• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

We don't actually know how 'shoddy' Kane's behaviour was though.

I think the fact that the club didn't fine Kane for coming back late from his holiday probably indicates that he wasn't actually late back from his holiday. I think the club expected City to stump up the money this summer (hence the initial work that we had done on several expensive transfer targets) and it suited the club for Kane to be painted in a bad light so that our supporters would be less angry when we sold him (and I think the tactic probably worked if we look at the reaction on here).

I don't doubt that Kane wanted to leave Spurs, I'm just not convinced that he refused to return to training on time this summer.

We know he did an interview with Gary Neville during the season in which he set his own price tag at £100m.

We know his camp also leaked a story saying he wanted to leave this summer and he wanted his future sorted before the euros. Again, this was leaked during the season when in theory we could have still qualified for the EL and not ended up in the third rate Europa Conference.

We know he wasn’t present at training from Monday -Thursday and then offered no explanation until the Friday with the most ambiguous statement ever that didn’t actually clarify anything but didn’t admit any fault or point blame at the club. It was a deliberately ambiguous statement.

So Harry wants 400k a week AND a release clause in a new contract - good luck with that! Must be the work of the mastermind that is Charley Kane. He's got three years left on his bloody contract. 250 mill release clause, 3 year extension and no pay rise - take it or leave it.

So Harry wants 400k a week AND a release clause in a new contract - good luck with that! Must be the work of the mastermind that is Charley Kane. He's got three years left on his bloody contract. 250 mill release clause, 3 year extension and no pay rise - take it or leave it.

And he should have been heavily fined for missing training and not being available for out first PL game

Done with him

‘One of our own’ my arse!

Nothing official coming out of the club (and when the club issues the maximum allowable fine contractually they tend to put out a statement). I don't think Kane was fined.

I don't know mate, just saying at least one media outlet is reporting he was in fact fined for turning up late to training.

From a PR perspective, the club has said nothing in line with how they have managed this all window, I suspect we will never truly know.

I don't know mate, just saying at least one media outlet is reporting he was in fact fined for turning up late to training.

From a PR perspective, the club has said nothing in line with how they have managed this all window, I suspect we will never truly know.
More than 1 reported it

I think there is no doubt that Kane's team handled it badly, although clearly Kane had being encouraged and there were cheerleaders for the move in the media. Gary the Weasel is now criticising Kane for his behaviour after cheering him on.

It's hard to assess what City wanted. I've read the posts above about it being a predatory bid, them tapping him up, and them expecting Levy to compromised because of the post-covid financial position. I find myself nodding to all these theories, as all seem to contain a grain of truth. But City's behaviour is still a bit hard to explain. It was clear Kane wanted to join them and it was clear Pep wanted him. They made a reasonable first bid, as if they were serious, and it was plausible that with an increase a deal could still be negotiated (say in the 120-130m range). Yet they threw away their negotiating position by announcing the Grealish deal, £100m. They could no longer expect Levy to compromise for anything that didn't put a significant premium on Kane. Even the cheerleaders in the media recognised this and started turning on Kane. Perhaps City still hoped Kane would help force a late move for less than the 15o-160m Levy might have accepted. It's hard to conclude that City haven't messed up, too. They paid £100 million for a position they had covered and refused to pay more for the one position where they are short.

I think there is no doubt that Kane's team handled it badly, although clearly Kane had being encouraged and there were cheerleaders for the move in the media. Gary the Weasel is now criticising Kane for his behaviour after cheering him on.

It's hard to assess what City wanted. I've read the posts above about it being a predatory bid, them tapping him up, and them expecting Levy to compromised because of the post-covid financial position. I find myself nodding to all these theories, as all seem to contain a grain of truth. But City's behaviour is still a bit hard to explain. It was clear Kane wanted to join them and it was clear Pep wanted him. They made a reasonable first bid, as if they were serious, and it was plausible that with an increase a deal could still be negotiated (say in the 120-130m range). Yet they threw away their negotiating position by announcing the Grealish deal, £100m. They could no longer expect Levy to compromise for anything that didn't put a significant premium on Kane. Even the cheerleaders in the media recognised this and started turning on Kane. Perhaps City still hoped Kane would help force a late move for less than the 15o-160m Levy might have accepted. It's hard to conclude that City haven't messed up, too. They paid £100 million for a position they had covered and refused to pay more for the one position where they are short.

City is the same as any succesful business or person, people assume because they are succesful, it's all brilliant, smart, planned vs. if you gave a fudging monkey £1.5B and a dart board to pick players you might end up with the same results.

