• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Anyone else extremely worried about the prospect of Eric fudging Dier and Davinson Sanchez aka the physically weakest CB in the league as our starting CB’s for next season? Literally as bad as it has been since the Gross/Hoddle/Pleat days.

No, it has been very clear that the club understands the CB position is the #1 priority to fix. It also seems clear we now have a model to conduct multiple deals at same time.

Dier & Sanchez would be a disaster, but it is also very clear Sanchez is being shopped around pretty hard.

No, it has been very clear that the club understands the CB position is the #1 priority to fix. It also seems clear we now have a model to conduct multiple deals at same time.

Dier & Sanchez would be a disaster, but it is also very clear Sanchez is being shopped around pretty hard.
We'll probably keep one of Dier and Sanchez. I'd prefer Dier out of the two as he can cover multiple positions.

Hopefully the rumoured deals for CBs can be done quickly and they'll be fairly settled and up to speed by the start of the season.

I hope you are right mate. I find it strange that the starting point of upgrading the CB’s is shipping out our best CB even at the age of 32. I’m also puzzled as to how Dier has somehow fooled people at the club into believing he’s a viable option at CB.

Think this would be good for all parties

- I don't think any of us want to see Toby deteriorate any more, had some good moments last season, enough to remind us what he used to be.
- Last payday, a year or two and he can do his Belgium thing if he wants or retire
- We get some funds to rebuilding the side.
Yup, seems to suit all parties and we get to remember the prime Toby rather than one that stayed too long.

I too am concerned that we're letting go our best CB a few weeks before the season starts without any replacements yet signed. Even if one or two come in today that doesn't leave long to get settled and up to speed.

Like the sound of Romero but the Japanese lad is at the Olympics and presumably not going to be relied upon as a first XI player for some time as a result (if they sign). I fear we're hampering the integration of our new defenders here.

Last edited:
I too am concerned that we're letting go our best CB a few weeks before the season starts without any replacements yet signed. Even if one or two come in today that doesn't leave long to get settled and up to speed
That 13m might be the difference between being able to sign one of the new CBs. Would rather suffer the short term of the replacement not being fully up to speed and have the long term benefit.

That 13m might be the difference between being able to sign one of the new CBs. Would rather suffer the short term of the replacement not being fully up to speed and have the long term benefit.

Surely we could get 13m or more for Dier if we need the money that badly - using him as a starting CB will lose us points that could cost us a lot more come the end of the season

Surely we could get 13m or more for Dier if we need the money that badly - using him as a starting CB will lose us points that could cost us a lot more come the end of the season
Unfortunately Toby has been going down hill for the last couple of seasons and no reason to think that is going to change this season.
It's the right time to cash in even if we do have the suffer a little at the start of the season. I don't believe Toby would make any
real difference anyway with the continued drop off in his performances and is just as likely to be on the bench as any of our current
CB options.

I too am concerned that we're letting go our best CB a few weeks before the season starts without any replacements yet signed. Even if one or two come in today that doesn't leave long to get settled and up to speed.

Like the sound of Romero but the Japanese lad is at the Olympics and presumably not going to be relied upon as a first XI player for some time as a result (if they sign). I fear we're hampering the integration of our new defenders here.
It's a risk with injury but maybe he can go but on the last day of the window...so he can help us in August.?

I think a lot of people are missing the point

Toby has asked the club to go, so saying he's wherever in ranking matters not, he wants out, he's on the back end of his career

Old Spurs might have held on to him too long, hopefully new Spurs takes whatever money we can get and spends it well on a replacement now.

I think a lot of people are missing the point

Toby has asked the club to go, so saying he's wherever in ranking matters not, he wants out, he's on the back end of his career

Old Spurs might have held on to him too long, hopefully new Spurs takes whatever money we can get and spends it well on a replacement now.

Whether a player wants to go or not isn't my primary concern - he's contracted to the club and signed his last contract a year or so ago so if he's of more use to us as a player than as an outgoing transfer then that's what he should be getting on with.

I think he should have been moved on when he reneged on the contract that was agreed during Pochettino's time, but that was then and now we're in a different situation - i think we'll be stronger in the first half of the season with him as an option, which ultimately will give us a better chance of achieving our goals this season.

I think it's fine, Nuno is onboard with Levy's desire for "exciting football", he saw the stick Jose got too, he's going to give the fans what they demand, we won't use any CB's.

We'll probably keep one of Dier and Sanchez. I'd prefer Dier out of the two as he can cover multiple positions.

Hopefully the rumoured deals for CBs can be done quickly and they'll be fairly settled and up to speed by the start of the season.
True.... He can cover as a really poor centre back or an atrocious defensive midfield player.

I do think that Dier will end up staying, but only because we'll be unable to find a club that would give us any money for him.

Back