• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

We have collapsed. It happened over the international break where we mismanaged the South American players on top of the whole Harry Kane saga.

It’s not like we were even a top four side before that. Take Sons goals away and where are we?

We've had success by looking at which lower team managers play 'our way' and offer them the step up to manage us. That's why I was aboard the Potter train.

Nuno doesn't fit the above description and neither did AVB or Mourinho...

The lack of goals from his teams makes him the wrong person. It also pre-dates Spurs - its his way. He's not the right fit and better to cut our losses asap

I'd be astonished if Levy and Paratici arent talking about successors. I think 2-3 more defeats and he's gone. Maybe we even take advantage of the October week off and can him then?

Will be interesting to see if he changes his tactics. Clearly we don’t have the players for a flat 4-3-3. A move to a 4-2-3-1 would probably be best. Deploying a number 10 would make better use of Ndombele or Dele in that role.

Reactions: rxl
Will be interesting to see if he changes his tactics. Clearly we don’t have the players for a flat 4-3-3. A move to a 4-2-3-1 would probably be best. Deploying a number 10 would make better use of Ndombele or Dele in that role.

Needs a change of intent too. Being more active without the ball, and defending 10 yards higher up the pitch.

These are exactly the same sort of issues which we had with Mourinho. He's Jose but without the trophies, though with a nicer personality

Listening to that first half performance, you have to worry that Nuno is indeed a rabbit in the headlights, not helped by the fact that he and the players (and every man and his dog) knows that he was like 7th/8th choice as manager/coach.

He seems far less a qunt than you-know-who but this is a results business - and this Arsenal team are the most mediocre i've seen in my lifetime, yet they d!ck us with ease!

The bigger issue - as i said in the summer - is that Levy/ENIC have now for all to see clearly made their sporting operation one that is not as attractive as it should be both to players (where was the striker we assumed we'd be getting??) and now even to coaches (and we are known to pay well, but who cares if you know ultimately the ownership when it comes to the crunch constantly show themselves to not be as bothered about pushing their football side forwards?)

Unless Levy/ENIC actively show they have changed/are changing the THFC job is EVEN LESS attractive than we all thought it was during the summer..so likely Nuno will have to stay for that reason alone...let's hope he can conjure up more attacking/effective tactics...

The lack of goals from his teams makes him the wrong person. It also pre-dates Spurs - its his way. He's not the right fit and better to cut our losses asap

I'd be astonished if Levy and Paratici arent talking about successors. I think 2-3 more defeats and he's gone. Maybe we even take advantage of the October week off and can him then?

Unfortunately, the damage is done. The way we looked for a new manager last summer was shambolic at best and, once again, we're goint to pay dearly for our arrogance and carelessness. Even if we sacked Santo now, what kind of message would that send? Every manager knows you need time to get your message across. Now, we have a club who sacked a guy who, righly or wrongly, is considered as one of the best managers of his generation (from what I've seen, he's still got a huge reputation within the game) and then sacks his replacement six games into the season.

Who'd be desperate enough to come to such a club? A lower-league manager or a guy who knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, a guy like... Santo.

To be honest, I don't really care about the results. I had a feeling this was going to be a painful season. But Christ, they had to go for a manager who doesn't offer a single shred of hope. The football's so dire, and he hardly set the world alight with Wolves either. We wouldn't be winning the league with Fonseca, Martinez or Potter but at least, we might be enjoying ourselves every now and then. At times, it feels like your own chairman wants to punish you for being a Spurs fan.

Unfortunately, the damage is done. The way we looked for a new manager last summer was shambolic at best and, once again, we're goint to pay dearly for our arrogance and carelessness. Even if we sacked Santo now, what kind of message would that send? Every manager knows you need time to get your message across. Now, we have a club who sacked a guy who, righly or wrongly, is considered as one of the best managers of his generation (from what I've seen, he's still got a huge reputation within the game) and then sacks his replacement six games into the season.

Who'd be desperate enough to come to such a club? A lower-league manager or a guy who knows it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, a guy like... Santo.

To be honest, I don't really care about the results. I had a feeling this was going to be a painful season. But Christ, they had to go for a manager who doesn't offer a single shred of hope. The football's so dire, and he hardly set the world alight with Wolves either. We wouldn't be winning the league with Fonseca, Martinez or Potter but at least, we might be enjoying ourselves every now and then. At times, it feels like your own chairman wants to punish you for being a Spurs fan.

Ouch, that last bit is brutal (and kind of hard after 20 years to counter actually...)

Seems the players are coming out and suggesting the tactics were to blame. To be fair, at least Nuno is saying it too.

Lucas saying we tried to play long. Hugo saying we were too far apart from each other. Clearly there was a game plan that was poorly suited to the opposition or the players we had put on the pitch.

