• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting XI?

I dont think that role works for Dele - he's a no 10, rather than a wide forward. Therefore if this role is along those lines where he's playing off the CF then I think it works for him, but if he's meant to be closer to the 2 CMs, I think its a problem.

I also think Gil's pace and dribbling is best used further forward that in the role which you have allocated him to
I don't think Dele is a No.10, Eriksen was our 10 when Dele was good. Yes Gil can play further forward, as can Son and Lo Celso, but it was more a formation that's got cover and options in all positions. To be honest, Dele was the only one in that formation that was a bit of an afterthought, to shoehorn him in - I'd rather play Son there and someone else on the right, if Bergwijn wasn't available.

I don't think Dele is a No.10, Eriksen was our 10 when Dele was good. Yes Gil can play further forward, as can Son and Lo Celso, but it was more a formation that's got cover and options in all positions. To be honest, Dele was the only one in that formation that was a bit of an afterthought, to shoehorn him in - I'd rather play Son there and someone else on the right, if Bergwijn wasn't available.

Understand re Dele. We're better off selling him and getting a round peg in round hole

I agree he should stick with the system he wants
But I wonder if he played the 4-3-3 because of who he had available when the season and pre season
He liked 3-4-3 previously at wolves (we played it once here in Europe already)
And also 4-2-3-1 at Valencia
I agree that was a possibility.

He had 12-14 players guaranteed to be here for the whole of pre season, so being pragmatic, cut his cloth accordingly.

CH's Dier Tanganga were here, Davies Rodon with Wales, Sanchez at the Copa with Romero who hadn't even joined yet. So based on that he went with the two that knew each other (Dier/Sanchez) and put Tanganga at RB. To put 3 together might of just been harder?

Any thought of changing has been scuppered by Dier injury, Sanchez/Romero quarantining, Tanganga suspension, Rodon injury...once things settle down (if they ever do!) he may try a 3, it certainly suits our FBs better, think it will suit Romero better as well.

Perhaps he can use the ECL games to give something a spin??

I agree he should stick with the system he wants
But I wonder if he played the 4-3-3 because of who he had available when the season and pre season
He liked 3-4-3 previously at wolves (we played it once here in Europe already)
And also 4-2-3-1 at Valencia
If it wasn't the plan at least to stick with the 4-3-3 because he thinks that will be the best over the short to medium term I think the season so far would have looked a bit different.

He's stuck with the 4-3-3 almost every minute we've played, injuries, players missing. Loads of players in and out of the team. Sticking with it makes sense of that's the plan going forward, the thinking being that over time there will be a benefit to playing that formation and system over time, players getting used to their roles.

If the plan is to switch to something different relatively soon it would make a lot less sense to stick with the 4-3-3.

If it wasn't the plan at least to stick with the 4-3-3 because he thinks that will be the best over the short to medium term I think the season so far would have looked a bit different.

He's stuck with the 4-3-3 almost every minute we've played, injuries, players missing. Loads of players in and out of the team. Sticking with it makes sense of that's the plan going forward, the thinking being that over time there will be a benefit to playing that formation and system over time, players getting used to their roles.

If the plan is to switch to something different relatively soon it would make a lot less sense to stick with the 4-3-3.
We played 3 at the back in the away europa qualifier
And Nuno and rightly highlighted that some players have had a fraction of the coaching time that others have had
Teams can evolve and systems can too even during a season once players are coached and up to speed

I would rather watch this young team giving there all and lose trying, than that brick yesterday:

Lloris
Royal...Tanganga...Romero...Reguilon
Skipp...Hojbjerg
Gil
Son...............Bergwijn
Scarlett​

Would love to see that team, 11 players that care & think they'd win more than they'd lose.

Might be too soon for Scarlett so maybe begin to integrate him as a sub, push up Son & Gil and bring in Lo Celso.

A bit harsh on Rodon but then he can rotate with Tanganga.

I would rather watch this young team giving there all and lose trying, than that brick yesterday:

Lloris
Royal...Tanganga...Romero...Reguilon
Skipp...Hojbjerg
Gil
Son...............Bergwijn
Scarlett​
Harsh on the defence. I think they have had a very difficult job to do with the midfield in front of them. I would find a role for Gil in the front 3.

Really wish we could tempt one of Moutinho / Neves away from Wolves.

Think we need to change the formation to get the best out of what we have. The flat 3 in midfield doesn’t work. It doesn’t make the best use of what we have.
A move to a 4-2-3-1 I think would be more beneficial. Both Ndombele and Dele play better as a 10 this will allow for a 10 to be deployed. The two holders can be a mix but probably best to start with Holjberg and Skipp. Can also change in Lo celso and potentially Dele/Ndombele for games when we are on the front foot. But playing an actual 10 will bring the best out of what we have IMO.

Think we need to change the formation to get the best out of what we have. The flat 3 in midfield doesn’t work. It doesn’t make the best use of what we have.
A move to a 4-2-3-1 I think would be more beneficial. Both Ndombele and Dele play better as a 10 this will allow for a 10 to be deployed. The two holders can be a mix but probably best to start with Holjberg and Skipp. Can also change in Lo celso and potentially Dele/Ndombele for games when we are on the front foot. But playing an actual 10 will bring the best out of what we have IMO.
The only 10 we have is Lo Celso abs we play him right wing ish
Tanguy has never played 10 his career and isn’t as creative as we like. Not say what can’t be but I believe he has as many assists as Hojdjberg
Dele is not a 10. Well not in the creative mould
But having an extra attacker playing in the 3-1 part in front of midfield is miles better than what we’re doing now

If Nuno wastes more minutes on Ndombele and Kane especially due to effort, and Dele as well due to not fitting this team, he will get the sack.

It's the system that we all know gets the best out of Kane, Alli and Son.

Ndombele is then given the Eriksen role; but also in a part of the field where he can use his abilities to lock pick, rather than slow down transitions. Hence the idea of swapping him and Lo Celso around. If it doesn't work, then next try Gil there.

If Nuno wastes more minutes on Ndombele and Kane especially due to effort, and Dele as well due to not fitting this team, he will get the sack.

I would still give Kane the benefit of the doubt ( maybe leave him out for a game or two to re-focus) but Tanguy and Dele need to go for sure.

It's the system that we all know gets the best out of Kane, Alli and Son.

Ndombele is then given the Eriksen role; but also in a part of the field where he can use his abilities to lock pick, rather than slow down transitions. Hence the idea of swapping him and Lo Celso around. If it doesn't work, then next try Gil there.
Why play Tanguy at 10
He has never played there his whole career

Back