• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting XI?

This is how Nuno keeps his job. I think Højbjerg needs to sit out a few games, as he's been shocking lately. Could potentially try Lo Celso alongside Skipp, but I feel we need to play it a bit safe, and shore things up. For that reason I've put Dier there, as we really don't have anyone else to play there. I think Romero has also played DM a few times, so could play him there, and any one of Dier, Rodon or Sanchez at CB.

This formation gives us a lot more options going forward, as you can play Gil, Ndombele or Dele behind Kane. Dele and Gil can play wide, and we have Bergwijn coming back soon too. Gets the best out of a lot more players, unlike the 4-3-3 that doesn't suit any of them!
View attachment 12809
Can have Dier dropping into defence to make a back 3 and let the two FBs get forward when in possession like we used to under Poch.

There's nothing 'solid' about Dier being in central midfield. He hasn't played well in CM for about 3 years. It would make our woeful build up play even worse.

If we're going to play two DM's it has to be Skipp and Hojberg.
Hojberg has been poor so far this season

The team which I would be playing is:

------------------------Lloris------------------------

---Tanganga---Romero---Rodon----Reguilon----

-------------Skipp/PEH-------Lo Celso------------

---Moura/Gil-------Ndombele-----------Son----

------------------------Kane---------------------

4-2-3-1

---------------------------Lloris------------------------------------
Royal--------Romero------Dier--------------Reguillon
------------Hojbjerg-----------Skipp/Lo Celso----------
----Moura------------Kane----------------------Gil---------
---------------------------Son---------------------------------------

Last edited:
4-2-3-1

---------------------------------------------Lloris----------------------------------------
Royal------------------------Romero-----------------Dier--------------------Reguillon
------------------------------Hojbjerg-----------Skipp/Lo Celso-----------------------
----------Moura----------------------------Kane-----------------------------Gil---------
----------------------------------------------Son-------------------------------------------
Is go with this if we’re okaying 4-2-3-1
Some pace and trickery up front
Solid base behind in theory

4-2-3-1

---------------------------------------------Lloris----------------------------------------
Royal------------------------Romero-----------------Dier--------------------Reguillon
------------------------------Hojbjerg-----------Skipp/Lo Celso-----------------------
----------Moura----------------------------Kane-----------------------------Gil---------
----------------------------------------------Son-------------------------------------------
I think we need either Lo Celso or Ndombele deep in midfield to make that work. Either that or rely heavily on long balls.

Hojbjerg and Skipp would make us fairly solid, but if we're asking for improvements in buildup play those two deep in midfield and Romero on asks Romero to do what imo can't be done.

Over time, yes, we'd be able to improve our buildup play with that line-up, up to a point. Perhaps just being solid, counter attacking and long ball is what we have to do to stop the negative development? We'd gamble on being clinical/lucky though for quite a while.

4-2-3-1

Something like this is looking more attractive. I'd play Sessengon instead of Reguilon. Ndombele needs to play games to improve. He's both a problem and a solution! He can open up teams, he can also leave us open. He finds the hard things easy and the easy things hard. But I think we have to play him. Gil is pushing for a first-team place, but I don't think you'd play him every game just yet. Tanganga is hungry and committed, so I'd start him until Royal shows he's better. So I'd opt for the following:

Tanganga------------------------Romero-----------------Dier--------------------Sessengon
----------Moura-------------------------Ndombele-----------------------------Son---------
----------------------------------------------Kane-------------------------------------------

Gil could rotate with Ndombele or Son. Ndombele has an eye for goal and can open up space, we know that. I think Sessegnon and Son could be devastating down the wing. Out of possession we should be able to drop into a midfield 5 and block out teams.

Our problems are not really the formation. It is getting a stable setup with everyone settled. That is our issue. First Kane was off, then the Argies out, some injuries...a new coach who needs to gain fans and players trust still.

..................Lloris.......................

.......Rodon/ Tanga.........Dier/Sanchez

..................Romero.....................

Royal.............................................Reggie/Sess

................PEH...........Skipp...................

.........................NDummy/LoCelso/ Moura/Gil...........

............................Kane.. ..Son.........................

The one behind Son and Kane has a totally free role with no defensive duties.

Something like this is looking more attractive. I'd play Sessengon instead of Reguilon. Ndombele needs to play games to improve. He's both a problem and a solution! He can open up teams, he can also leave us open. He finds the hard things easy and the easy things hard. But I think we have to play him. Gil is pushing for a first-team place, but I don't think you'd play him every game just yet. Tanganga is hungry and committed, so I'd start him until Royal shows he's better. So I'd opt for the following:

Tanganga------------------------Romero-----------------Dier--------------------Sessengon
----------Moura-------------------------Ndombele-----------------------------Son---------
----------------------------------------------Kane-------------------------------------------

Gil could rotate with Ndombele or Son. Ndombele has an eye for goal and can open up space, we know that. I think Sessegnon and Son could be devastating down the wing. Out of possession we should be able to drop into a midfield 5 and block out teams.

Our problems are not really the formation. It is getting a stable setup with everyone settled. That is our issue. First Kane was off, then the Argies out, some injuries...a new coach who needs to gain fans and players trust still.
Sessegnon has been really kept out of the “process” it seems to me

Sessegnon has been really kept out of the “process” it seems to me

He hasn't done anything to 'deserve' a spot when he was played in the Europa; then was he injured? Sessengon needs to settle into the team, but if he did, I think he'd be better than Reggie, who I like but flatters to deceive. He promises a lot but doesn't really deliver. Defensively I think he is a weakness, and attacking he doesn't deliver as much as he promises. Sessengon at 21 has more potential. He could play as a wingback too with 3 CBs as someone outlined in this thread.

He hasn't done anything to 'deserve' a spot when he was played in the Europa; then was he injured? Sessengon needs to settle into the team, but if he did, I think he'd be better than Reggie, who I like but flatters to deceive. He promises a lot but doesn't really deliver. Defensively I think he is a weakness, and attacking he doesn't deliver as much as he promises. Sessengon at 21 has more potential. He could play as a wingback too with 3 CBs as someone outlined in this thread.
Sessegnon can't hold a candle to Reguilon. It is not even close.

Sessegnon can't hold a candle to Reguilon. It is not even close.

How do you know? Sessengnon hasn’t had a run of games for you to pass judgment.
He’s rusty and needs to play.

Regulion tonight was a good example: he promised a lot. Was active getting forward. But when the chances presented themselves to score or assist, he failed to take them. He’s close but he’s not delivering. In defence I find him a slight weakness. Sess’ a little stronger and maybe even faster.

All in all Regulion is the better player at the moment, there is no doubt. But if you could get Sess playing and in a grove - to me he offers more at both ends of the pitch.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Lloris
Emerson Sanchez Romero Reguilon
Skipp Højbjerg
Moura Lo Celso Son
Kane
Would probably go with Dier over Sanchez but don't think there is a real argument against the rest of the team.
If he doesn't start with the front 6 that you have (baring injury) against Villa then Nuno is asking to be sacked.

Lloris
Emerson Sanchez Romero Reguilon
Skipp Højbjerg
Moura Lo Celso Son
Kane

We'd be mad not to start this team against Villa. I'd prefer Gil in for Moura eventually, but at the moment, I think this is our best line-up.

Back