• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Old faces in the (1960 Spurs) crowd

Whiffler

Jermaine Jenas
Perhaps it's been on before, but a short Look at Life feature is showing this evening.

Talking Pictures

Saturday 9th October

18:35-18:50

Look at Life Saturday Fever​

1960: A look at the phenomenon of Saturday football through the eyes of fans watching Tottenham Hotspur​

Look at life ran as a mini-documentary/info/feature on a range of topics, probably for the cinema circuit. Probably in colour.

Old farts among our number are invited to pick themselves out. 1960 .... hmmm, anything happening that year ?

Old school mate back in the 50s owns Talking Pictures, he was one of the few kids who didnt support Spurs, Woolwich, United or Celtic, he was a Grimsby fan.

Dv2vDT-WwAEK6eb.jpg

Can you see @parklane1 with the mullet? :)

This thread is nothing without...
Possible that I would have been at that match, but memory fails. Mostly stood on the Shelf, so unlikely I would have been captured in the close-ups of fans nearest the pitch.

As a teenager I'd cycle the 6 miles return trip from Wightman Road, Harringay on matchdays. Would pay 6d (2.5p) to park my bike securely in one of the old, run-down terraced houses that backed right onto the SW corner of the ground in Park Lane. Having had a previous one stolen from outside the ground I'd learnt my lesson.

Possible that I would have been at that match, but memory fails. Mostly stood on the Shelf, so unlikely I would have been captured in the close-ups of fans nearest the pitch.

As a teenager I'd cycle the 6 miles return trip from Wightman Road, Harringay on matchdays. Would pay 6d (2.5p) to park my bike securely in one of the old, run-down terraced houses that backed right onto the SW corner of the ground in Park Lane. Having had a previous one stolen from outside the ground I'd learnt my lesson.
Just checking the records has jogged my memory. Now sure I WAS at the City game. Tottenham were favourites to win the League, having excited the fans all season with their dazzling brand of attacking football. We'd already been dubbed 'Super Spurs' by the media. Despite that the title chase was always close, because Burnley and the mighty Wolves - as they were then - were constantly snapping at our heals, and we had a horrible habit of dropping valuable points to lowly teams when least expected.

In those days the fixture list always included three games over the Easter period - Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Monday. Just prior to the City game, Good Friday, we had spanked Chelsea 3-1 at their ground, so excitement prior to the Easter Saturday k.o. was at fever-pitch, only to be horribly deflated by that surprise 0-1 reverse to City. We then lost by the same 0-1 scoreline in the return game at home to Chelsea on Easter Monday and that was what did for us. We ended up finishing third with 53 points to Burnley (55 pts) and Wolves (54).

Just checking the records has jogged my memory. Now sure I WAS at the City game. Tottenham were favourites to win the League, having excited the fans all season with their dazzling brand of attacking football. We'd already been dubbed 'Super Spurs' by the media. Despite that the title chase was always close, because Burnley and the mighty Wolves - as they were then - were constantly snapping at our heals, and we had a horrible habit of dropping valuable points to lowly teams when least expected.

In those days the fixture list always included three games over the Easter period - Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Monday. Just prior to the City game, Good Friday, we had spanked Chelsea 3-1 at their ground, so excitement prior to the Easter Saturday k.o. was at fever-pitch, only to be horribly deflated by that surprise 0-1 reverse to City. We then lost by the same 0-1 scoreline in the return game at home to Chelsea on Easter Monday and that was what did for us. We ended up finishing third with 53 points to Burnley (55 pts) and Wolves (54).

Brilliant! I love hearing these recollections of games gone by. I am suffering with my memory these days but at least for my era (late 70s onwards) there is a lot reporting readily available, especially more recent times with social media, recording ability, streams etc.). I am currently reading an Alan Gilzean biography and one of the things that really stands out is the detail in the newspaper reporting of the time that is replicated in the book. It’s a reminder of what we have lost (good descriptive reporting) in return for visual accessibility of matches. I prefer to watch, but something has definitely been lost in the quality of written reporting.
(And Alan Gilzean - what a player!)

That's the first time I saw Jimmy Greaves and of course he scored, those Easter and Christmas games always seemed to have teams playing each other within a couple of days with some strange scores and results, little rotation in those days. Remember losing 5-2 at Liverpool after being 2 up at halftime on Good Friday and beating them 7-2 on Easter Monday, with a draw at Fulham on the Saturday between.

That's the first time I saw Jimmy Greaves and of course he scored, those Easter and Christmas games always seemed to have teams playing each other within a couple of days with some strange scores and results, little rotation in those days. Remember losing 5-2 at Liverpool after being 2 up at halftime on Good Friday and beating them 7-2 on Easter Monday, with a draw at Fulham on the Saturday between.
I do remember the thrilling 7-2 thrashing of Liverpool on Easter Monday only because it my first ever game watching whilst seated. Was in the upper deck of the Archibald Leach East Stand, right up in the Gods. Sadly can no longer remember any of the goals, just a vague memory of Jimmy scoring four and of liff Jones rampaging down the right all game, with 'pool desperately trying to catch him and tripping him to the ground whenever they got near enough. The Jones boy however was wily enough to down every time he was touched, and every time (or so it seemed) the ref awarded us a FK ha-haa!

Brilliant! I love hearing these recollections of games gone by. I am suffering with my memory these days but at least for my era (late 70s onwards) there is a lot reporting readily available, especially more recent times with social media, recording ability, streams etc.). I am currently reading an Alan Gilzean biography and one of the things that really stands out is the detail in the newspaper reporting of the time that is replicated in the book. It’s a reminder of what we have lost (good descriptive reporting) in return for visual accessibility of matches. I prefer to watch, but something has definitely been lost in the quality of written reporting.
(And Alan Gilzean - what a player!)

" Gilzean,Gilzean" " Born is the king of White hart Lane"

No strap on, Face book idiots, telling everyone how poor we were and how we want change.

It was a much simpler time, we seem to support the team and except the good with the bad. It saddens me when I think back I was so excited to go with my dad as I had him to myself for a few hours and as soon as I became a teenager I dumped him and went with my mates, oh how callous I was.

Last edited:
Back