I didn’t see the Sky commentary but interesting that Neville said the players didn’t look like they believed in the plan. I just wonder what this means for Nuno’s authority. I hope he gets a chance to turn it around. Not because I’m a particularly special fan of his, but because we can’t afford to keep sliding.

I think we need to figure out what works with this squad. And do it. Are we a go for it from minute 1 side. Are we a pick them off in the second half side. Are we high pressing. Are we long ball. We have tried so many different things in the last few games and we need to do whatever works for this squad.

Agree with a lot of that, and the question which you raise 'Who'd be desperate enough to come to such a club' is the only thing which would cause me to think twice about canning him

I wonder if you could get someone older who wouldnt be appointed by any clubs looking to the future. Someone like Favre? You'd need to pay them well, but would a young manager come into this role at the moment? Not sure

To be honest, I don't really care about the results. I had a feeling this was going to be a painful season. But Christ, they had to go for a manager who doesn't offer a single shred of hope. The football's so dire, and he hardly set the world alight with Wolves either. We wouldn't be winning the league with Fonseca, Martinez or Potter but at least, we might be enjoying ourselves every now and then

This is what will kill Nuno. Crap football and crap results only has one outcome

Sorry, I don't want to kick a man down, but I don't really see how saying he got the tactics completely wrong is something that would paint him in a good light either.

You go to the restaurant and the food is so bad that you can't eat anything at all. Then the cook comes up to you say: 'Ok, I really fudged up that recipe. I'll hold my hand up and admit this one's on me. But, hey, come back next week and I'll whip something up'. I'm sure I'd look forward to next week.

There's being a nice guy and then there's admitting you suck at your job. His job is to put a plan together in order to beat the opposition. I know a lot of people disliked Mourinho's 'let's throw someone under the bus' PR strategy but at least, it gave the impression that he knew what he was doing and that the players weren't good enough to execute his master plan. I don't see how the players are supposed to trust a manager who basically says 'I got it completely wrong... well, better luck next time'. How inspiring.

Sorry, I don't want to kick a man down, but I don't really see how saying he got the tactics completely wrong is something that would paint him in a good light either.

You go to the restaurant and the food is so bad that you can't eat anything at all. Then the cook comes up to you say: 'Ok, I really fudged up that recipe. I'll hold my hand up and admit this one's on me. But, hey, come back next week and I'll whip something up'. I'm sure I'd look forward to next week.

There's being a nice guy and then there's admitting you suck at your job. His job is to put a plan together in order to beat the opposition. I know a lot of people disliked Mourinho's 'let's throw someone under the bus' PR strategy but at least, it gave the impression that he knew what he was doing and that the players weren't good enough to execute his master plan. I don't see how the players are supposed to trust a manager who basically says 'I got it completely wrong... well, better luck next time'. How inspiring.

I think it’s neither here nor there personally, but I’m not going to criticise someone for taking their share of the blame. Maybe a leader does need to at least create the perception of infallibility, but yesterday clearly part of the problem was the plan didn’t work. He can either acknowledge what we all saw, or make the situation worse for himself by blaming the players.

I think we need to figure out what style we want to play, which players are capable of executing it, and start doing it. I don’t know how we looked so united and aligned versus City and how it’s now all gone so wrong.

I think it’s neither here nor there personally, but I’m not going to criticise someone for taking their share of the blame. Maybe a leader does need to at least create the perception of infallibility, but yesterday clearly part of the problem was the plan didn’t work. He can either acknowledge what we all saw, or make the situation worse for himself by blaming the players.

I think we need to figure out what style we want to play, which players are capable of executing it, and start doing it. I don’t know how we looked so united and aligned versus City and how it’s now all gone so wrong.

Confidence going after the first Conference league game away in Portgual? Kane joining the team and unity that used to be there now not being there (knowing he wanted out AND spoke to Neville on Sky to say as much when we were still in with a chance of top 4 last season after the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game)?
Other PL working out we aren't to be feared and attacking us more (and Nuno and the players seemingly not comfortable having to deal with such pressure and wilting)?

I agree it's fair enough for him/a manager to own/take some of the blame rather than the throwing under the bus tactic of Jose..

If we don't get a result against Villa I have the feeling that it is going to turn very nasty in the stadium next Sunday.
Doubt it'll get to a sell out so I can't put my ST up for sale. Then again if Chelsea didn't sell I doubt Villa will...

Glad I'll be missing it. Is it on tele? Hope not, I'm in Nepal becoming a goat.

I think we do have the players for a 4-3-3. We need to move the ball better out from the back. Get compact when defending.

Wouldn't be surprised if Nuno changed it mind.

Back