• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

A newspaper.

I think the detailed content is more important then the source. Unless you are questioning the information.

I am questioning the information on the basis i am literally an expert on this subject :D that information is horse brick.

Put simply, when a Bank transacts it is between two entities. Activity that was previously part of UK legal entities is now part of EU legal entities, and that means a loss of tax revenue to the UK from said entities. Balance sheets reduced as the UK activtity has moved and being booked out of Euro hubs.

So yeh, the article is utter brick. I know for a fact because i work in that field in that sector and spend each and every working day on this subject.

Reactions: DTA
Torygraph so yes, biased in the extreme. You can get a more balanced picture from genuine news agencies like Reuters. The FT is somewhat biased too (anti-brexit) but largely impartial. The Telegraph is more or less propaganda. The PM is an ex columnist etc

Is the Editor of the FT over in Paris this week? Seems to spend most of his time there now.:D

I am questioning the information on the basis i am literally an expert on this subject :D that information is horse brick.

Put simply, when a Bank transacts it is between two entities. Activity that was previously part of UK legal entities is now part of EU legal entities, and that means a loss of tax revenue to the UK from said entities. Balance sheets reduced as the UK activtity has moved and being booked out of Euro hubs.

So yeh, the article is utter brick. I know for a fact because i work in that field in that sector and spend each and every working day on this subject.

You should really tell them. They deserve to know they have made a mistake.:rolleyes:

I think a lot of the data is skewed. For example, an item exported to the EU which has been made in Japan is no longer counted as a UK export etc etc

Bias is rife however. The Guardian almost only publishes anti-Brexit stories. The Torygraph only pro-brexit ones. Everyone can find data to appease their readership. Reuters is one of the few who report 'news' in the traditional sense. Unbiased, unopinionated accounts. But...as German philopshers told us, there is no such thing as no bias. Even Reuters can be by way of which stories or data the journalist selects etc

I think a lot of the data is skewed. For example, an item exported to the EU which has been made in Japan is no longer counted as a UK export etc etc

Bias is rife however. The Guardian almost only publishes anti-Brexit stories. The Torygraph only pro-brexit ones. Everyone can find data to appease their readership. Reuters is one of the few who report 'news' in the traditional sense. Unbiased, unopinionated accounts. But...as German philopshers told us, there is no such thing as no bias. Even Reuters can be by way of which stories or data the journalist selects etc

I don't disagree, i've stopped reading Guardian now, i think @scaramanga picked up on it and then i noticed, it's just always so negative. After that i couldn't help but keep seeing the same.

Regarding the article though, that's why the media has such a huge influence in the UK and it's really not as 'free and democratic' as we pretend it is.

I don't disagree, i've stopped reading Guardian now, i think @scaramanga picked up on it and then i noticed, it's just always so negative. After that i couldn't help but keep seeing the same.

Regarding the article though, that's why the media has such a huge influence in the UK and it's really not as 'free and democratic' as we pretend it is.

Completely agree. But you may never find a pure objective source. Heidegger said all accounts have some bias. The only way to control for bias is to understand the authors bias. So in some ways with the Guardian or Telegraph at least you know where you stand! Others can be more subtly biased. Reuters though try to keep things super-objective and minimal.

Last edited:

We could have a referendum to ban the media. So long as whoever loses gets to bitch about it for a few years.

It is a polarised debate in both camps, FBPE macarons and Leave zealots. This is further polarised by the braodsheets on either side of the debate. I find people like Anand Menon to be very good on the issue and objective too.

Given that we are presently presided over by the worst government of my lifetime (made up almost entirely of largely absent self-serving and corrupt multi-millionaires), and given that most of the British media entirely ignore the government’s huge shortcomings, I’m personally very glad that The Guardian exists.

Given that we are presently presided over by the worst government of my lifetime (made up almost entirely of largely absent self-serving and corrupt multi-millionaires), and given that most of the British media entirely ignore the government’s huge shortcomings, I’m personally very glad that The Guardian exists.
It could be argued (correctly IMO) that the Guardian gives the most accurate reflection of the timeline we live in. There's not a lot of good news around these days. The Guardian is a superb publication.

Ha, ha so much for the great economic managers. Watch the inflation numbers start to rise. Get your savings out of the bank Scara and stick it under the bed..

Is 1.25 that much? Can't the low paid just lay off the ciggies and domino's for a bit. Safe in the knowledge they are doing society a service which they will get back when they are older.

I do not mind paying extra taxes if it means good public services.
For many people on low incomes, yes it is.
It's why we have sliding tax scales and should focus on tax take from those with more - because you can't eat money.

Back