• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Eric Dier

Imo Sitting deep is not the issue.
The rest are and the reason why we can't sit deep.
Against city we sat back quite deep but fought for every inch of turf in our half.
Don't forget we were pretty good first half of the season too.
Multiple issues really

- We sat too deep, you cannot invite that sort of pressure on game in, game out without consequence
- We have no leadership in backline, Dier & Sanchez (like players around VVD in Pool example) can do a job with someone else who is dominant and experienced
- None of our CBs are particularly good in the air (see Scum's game this week-end to see what happened in the PL when you suck in the air at CB)
- Confidence in the players/squad was shot.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Imo Sitting deep is not the issue.
The rest are and the reason why we can't sit deep.
Against city we sat back quite deep but fought for every inch of turf in our half.
Don't forget we were pretty good first half of the season too.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Sitting the entire team too deep is an issue.

If you think of the Sunday game, Son, Bergwijn, Lucas stayed a lot higher up than they would have under Jose

Sitting the entire team too deep is an issue.

If you think of the Sunday game, Son, Bergwijn, Lucas stayed a lot higher up than they would have under Jose
I don’t think they did
What was different was they were more compact centrally
Under Jose one of each would have been wide
By its horses for courses.
What was key was every player did their job to a man

I don’t think they did
What was different was they were more compact centrally
Under Jose one of each would have been wide
By its horses for courses.
What was key was every player did their job to a man

Opinions mate, but under Jose -> Bergwijn basically played in a LB position against better teams (you would see the back line being 5 or 6 wide), in addition Sunday we were prepared to put multiple players forward on the break (comitt to it)

I'd agree each player delivered, amazing well.

Opinions mate, but under Jose -> Bergwijn basically played in a LB position against better teams (you would see the back line being 5 or 6 wide), in addition Sunday we were prepared to put multiple players forward on the break (comitt to it)

I'd agree each player delivered, amazing well.
I do agree he would play as an extra full back
But I don’t think we played any higher up as an attack
We probably did as a team
We were certainly more compact centrally which is where we got done a lot under Jose

I do agree he would play as an extra full back
But I don’t think we played any higher up as an attack
We probably did as a team
We were certainly more compact centrally which is where we got done a lot under Jose
I felt that we were less willing to press the opposition under Mou. We often fell back into our half as soon as we lost the ball. On Sunday we hunted in packs of 3 and tried to stop them higher up the pitch if possible. It was only when they had beaten the press did we retreat, but usually the next line tried to engage.

Overall not that different to what Mou did but the implementation was quite different and gave a different energy tot he match. We didn't have the mental fatigue that playing the Mou way caused. On Sunday we were the better side and had the better chances rather than getting away with one as we did last year.

I felt that we were less willing to press the opposition under Mou. We often fell back into our half as soon as we lost the ball. On Sunday we hunted in packs of 3 and tried to stop them higher up the pitch if possible. It was only when they had beaten the press did we retreat, but usually the next line tried to engage.

Overall not that different to what Mou did but the implementation was quite different and gave a different energy tot he match. We didn't have the mental fatigue that playing the Mou way caused. On Sunday we were the better side and had the better chances rather than getting away with one as we did last year.
I don’t think we pressed them at all on Sunday
What we did IMO was block passing channels forcing them to go where we wanted them too
That was smart

I don’t think we pressed them at all on Sunday
What we did IMO was block passing channels forcing them to go where we wanted them too
That was smart
It wasn't Poch full court press by any means but we deffo pressed against their defenders when they had the ball. It was never easy for them and I agree we made a big effort to block the passing lanes but I'd argue that was in conjunction with the press rather than instead of imo.

We never let City have an easy out ball, their players knew at all times there would be someone within reasonable range to challenge them. That helped lower the quality of their passing and never letting them build up a full head of steam.

It wasn't Poch full court press by any means but we deffo pressed against their defenders when they had the ball. It was never easy for them and I agree we made a big effort to block the passing lanes but I'd argue that was in conjunction with the press rather than instead of imo.

We never let City have an easy out ball, their players knew at all times there would be someone within reasonable range to challenge them. That helped lower the quality of their passing and never letting them build up a full head of steam.
Again I don’t agree
We let their CBS have the ball and did enough so they could only go wide (not through their midfield)
It meant that their CMs dropped back to receive the ball in relatively poor places
Or they went or their FBs who what to normally cut centrally (which was clogged)
There is some great online analysis on this which I think nails it
City had to bypass the centre fo the park
Even when KDB came on he stayed very wide
City are predictable, but have very talented players to play that way. I genuinely couldn’t remember who was in the front 3 for them only yesterday. It was Magrez I couldn’t remember. He normally has a field day against us

Big ups for the big man. I had to bump this thread from page 3.
I had to do with the Sanchez thread on page 3. Seems people enjoy going on threads to criticise these two when they are poor, rather than praising them. When they did well against City, it was apparently an easier type of game for them as City don’t have proper forwards. Now it’s ‘only Watford’ etc. Plenty of credit to both these CBs and must be partly to the coaching and perhaps a better drilled unit in general meaning our CBs aren’t so unfairly exposed constantly…..

Could there be long-term hope for him once more? With Romero's issues, it'd be good to truly believe so.

If fudging Nuno turns these two around into consistent top 6 level defenders, fudging hell ..

Dier last season had the odd good game (cup final come to mind, he and Toby both played well), but never consistently in recent seasons.

Back