• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

I did. I was selling and buying a house at the time in order to get my eldest into the right catchment. We only had 6 months in which to sell and buy, so I didn't want anything like that delaying the market.

We exchanged on the deadline day for applications in the end.

Always wanted to leave though, just voted for short term interests.
Ah. I thought it was a business-related reason. I misremembered.

I wanted to leave to escape pointless regulation and the inevitable car crash that homogenised economic policy will bring.

The obvious solution to increasing drivers' wages is increased supply.

Pointless regulation you say…like needing to issue visas especially for truck drivers, fruit pickers, hospitality workers etc.that used to be worked out by a free market,

Or the massive increase in pointless import and export regulations that impact free trade. Suffice to say your desire to reduce regulatory nonsense has backfired. 50,000 new customs pen pushers and more work for importers/exporters [emoji106]

Re. Your second point wasn’t the EU going to have collapsed by now? Yet it’s made it through Covid and all the predictions made by you and others of it’s implosion are so far looking like another Brexit myth. As was your prediction that phone companies would honour EU law on roaming charges. Was there anything you got right? [emoji23]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Pointless regulation you say…like needing to issue visas especially for truck drivers, fruit pickers, hospitality workers etc.that used to be worked out by a free market,

Or the massive increase in pointless import and export regulations that impact free trade. Suffice to say your desire to reduce regulatory nonsense has backfired. 50,000 new customs pen pushers and more work for importers/exporters [emoji106]

Re. Your second point wasn’t the EU going to have collapsed by now? Yet it’s made it through Covid and all the predictions made by you and others of it’s implosion are so far looking like another Brexit myth. As was your prediction that phone companies would honour EU law on roaming charges. Was there anything you got right? [emoji23]

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I don't particularly like visa systems - labour should be free to move across borders like all other commodities.

Eventually the single economic system won't work. It doesn't even really work for the north and south of this country - something that will be the undoing of this Conservative govt if they continue to fail to understand.

McDonalds runs out of milkshakes.

Last week, Nando's was forced to close about 50 of its restaurants after running out of chicken.

Rival KFC also warned recently that supply chain issues meant it was unable to stock some menu items.

At the same time, dairy giant Arla has had to cut back on milk deliveries to supermarkets because of a shortage of drivers.

I get many are over the moon with Brexit but wouldn't it be nice to admit it's a bit brick for lots of things too?

Last week, Nando's was forced to close about 50 of its restaurants after running out of chicken.

Rival KFC also warned recently that supply chain issues meant it was unable to stock some menu items.

At the same time, dairy giant Arla has had to cut back on milk deliveries to supermarkets because of a shortage of drivers.

I get many are over the moon with Brexit but wouldn't it be nice to admit it's a bit brick for lots of things too?

Not enough nandos, kfc, or McDonald's is a bad thing?
Not in my world, looking around it would appear to me that quite a lot of folk could do with less of these, not more.

Not enough nandos, kfc, or McDonald's is a bad thing?
Not in my world, looking around it would appear to me that quite a lot of folk could do with less of these, not more.

ah there we go, standard response. Yeh, we'll gloss over the troubling scenes in NI since Brexit. Let's ignore the reintroduction of data charges for using phones abroad. Ongoing shortages of supplies in our supermarkets.

See, that's kind of my point. I get people are Brexit fanboys, but the act as if everything is going swimmingly is a bit unicorn dreamland.

giphy.gif

ah there we go, standard response. Yeh, we'll gloss over the troubling scenes in NI since Brexit. Let's ignore the reintroduction of data charges for using phones abroad. Ongoing shortages of supplies in our supermarkets.

See, that's kind of my point. I get people are Brexit fanboys, but the act as if everything is going swimmingly is a bit unicorn dreamland.

giphy.gif

Like your glossing over a world wide pandemic, an obesity problem, diabetes running riot, teeth rotting away, but hey i got my dig in about brexit so the world is good.
If peoples priorities are when they can get their next junk food hit from then the world is more fudged up than i believe. voted remain, i still believe that was the correct decision and leaving was a mistake btw, but nevermind you've put me in a nice little pigeon hole to try and force a point.

