The are structual problems at spurs that I do not see getting fixed by this director of football.

It is the problem that those at the club for the last few years were not thinking long term. If you are not bringing through home grown players you need to sign them.

Eze, Bowen, Olise have all come from the championship and count as home grown. Why we went for Doherty ahead of the excellent matty cash I do not know.

The are structual problems at spurs that I do not see getting fixed by this director of football.

Lets see. He came in at relatively short notice before the window so possibly went to what he knew. There's players like Sam Johnstone who seem to tick a number of boxes and are cheap - lets see whether we go for some like that this Jan and next summer

We've also recently hired that new guy from Derby via Everton who is meant to be focussed on players in the 17-21 age range I believe

You raise some fair points, but you have to remember who our managers were at the time that we could have gone for those players. For example, i'm sure if Pochettino had been with us longer, Eze would have been with us instead of Palace..

Huge ask for Paratici to fix that over a summer when he came in late, had an extended head coach and Kane saga to deal with.

Next summer we should see more of what the plan is when he's had time to improve the structural and long term thinking issues you point out.

We were in need for a couple of immediate solutions, so far hard to argue that Paratici didn't get it right with Emerson and Romero. Sarr and Gil are two of the more exciting young players at could have signed.

I agree that we need more long term thinking with regards to HG players and that the Championship is a good place to sign from. Hope we see more of that going forward. January will be difficult, but perhaps possible?

Huge ask for Paratici to fix that over a summer when he came in late, had an extended head coach and Kane saga to deal with.

Next summer we should see more of what the plan is when he's had time to improve the structural and long term thinking issues you point out.

We were in need for a couple of immediate solutions, so far hard to argue that Paratici didn't get it right with Emerson and Romero. Sarr and Gil are two of the more exciting young players at could have signed.

I agree that we need more long term thinking with regards to HG players and that the Championship is a good place to sign from. Hope we see more of that going forward. January will be difficult, but perhaps possible?
100% we should be mining the Championship to fill our HG quota, if players in the youth setup aren’t ready to step up.

Yeah I am being a little hard on Paratici. He had a lot on his plate this summer.

But it goes to show how bad our team planning has been the last few years.

I would hope we take Pleats recommendations more seriously in future. He seems to have a good eye for young British talent.

I assume we have so many young keepers on our books because if they are not good enough in a few years they can come back as our third choice keeper.

i think thats why we've hired that new guy from Everton. His focus is meant to be on signing 17-21 year olds

I agree but I hope that we are prepared to loan out 19 and 20 year old. Because very few are good enough for the first team and academy football is wasted on them.

I heard brighton have a couple of over age players in their academy to help guide the youngsters on the pitch during games. This is the sort of left field thinking I really like and hope we will do.

Yeah I am being a little hard on Paratici. He had a lot on his plate this summer.

But it goes to show how bad our team planning has been the last few years.

I would hope we take Pleats recommendations more seriously in future. He seems to have a good eye for young British talent.

I assume we have so many young keepers on our books because if they are not good enough in a few years they can come back as our third choice keeper.

I know it's been going on longer, but it was the Jorge Mendes 'favours' for Doherty, Gedson and Vinícius, instead of picking up the likes of Cash, Bogle, Eze, Watkins etc. that we are paying for now.

I heard brighton have a couple of over age players in their academy to help guide the youngsters on the pitch during games. This is the sort of left field thinking I really like and hope we will do.

I'm not sure. Over 21s still being in the academy is a sign of something gone wrong IMO. Carter-Vickers is the worst current example, but we've a history of keeping a handful of 22/23 year olds attached for no purpose, to their big detriment.

I agree but I hope that we are prepared to loan out 19 and 20 year old. Because very few are good enough for the first team and academy football is wasted on them.

They signed 35 year old Andrew Crofts lol

Back