• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Danny Ings - Burnley's Number 10

Multiple reasons:

Age - too old.
Opportunity to blood Spurs youth. I would rather give Scarlett or Parrott a chance than buy Ings.
55 goals in 140 matches. Only one season with more than 15 goals in the league.
Failure to cut it at Liverpool. Less pressure IMHO at Southampton.
Although not injury prone at Southampton, I still have an eye on his injury record at Liverpool.
Parrot is not yet good enough to be a top striker in the Champship.
Scarlett is not yet good enough to be a top striker at football league level.
Scarlett is probably realistically at least 2 years away. Parrot probably also 2 years away (if he makes it at our level at all).

Multiple reasons:

Age - too old.
Opportunity to blood Spurs youth. I would rather give Scarlett or Parrott a chance than buy Ings.
55 goals in 140 matches. Only one season with more than 15 goals in the league.
Failure to cut it at Liverpool. Less pressure IMHO at Southampton.
Although not injury prone at Southampton, I still have an eye on his injury record at Liverpool.

I'm inclined that way ..

He's never real competition for Son/Kane and maybe that's the point, good enough to cover one or two game, make a sub impact and play in brick cup games.

I'm inclined that way ..

He's never real competition for Son/Kane and maybe that's the point, good enough to cover one or two game, make a sub impact and play in brick cup games.
IMO Ings is the next best English centre forward behind Kane. I also think he is a better number 9 than Son is.
Ings would be a very good, sensible signing to provide cover for Kane and also allow us to drop Kane into a number 10 role and bring him on as a 9 if we are chasing the game or playing a deep, defensive team that we expect to beat.
That's before considering the possibility of Kane leaving.... If this happens then I think it would be essential for us to bring in a player proven in the PL such as Ings (we could then also look to bring in a young, promising overseas player as well and not have immediate huge pressure placed on them to perform instantly).

IMO Ings is the next best English centre forward behind Kane. I also think he is a better number 9 than Son is.
Ings would be a very good, sensible signing to provide cover for Kane and also allow us to drop Kane into a number 10 role and bring him on as a 9 if we are chasing the game or playing a deep, defensive team that we expect to beat.
That's before considering the possibility of Kane leaving.... If this happens then I think it would be essential for us to bring in a player proven in the PL such as Ings (we could then also look to bring in a young, promising overseas player as well and not have immediate huge pressure placed on them to perform instantly).

Depends on if you expect goal output from your #9, Son's numbers are just consistently better than Ings

Ings always (for me), comes down to price, if we can make a smart deal for him, then why not? if the price creeps up, he quickly becomes less attractive.

Depends on if you expect goal output from your #9, Son's numbers are just consistently better than Ings

Ings always (for me), comes down to price, if we can make a smart deal for him, then why not? if the price creeps up, he quickly becomes less attractive.
Son has good numbers playing for a far better team and scores most of his goals from the LWF position as opposed to as a number 9 (though he has done a reasonable job when filling in for Harry). Personally I'd rather not weaken two positions when Kane is out (weaker at 9 due to Son not being as good as Kane, weaker at 11 because nobody in our squad is as good at 11 as Son).
Without only a year left on his contract Ings is a £40m+ player. With a year left he may be gettable for £20 to £25m. It would be just about impossible to bring in a better backup/rotation option for Kane for that sort of money. With Scarlett being at least a couple of years away from playing at this level this would be a really good, sensible signing (especially as he also doesn't take up an overseas spot). I know he's not a young, foreign player with a sexy name that we all hope could be the next Berbatov but he would be a better signing for us with our needs right now than pretty much any of those players.

Son has good numbers playing for a far better team and scores most of his goals from the LWF position as opposed to as a number 9 (though he has done a reasonable job when filling in for Harry). Personally I'd rather not weaken two positions when Kane is out (weaker at 9 due to Son not being as good as Kane, weaker at 11 because nobody in our squad is as good at 11 as Son).
Without only a year left on his contract Ings is a £40m+ player. With a year left he may be gettable for £20 to £25m. It would be just about impossible to bring in a better backup/rotation option for Kane for that sort of money. With Scarlett being at least a couple of years away from playing at this level this would be a really good, sensible signing (especially as he also doesn't take up an overseas spot). I know he's not a young, foreign player with a sexy name that we all hope could be the next Berbatov but he would be a better signing for us with our needs right now than pretty much any of those players.
Ings is the closest we could get to Kane from anywhere IMO. His price is also favourable
But as we have covered many times a lot comes down to what our plans are for Kane
Ings and another striker with time to settle would be a great place to be if we are selling Kane

well, there is your bit, it comes down to that

£20M = he's probably a steal
£30M = too high for a player who won't start PL games

I get what everyone is say about Ings he is a GOOD player for sure, However i still believe that if Kane does stay i can not see Ings wanting to spend the majority of the season getting splinters in his arse from sitting on the bench. I exspect s o me will say we will play both of them together but IMO i do not see that happening enough times.

Or £30m is a bargain for a player who we trust to start prem games instead of Kane or son with no clear detriment of quality

I’ll add that we won’t IMO buy him

£30M if you didn't have a lot of other priorities

I think Ings would be opportunistic, at the right price.

Considering his club seems to get tinkley with us, like you, not sure it will happen.

£30M if you didn't have a lot of other priorities

I think Ings would be opportunistic, at the right price.

Considering his club seems to get tinkley with us, like you, not sure it will happen.
Agree with all of that
Without his contract situation it’s a lot more money
We won’t IMO move for a striker unless we sell Kane

Adding a player like Ings to the squad (with Kane staying) would show we mean business and intend to compete on multiple fronts.

What that alone? Not for me, not with the current state of our defence .... but there is time. However I'd 100% agree with you if we addressed the defence and perhaps the need for a creative talisman.

When I read Ings to Spurs articles it makes me think of this transfer (and he's available now).

hi-res-765f6c89b06bce8d0641b4ccd729a9a8_crop_north.jpg

I think Kane will stay another season so on that we won’t buy him but I do rate Ings
I hope you’re right. Next season we will be vulnerable unless Kane surprises everyone and signs a new deal, so it would be good if we got an able deputy in this year to reduce the reliance and allow some rotation. If that’s a younger player (Vlahovic?) they could be incentivised by learning from / playing with Kane and the prospect of him going next season moreso than someone like Ings. If he does go maybe Ings and a prospect would be the way to go?

Back