• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saudi Sportswashing Machine

Can't be good for the sport, can it? Already have City and Chel$ea oiling their way to success. I don't think the PL wanted them, but may have no way to block it.

Wish I could give this poxy sport up tbh.

Wonder how they'll manage the whole living in the NE thing (not a dig to those who do) as historically haven't players wanted to move to other parts of the country? maybe that's a myth...

Oh yeh, money!
There was talk of them having a training base in London

Makes the league even less competitive
Well, it'll likely add another one into the small group of clubs that can actually win the thing each year. Is that more or less competitive?

It makes it even less likely that the likes of us will do anything, certainly.

Had they done anything serious about maintaining a remotely level playing field to this point, you wouldn't need a bunch of despots to buy your club to have any chance of doing anything other than exist.

Well, it'll likely add another one into the small group of clubs that can actually win the thing each year. Is that more or less competitive?

It makes it even less likely that the likes of us will do anything, certainly.

Had they done anything serious about maintaining a remotely level playing field to this point, you wouldn't need a bunch of despots to buy your club to have any chance of doing anything other than exist.
I’d say very soon we would have a competition between 2 teams in this country
People think united will be able to stay there…. No chance
Pool…. No chance
Roman can’t compete in reality

Last edited:
Saudia brick sponsorship will be incoming for something stupid. Along with a ground sponsorship of Saudi Aramco

I’d say very soon we would have a commotion between 2 teams in this country
People think united will be able to stay there…. No chance
Pool…. No chance
Roman can’t compete in reality
At the moment it's largely a one horse race anyway, Abu Dhabi are most likely to win it (3 of the last 4), the others are more occasional winners these days. Yanited haven't won it in for years. So if you add Saudi Arabia into the mix perhaps you just dilute the Emirates Marketing Project processions a bit more?

Either way, clubs like us can whistle for it. Same as we do now.

So, the Saudis have got the green light from the Premier League to buy Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Following the precedent of Emirates Marketing Project, that means that Saudi Sportswashing Machine will be on a par with Chelsea and Man. C in terms of player quality. Daniel must be tearing his hair out (metaphorically obviously). Any one else find this a depressing development or are will you be cheered to see a new name on all the trophies?

So, the Saudis have got the green light from the Premier League to buy Saudi Sportswashing Machine. Following the precedent of Emirates Marketing Project, that means that Saudi Sportswashing Machine will be on a par with Chelsea and Man. C in terms of player quality. Daniel must be tearing his hair out (metaphorically obviously). Any one else find this a depressing development or are will you be cheered to see a new name on all the trophies?
No it's just depressing.

There's a massive crisis coming ahead and football authorities are desperate for fresh cash injections. So long as everybody continue to insist on maintaining the same business model, buying your way to the top is the only way to go. Whether it's Saudi Sportswashing Machine, City, Chelsea or Barnet is completely irrelevant. This might save a couple of 'normal' PL clubs if they manage to sell ordinary players for outrageous amounts of money but until someone finds a way to level the playing field, most competitions will remain pointless.

Eh. It just puts into clearer focus what a dereliction of duty it was to make the best manager we've had in 50 years work with peanuts and shoe strings when we had a real, genuine chance to break into that top grouping. That was our shot - a bit of investment would have done it. A bit of investment was the difference between Klopp and Poch, between FSG's Liverpool and us at the peak of our powers in those years.

We cheaped out, we fell behind, and it will be ever so slightly harder to get back in now with the Saudis around hoovering up players. That was our shot, and it is galling how much Levy and Lewis' parsimony killed our dreams then - we went 18 months without a single signing when one or two was maybe all we needed. Sickening, honestly.

And it will keep getting harder as more sportswashing billionaires trying to hide the blood in their past show up, because the model is still appealing and will keep working, imo. While we' re saddled with the magnificent ENIC duo sucking the hopes out of this club - Joe Lewis, tax exile billionaire in the Bahamas who made his money shorting the pound on Black Wednesday and prefers buying art to bothering about us, and Dan Levy, his henchman.

None of this is inevitable - we can dream of different, but this lot have to go first. No other way around it.

Btw, if (big if) it all works out, good for the Geordies - they've been through some tough times with Mike Ashley, they deserve a bit of happiness and success. Something to cheer about, and tell their grandkids about.

Can't be good for the sport, can it? Already have City and Chel$ea oiling their way to success. I don't think the PL wanted them, but may have no way to block it.

They could moan and release statements saying they're against it and it will ruin football in this country that the club will have access to more money than most of the league, the Saudis are creating a closed shop and it's gonna' fudge grass roots football and ...

Oh wait, the money will be in THEIR league... oh they don't give a fudge.

Honestly I fudging hate football sometimes, I'd love (love!) to think that if this was Spurs I would be disgusted and would fudge the club off and go watch Daggers every week, but in reality would I? probably not.

At least there will be another middle of the road club competing financially with Emirates Marketing Project.
After the 2 to 3 years it will take for Saudi Sportswashing Machine to pump themselves full of fake sponsorship and signings they couldn't afford without a sugar daddy I think that will cut the top 4 off for us permanently. Hopefully that will then accelerate our owners deciding to sell THFC.

Back