City has walked away from VVD for about £10M-£15M in difference, they have now walked away from Kane (you could probably say it ended up being Kane or Grealish), there are a couple more. Can you imagine Dias next to VVD with Kane up front in that team?

We know he did an interview with Gary Neville during the season in which he set his own price tag at £100m.

We know his camp also leaked a story saying he wanted to leave this summer and he wanted his future sorted before the euros. Again, this was leaked during the season when in theory we could have still qualified for the EL and not ended up in the third rate Europa Conference.

We know he wasn’t present at training from Monday -Thursday and then offered no explanation until the Friday with the most ambiguous statement ever that didn’t actually clarify anything but didn’t admit any fault or point blame at the club. It was a deliberately ambiguous statement.
He actually didn't set his own price tag.... He said (something like). "Who knows.... The chairman might decide he wants to sell me for £100m this summer?". And Neville replied with something like "knowing Daniel Levy the price will start with a 2".

He actually didn't set his own price tag.... He said (something like). "Who knows? The chairman might decide he wants to sell me for £100m this summer". And Neville replied with something like "knowing Daniel Levy the price will start with a 2".

I'd buy that if the exact same number wasn't repeated publicly by Pep a few weeks later (his speech about any club should be happy with £100M), they tried to put a marker in the ground (standard negotiating practice), the problem was it was so far from reality that it just tinkled off the seller (also a normal challenge when low balling)

We don't actually know how 'shoddy' Kane's behaviour was though.

I think the fact that the club didn't fine Kane for coming back late from his holiday probably indicates that he wasn't actually late back from his holiday. I think the club expected City to stump up the money this summer (hence the initial work that we had done on several expensive transfer targets) and it suited the club for Kane to be painted in a bad light so that our supporters would be less angry when we sold him (and I think the tactic probably worked if we look at the reaction on here).

I don't doubt that Kane wanted to leave Spurs, I'm just not convinced that he refused to return to training on time this summer.

The Athletic are reporting that he was fined two weeks wages.

Kane clearly wanted to leave Spurs but what was clear all along was that he had little leverage and City wouldn't match our asking price.

I'd buy that if the exact same number wasn't repeated publicly by Pep a few weeks later (his speech about any club should be happy with £100M), they tried to put a marker in the ground (standard negotiating practice), the problem was it was so far from reality that it just tinkled off the seller (also a normal challenge when low balling)

I think that you are right. City badly let Kane down. It was clear that they had been in communication, they made Kane do all of the running and then didn't follow it up with a serious bid. The only offer they made was £75m plus players which is ridiculous.

The Athletic are reporting that he was fined two weeks wages.

Kane clearly wanted to leave Spurs but what was clear all along was that he had little leverage and City wouldn't match our asking price.
I think The Athletic have assumed he was fined 2 weeks wages. I don't think he was fined as we would've seen an announcement from the club instead of the absolute nothing that went out from them. I think Harry was given extra time off because the club expected Emirates Marketing Project to bid a decent amount for him and for the player to be owned by Emirates Marketing Project now).

I think The Athletic have assumed he was fined 2 weeks wages. I don't think he was fined as we would've seen an announcement from the club instead of the absolute nothing that went out from them. I think Harry was given extra time off because the club expected Emirates Marketing Project to bid a decent amount for him and for the player to be owned by Emirates Marketing Project now).

Why would the club say anything (they never have at any moment in this transfer which has played out brilliantly from a PR perspective)?

The club is going to act like nothing ever happened (externally), that Kane was always with us, blah, blah.

Again (to be clear), I certainly don't know, but I don't see a scenario where they would have publicized his fine making sense.

p.s. Same article basically said the Club hasn't talked to City since June, so not likely they were expecting to sell.

I don't recall the club ever announcing a player being fined and I would think that they would want to keep this behind closed doors like they have with most of this episode. If Kane was given extra time off there would have been an announcement from the club and his camp on the Monday he was due back. There was silence until the Friday and then a half arsed excuse from Kane.

I don't think that there was ever any prospect of City making a bid that matched our valuation of Kane. Quite simply, he is worth a lot more to us than them. If they were going to make a serious offer then they would have prioritised him over Grealish. I think that City have made a big mistake.

I think that you are right. City badly let Kane down. It was clear that they had been in communication, they made Kane do all of the running and then didn't follow it up with a serious bid. The only offer they made was £75m plus players which is ridiculous.
Indeed.
Levy sorting ourselves out financially really helped as well.
Being in a position of not having to sell in any negotiationis massive.

Back