The pandemic is certainly a factor, some drivers have gone home to the EU because of it, but it has a much lesser effect than the removal of FOM. There is a 100k HGV driver shortage in the UK and no amount of rushed training, using army drivers (of which there are 2k HGV divers), etc will fix that shortfall in the short term. I'm not sure of the solution here beyond broad exemptions being made and rates going up. And I'm not even sure that would solve the issue as I can't see the majority of those missing 100k HGV drivers in a rush to return to the UK for various reasons.

Though it is not all bad news. The first sensible thing that the Tories have done lately is to punt the new UK Conformity Assessment (UKCA) registration and marking system down the road for a bit. That will still be a debacle when it happens. It is a double (triple for NI) regulatory burden being introduced with no real upside.

Last edited:
Like your glossing over a world wide pandemic, an obesity problem, diabetes running riot, teeth rotting away, but hey i got my dig in about brexit so the world is good.
If peoples priorities are when they can get their next junk food hit from then the world is more fudged up than i believe. voted remain, i still believe that was the correct decision and leaving was a mistake btw, but nevermind you've put me in a nice little pigeon hole to try and force a point.

Er, don't think i've pigeon holed you at all, i said people are ignoring any negatives. Not even sure what the ramble of 'fast food' is, bit of a strawman to take away the points i have raised. There's been little to no criticism of Brexit promises consistently being broken. Not saying we should return or anything, just pointing out some of the glory we're living in is just being wilfully ignored.

To @LutonSpurs point i believe the shortages are exacerbated in UK compared to other countries also dealing with post-Brexit and pandemic. At least based on friends and colleagues in those locations i know in Germany and France.

It is probably balanced to say that without the pandemic these shortages would not be a reality and without Brexit these shortages would not be a reality. The combination is probably the thing we need to consider. But politics and echo chambers can make us lose objectivity.
It's a bit like the Tottenham rebuild....much to iron out, there will be issues, hurdles, things that go wrong and things that go right. Brexit and the pandemic are both big journeys, rather inconveniently running concurrently, they'll be a time when we feel we've reached a destination, a more settled time...and judgements can be made (then).

I agree Brexit is the main cause however my point is driven around how the very toxic FBPE crowd will make it only about Brexit when it is more complex than that. We are an island. There has been a pandemic. Which will have contributed to the issue. Probably not as much as Brexit but I haven't seen any quantitative analysis which explains it deeply enough to make an absolute assertion on the cause.

Er, don't think i've pigeon holed you at all, i said people are ignoring any negatives. Not even sure what the ramble of 'fast food' is, bit of a strawman to take away the points i have raised. There's been little to no criticism of Brexit promises consistently being broken. Not saying we should return or anything, just pointing out some of the glory we're living in is just being wilfully ignored.

To @LutonSpurs point i believe the shortages are exacerbated in UK compared to other countries also dealing with post-Brexit and pandemic. At least based on friends and colleagues in those locations i know in Germany and France.
My experience of central and eastern Europe is that they are having precisely the same problems.

At last some good Brexit news!! :)

I mean to be fair it is shyte mass-produced cooperate food. Ironically probably those eating it were more likely to be brexit voters?

One thing that is frustrating right now, is that companies in the EU can export to the UK without some of the hassle and tariffs, as we extended the period until the regs come in? But the reverse is not the case, putting our companies at a competitive disadvantage. Some of the regulation and red tape we suffer is not applied to companies selling into the UK from the EU. Which is obviously completely unfair and undermines free trade - in their favour!

@ricky2tricky4city I take your point that things will shakedown and we'll be able to appraise, but it is clear that there is a lot of hassles with Brexit, and few if any upsides thus far? Moreover, no one can identify any clear future upsides. It is possible the UK will gain some regulatory headstart on the rest of the world in pharmacy, renewables, driverless tech, but lets be honest, it is unlikely as most of these things require some global momentum and cooperation. Maybe if no one can identify clear advantages, it is actually because they are none.

@ricky2tricky4city I take your point that things will shakedown and we'll be able to appraise, but it is clear that there is a lot of hassles with Brexit, and few if any upsides thus far? Moreover, no one can identify any clear future upsides. It is possible the UK will gain some regulatory headstart on the rest of the world in pharmacy, renewables, driverless tech, but lets be honest, it is unlikely as most of these things require some global momentum and cooperation. Maybe if no one can identify clear advantages, it is actually because they are none.
I largely agree mate... especially when factoring in who's running the show.

Vision and foresight is what's required, to identify the steps needed and spot opportunity and built towards that, even if it takes a while.

But as I say......

Back