• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Correct - they are paying the same proportion.
What's your point?
That this isn't a tax that anyone can afford at nearly any level of earnings. It's equally abhorrent across the board.

Especially from a party that claims to have some level of economic sense.

Last edited:
That this isn't a tax that anyone can afford at nearly any level of earnings. It's equally abhorrent across the board.

Especially from a party that claims to have some level of economic sense.

How do you suggest they get the money for social care then?

You of all people should know money does not grow on trees. The needs money for social care.

I personally agree with your views on the NHS and feel our health care should go down the German and Canadian type.

But for public services they need money and for that we rightly all have to pay a little more.

Some people over the last couple of days have sounded so self interested. This is going back to thatcher and the being no society nonsense.

I want and think most people want to live in a civilised society.

How do you suggest they get the money for social care then?

You of all people should know money does not grow on trees. The needs money for social care.

I personally agree with your views on the NHS and feel our health care should go down the German and Canadian type.

But for public services they need money and for that we rightly all have to pay a little more.

Some people over the last couple of days have sounded so self interested. This is going back to thatcher and the being no society nonsense.

I want and think most people want to live in a civilised society.
If this country could get even halfway back to where it was with Thatcher it would be a miracle.

The answer for the government, as with all of us, is that if they want money to spend somewhere - spend less elsewhere.

The best solution is the one that I highlighted further up the page. Set a significantly lower corporation tax rate than our competitors (Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands) and get all of the tax that is paid there instead. Often moving a head office for tax purposes comes with a stack of highly paid people (who all contribute to the income tax take) and that company pays for legal services, accountancy, etc here increasing the tax take for all those other services. There's over £200B of shifted tax revenue going to those three countries, the UK collects less than £65B at our current rates. None of that takes into account the fact that many business who don't profit shift would choose the UK over alternatives with such a low rate of taxation too.

Regarding your last point, there's nothing civilised about the govt taking as much money from me as they do, and I'm not even a particularly high earner.

If this country could get even halfway back to where it was with Thatcher it would be a miracle.

The answer for the government, as with all of us, is that if they want money to spend somewhere - spend less elsewhere.

The best solution is the one that I highlighted further up the page. Set a significantly lower corporation tax rate than our competitors (Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands) and get all of the tax that is paid there instead. Often moving a head office for tax purposes comes with a stack of highly paid people (who all contribute to the income tax take) and that company pays for legal services, accountancy, etc here increasing the tax take for all those other services. There's over £200B of shifted tax revenue going to those three countries, the UK collects less than £65B at our current rates. None of that takes into account the fact that many business who don't profit shift would choose the UK over alternatives with such a low rate of taxation too.

Regarding your last point, there's nothing civilised about the govt taking as much money from me as they do, and I'm not even a particularly high earner.

That is one of the key reasons brexit was an issue - companies moving to get into the free market losing money for the exchequer (which is paid for by taxation). At the moment we have a labour shortage, getting more businesses into the UK would only exacerbate the problem.

That is one of the key reasons brexit was an issue - companies moving to get into the free market losing money for the exchequer (which is paid for by taxation). At the moment we have a labour shortage, getting more businesses into the UK would only exacerbate the problem.
You don't need much of a tax break to balance out any perceived losses in UK/EU trade. Companies trading in the UK that had their head offices in Luxembourg for tax reasons are still doing so freely.

Other than lorry drivers and COVID isolation I've not had any labour issues - it's been as easy as it ever has to hire people. The market for lorry drivers broke because as they came into more demand, the training centres that are part of the increased supply to balance that demand had to shut.

Or just tax revenue instead of profit. (With agreed deductables for things like R&D)

Or just tax revenue instead of profit. (With agreed deductables for things like R&D)
That's a terrible idea and always has been.

Some businesses are able to work on huge profit margins, others have to work on far smaller ones. Attempting to take the same revenue from profits would bankrupt thousands of otherwise profitable businesses.

The govt should never be in a position where it can take more than a business has - it's clear how easily that could happen when taxing revenue.

That's a terrible idea and always has been.

Some businesses are able to work on huge profit margins, others have to work on far smaller ones. Attempting to take the same revenue from profits would bankrupt thousands of otherwise profitable businesses.

The govt should never be in a position where it can take more than a business has - it's clear how easily that could happen when taxing revenue.

Can't argue with that. I didn't think that through.

Is 1.25 that much? Can't the low paid just lay off the ciggies and domino's for a bit. Safe in the knowledge they are doing society a service which they will get back when they are older.

I do not mind paying extra taxes if it means good public services.

Can't we just use the £350m a week we saved from Brexit? I mean, they did say that would go to the NHS?

Back