• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tennis thread

A legend mate, one of the two names Adidas used to introduce the tennis trainer to the world (Stan Smith being the other)...I always preferred Rod Laver on and off the court...

I religiously wore Stan Smiths for many years. They went with everything.

Such a comfortable, simply styled shoe that gave me great comfort and stability in my duties as a photographer.

So's her Canadian counterpart, the just-turned-19 Annie Leyla Fernandez.

2021-09-04T021642Z_445950916_MT1USATODAY16679734_RTRMADP_3_TENNIS-US-OPEN-1630728095444.jpg

Been knocking off top-ranked rivals all week.

Could we have an all-teen final at Flushing Meadows?

I recall two years ago meeting up with the dean of Canadian tennis journalism, Tom Tebbutt, during a quiet moment in the qualifying rounds for the Canadian event on the WTA tour, the Rogers Cup, here in Toronto.

He had some notes out and the daily printout of the Order of Play and as I passed by from covering some hapless Yank chick getting dusted by a Chinese player, I glanced down to look at his schedule sheet. We struck up a conversation and he told me to go cover Fernandez.

He said that she was very young and a relative unknown, but he had spotted something in her game that suggested she was destined for bigger and better things.

Off I went and she put up a spirited fight in a losing effort to a much more experienced rival. All I cared about was making good pictures and she provided them.

But there was my first introduction to her and she has steadily grown into a strong contender. I don't know much about Raducanu's background, but fascinating to see children of immigrant parents rising up against the odds, against the established order, and now excelling on the world's biggest stages.

Last edited:
So's her Canadian counterpart, the just-turned-19 Annie Leyla Fernandez.

2021-09-04T021642Z_445950916_MT1USATODAY16679734_RTRMADP_3_TENNIS-US-OPEN-1630728095444.jpg

Been knocking off top-ranked rivals all week.

Could we have an all-teen final at Flushing Meadows?

I recall two years ago meeting up with the dean of Canadian tennis journalism, Tom Tebbutt, during a quiet moment in the qualifying rounds for the Canadian event on the WTA tour, the Rogers Cup, here in Toronto.

He had some notes out and the daily printout of the Order of Play and as I passed by from covering some hapless Yank chick getting dusted by a Chinese player, I glanced down to look at his schedule sheet. We struck up a conversation and he told me to go cover Fernandez.

He said that she was very young and a relative unknown, but he had spotted something in her game that suggested she was destined for bigger and better things.

Off I went and she put up a spirited fight in a losing effort to a much more experienced rival. All I cared about was making good pictures and she provided them.

But there was my first introduction to her and she has steadily grown into a strong contender. I don't know much about Raducanu's background, but fascinating to see children of immigrant parents rising up against the odds, against the established order, and now excelling on the world's biggest stages.
Raducanu has a Romanian dad and Chinese mother and was born in Canada. Both of her parents work in the finance sector. Her family moved to England when she was two years old.

So not really against the odds for Emma at least.

I saw Raducanu at Wimbledon,what striked me on watching her was the number of shots she was pinging over the net,normally after about half a dozen shots it goes in to the net but her accuracy rate was phenominal,she was striking a ball so hard and deep with ease,so decided to put a couple of quid on her then, to get to the final.
With US Open thought she'll get to the first/second round and that be it,the plucky Brit and all that... but all the reports said the same,that she was playing the same as in Wimbledon,so put another e/w bet on her but missed all the big odds by a day or so,so got her at 33's ,if she does it have a nice pay out.
The way shes going she be favourite for Australian open,crazy....but deserves it.

Academic entry exams….
As they should be, but that's not quite the same as going to a comp on a sink estate.[/QUOTE]

(Yeah apologies for the quote thing)

Well you guys carry on discrediting her then.

I wish there less miserabilists and more families like hers around.

Back