• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Unbelievably this is the guy running Scotlands NHS.
The guy that on the day reports of a man died after waiting 40 hours (forty) hours for an ambulance told the great Scottish public to think twice about calling for an ambulance.
I heard yesterday that the average waiting time for an ambulance in Scotland is 6 hours!

I heard yesterday that the average waiting time for an ambulance in Scotland is 6 hours!

That’s rapid response in North Dorset. A colleague’s 88 year old father waited from 9.20pm - 7.30am for an ambulance last week. He was taken to hospital when they eventually arrived, and was admitted.

That’s rapid response in North Dorset. A colleague’s 88 year old father waited from 9.20pm - 7.30am for an ambulance last week. He was taken to hospital when they eventually arrived, and was admitted.
Doesn't beat our 40 hours
In all seriousness this isnt good and is not likely to get any better any time soon.

You'd have thought Clarkson was pro-Brexit but not so. He loves a jaunt to the continent.

Farmers eh. Along with Fisherman, what a bunch of idiots! Mostly pro-Brexit, and they have totally sold themselves down the river! If we were not lowering our food standards, it would all be quite funny.

You'd have thought Clarkson was pro-Brexit but not so. He loves a jaunt to the continent.

Farmers eh. Along with Fisherman, what a bunch of idiots! Mostly pro-Brexit, and they have totally sold themselves down the river! If we were not lowering our food standards, it would all be quite funny.
Nobody is lowering anyone's food standards. All the same food you had before will still be available at the same standards.

Those who don't wish to or are not able to pay what you or I do will now have cheaper options.

Mainly volume savings. It's heavily mass produced in the US.

Not something I'd go for but certainly not anything demonstrably less safe (I've posted the data in this thread a few months ago).

Cows in pens fed fattening grain and antibiotics - a cow factory. Worse for the environment, certainly worse for the cow, probably worse for the humans consuming them; and definitely worse for UK farmers who mostly rear cows that graze in fields. Free range beef is more expensive to produce but preferable in every other way.

Despite opening up to Australian beef reared in sheds, we’re not dropping standards?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Cows in pens fed fattening grain and antibiotics - a cow factory. Worse for the environment, certainly worse for the cow, probably worse for the humans consuming them; and definitely worse for UK farmers who mostly rear cows that graze in fields. Free range beef is more expensive to produce but preferable in every other way.

Despite opening up to Australian beef reared in sheds, we’re not dropping standards?

I disagree that it's worse for the environment. If 1m cows of beef are required, those 1m cows will have the same effect. It's arguably better to have them in a smaller space and keep more trees.

I'm not concerned about what's best for the cows, they're food. They obviously shouldn't be treated poorly for the sake of it, but I'd rather people were fed than cows were "happy."

Farmers are free to (and should) respond to what their customers want. Those of us who want higher quality beef can and will buy that. Some people don't want that - they just want cheap food and that should be available too. The govt shouldn't regulate to prop up unsustainable industries in the face of competition.

No, we're not dripping standards. You can still buy the same high quality beef you always have. Others have the opportunity to buy what suits them. That's how markets work.

Lowering standards would be banning the higher quality stuff - that's not happening here.

I disagree that it's worse for the environment. If 1m cows of beef are required, those 1m cows will have the same effect. It's arguably better to have them in a smaller space and keep more trees.

I'm not concerned about what's best for the cows, they're food. They obviously shouldn't be treated poorly for the sake of it, but I'd rather people were fed than cows were "happy."

Farmers are free to (and should) respond to what their customers want. Those of us who want higher quality beef can and will buy that. Some people don't want that - they just want cheap food and that should be available too. The govt shouldn't regulate to prop up unsustainable industries in the face of competition.

No, we're not dripping standards. You can still buy the same high quality beef you always have. Others have the opportunity to buy what suits them. That's how markets work.

Lowering standards would be banning the higher quality stuff - that's not happening here.

There is a fair bit of science that shows the carbon footprint is higher with grain fed beef. You have to grow and transport the grain etc not to mention truck-ship/plane-truck from Australia.

By this logic we shouldn’t have any food standards at all?

I’ve had first-hand experience witnessing DEFRA-approved (lol) Red Tractor approved (lol) and RSPCA approved (lol) farm practices, mainly the parts that aren’t visible to the public. Whilst @SpurMeUp is correct that the science shows footprint is higher with grain-fed/factory farmed animal flesh, no-one should be fooled into thinking the flesh they’re eating is safe or healthy. I guarantee if you saw the general practices of the majority of factory and ‘free range’ (lol) farms worldwide, even if you didn’t give a brick about the sentient beings who are being needlessly tortured and killed for ten minutes palate pleasure, you wouldn’t be feeding them to your kids.

I’ve had first-hand experience witnessing DEFRA-approved (lol) Red Tractor approved (lol) and RSPCA approved (lol) farm practices, mainly the parts that aren’t visible to the public. Whilst @SpurMeUp is correct that the science shows footprint is higher with grain-fed/factory farmed animal flesh, no-one should be fooled into thinking the flesh they’re eating is safe or healthy. I guarantee if you saw the general practices of the majority of factory and ‘free range’ (lol) farms worldwide, even if you didn’t give a brick about the sentient beings who are being needlessly tortured and killed for ten minutes palate pleasure, you wouldn’t be feeding them to your kids.

Completely agree. Even the best farming leaves a lot to be desired.

However, you can’t compare the US style beef farming to the UKs. From cows perspective it must so much better roaming the fields eating their natural food - grass - and they live longer. Compared to being trapped in a pen, fed corn - causing them liver absences so they have to be fed antibiotics - and slaughtered younger. That is no life.

Completely agree. Even the best farming leaves a lot to be desired.

However, you can’t compare the US style beef farming to the UKs. From cows perspective it must so much better roaming the fields eating their natural food - grass - and they live longer. Compared to being trapped in a pen, fed corn - causing them liver absences so they have to be fed antibiotics - and slaughtered younger. That is no life.

Agreed that the US superfarms are something else. Just highlighting that UK farms aren’t the pleasant pastures with happy animals roaming around that is portrayed here. And ultimately, they all end up in the same slaughterhouse against their will.

Am I right in thinking that (aside from rapidly rising inflation, looming gas shortages, struggles to agree trade deals, empty supermarket shelves, day long waits for ambulances, and an inability to fill key positions in the labour market) it’s all going rather well?

Yeah I would.

Nobody has contributed to the list of positives to come out of Brexit yet. Okay I'll make it easy and start you all off...

1. Blue passports

i know but you’re a double hard bastard that everyone is really impressed with
I think most people would be of a similar position to mine.

I doubt many would want to see it, but seeing it wouldn't stop most people wanting to eat it.

Cows exist to be eaten.

There is a fair bit of science that shows the carbon footprint is higher with grain fed beef. You have to grow and transport the grain etc not to mention truck-ship/plane-truck from Australia.

By this logic we shouldn’t have any food standards at all?

That would suprise me in the UK where you'd likely have to cut down half a forest for a large beef farm and the distances are far smaller. At least I'd expect the equation to be far closer.

Either way, it's the consumer's choice. Those who can afford to be choosy still will, those who cannot will be able to get meat cheaper.

I'd prefer it if all clothes were made by tailors on Savile Row, but I accept that it's better to have to see chavs in sportswear than waddling about naked.

Back