• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pierluigi Gollini

https://www.football.london/tottenh...gi-gollini-tottenham-transfer-switch-21123055

Atalanta goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini has admitted that the offer of joining Tottenham Hotspur was the "best one" out of the proposals that were put to him.

The 26-year-old shot-stopper has made the admission ahead of sealing his season-long loan move to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

Gollini, who has spent time in England in the past with Aston Villa, is poised to become Spurs head coach Nuno Espirito Santo's first signing since he took charge earlier this month.

He has completed his medical in Italy and is now on his way to London to be officially unveiled as a Tottenham player, meaning he will add strength in depth to Espirito Santo's goalkeeping department.

As well as admitting that the proposal from Spurs was the "best one," he has also revealed his admiration for Spurs No.1 Hugo Lloris.

As quoted by Italian sports journalist Fabrizio Romano, Gollini, speaking from an Italian airport, said: "I had proposals from Italian clubs but Tottenham are the best one.

"I respect Hugo Lloris, he's a great goalkeeper and I'm proud to work with him at Spurs."

Gollini is poised to arrive in north London as Lloris' deputy, demoting Joe Hart to third in the pecking order in the process.

It was reported earlier this week in the Italian media that Tottenham can sign Gollini on a permanent basis this summer for £13million. That will become an obligation if the Italy international makes 20 appearances or more for his new club this season.

Gets down fast, looks faster and braver than Loris to come off his line to block the angles.

Not sure about his involvement at Villa but should be clear about the physicality of the league so can expect to hit the ground running.

You can see how this seems like the perfect career move for him.
He speaks the language.
He's had experience of English football at a lower tier already.
It's a transfer to a bigger club than he's ever played for.
He'll be playing for a manager who was a goalkeeper.
Initial understanding that he'll be behind the captain and goalkeeper for the World Cup winners who is in the last year of his contract
If he performs well then a long-term deal is automatically his and he's got the chance to lay claim to a starting spot for the coming years at a club that is ardently marketing itself as trying to push up (again) to challenge at the top level.

Interesting deal if this happens. At worst a competent backup on loan for a season, at best - who knows...

Don't know anything about him, seems ridiculous to think that a player that wasn't first choice for Atalanta at 26 will be our answer long term. Then again, who would have thought Szczesny would become first choice for Juventus.

I think he will end the season as number 1 if Hugo doesn’t sign a new deal

Is there a year extension option for Hugo (in our favour)? If not, Hugo might not be here for the start of next season, let alone the end of it partiularly if we could get a decent fee out of PSG

Is there a year extension option for Hugo (in our favour)? If not, Hugo might not be here for the start of next season, let alone the end of it partiularly if we could get a decent fee out of PSG
Cant see Hugo being interested in being back up to Donnarumma.

Cant see Hugo being interested in being back up to Donnarumma.

Fair point. If he doesnt / wont sign an extension though, then it would make sense if we looked around to see whether anyone was prepared to pay enough

Interesting deal if this happens. At worst a competent backup on loan for a season, at best - who knows...

Don't know anything about him, seems ridiculous to think that a player that wasn't first choice for Atalanta at 26 will be our answer long term. Then again, who would have thought Szczesny would become first choice for Juventus.
Think that says more about how Juve have fallen than Szczesny.

Thought Lloris was excellent last season, made some superb saves. A few dodgy moments still but if he wants to stay I'd have him as our no.1 for the coming season minimum.

Both keepers appear to have issues with crosses which is a worry for me

Yep vampire keepers
Don’t know why but keepers seem to be coached to NOT come for crosses now
Same as CBS not being coached to attack the attacker (they all stand off and wait)
I think our reflects how the game has developed. A lot more attributes that become important as teams press higher and play out from the back through pressure more.

The more attributes you want in a single player the harder it is to find that player. Teams might see more value in having a "sweeper keeper" good with the ball at his feet, comfortable coming off his line, good in one vs one situations.

So teams go for keepers that aren't as good coming for crosses. Going for a lot of crosses when you're not good at it is a recipe for disaster, so some keepers are asked to be more conservative in that regard.

Just comes down to the style of play and spending power of the club.

Back