• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Southgate has been clear on the reason for choosing the penalty takers he did. It was based on their record and how they had been doing in training. Outside of Kane, Rashford and Sancho we don't have any players who regularly take penalties for their clubs. Saka has shown incredible strength during this tournament and has been one of England's stand out performers. I would imagine that he has been similarly impressive in training. Sterling doesn't have a good penalty record, 2 out of 4 for club and country.

This is the penalty record of the England team prior to Sunday's shootout

England-penalty-takers.png
They take penalties in practice and Steve Holland keeps a record
That’s his they decide who takes them in games
Seems sensible TBH
And there are some decent studies out there that that demonstrate that younger and fresher players do better in shoot outs
Just for the random record…
Left footed players generally go to the keeper left (like saka did)
Rashford took his penalty how he takes most and he is bloody good at the normally
I’ve never seen sancho take one to comment TBH

Ill add that in the game saka for me looked like a rabbit in the headlights a lot of the time, he didn’t know where he was playing and he looked like he chucked in to make things happen. In the games he has started he has looked settled and much calmer. With that in mind to me he wasnt one to take a pen.

if the other 2 had scored after coming on it would have been a master stroke from Southgate

and finally … if people have an issue with black players or non white players were fudged as national side as we’re about as mixed and diverse as a side could ever get. The players seem pretty damn happy with it and so does the manager. The only ones who down are a minority of plebs who use social media to abuse and then hide

and nine if this is aimed at you by the way @milo. I was just responding to your table :)

Thought it was weird Grealish wasn’t allowed to take one, he’s said he asked to. Bizarre they chose Saka over him? I know a few Arsenal fans and they were dreading him taking one.

Not acceptable to sing it then either. Doubt I’ll be able to change your mind though.
It’s a football match, fans will sing stuff like this, as long as it’s not racist I don’t see the issue I really dont. We sing “if you are an Arsenal fan surrender or you die”, doesn’t mean it’s true.

It’s a football match, fans will sing stuff like this, as long as it’s not racist I don’t see the issue I really dont. We sing “if you are an Arsenal fan surrender or you die”, doesn’t mean it’s true.
Some people are just overly sensitive and looking for something to be outraged about.

Leeds dingdongheads at Old Trafford today.

Scara amongst them?

They may or may not have been singing that with racist undertones we don’t know. But singing that after the pair of them have just been racially abused, it’s not a good look. Those Leeds fans singing are either too thick to realise that or just don’t care.

They may or may not have been singing that with racist undertones we don’t know. But singing that after the pair of them have just been racially abused, it’s not a good look. Those Leeds fans singing are either too thick to realise that or just don’t care.
Who would think most football fans who sing offensive songs are are thick!

I don’t think we will ever have an easier chance of winning a world cup and Euros like we had in the 2 previous. I think if we had a different manager in charge we would have won both competitions.

How many top teams did we play in both combined?
Belgium, Germany and Italy? And we lost 3 out of 4 of those. Yes we played teams that had good tournaments such as Denmark but it would have been an upset if we had of lost. We have one of the strongest England squads that we have had in a long time and the guy doesn’t even make a sub, Ridiculous.

I don’t think we will ever have an easier chance of winning a world cup and Euros like we had in the 2 previous. I think if we had a different manager in charge we would have won both competitions.

Belgium, Germany and Italy? And we lost 3 out of 4 of those. Yes we played teams that had good tournaments such as Denmark but it would have been an upset if we had of lost. We have one of the strongest England squads that we have had in a long time and the guy doesn’t even make a sub, Ridiculous.

He was an adequate manager with an average CV when appointed. He’s still an adequate manager now.

He is clueless, it's been said by lots for years now
When the camera panned in on him after Poland had equalised was ridiculous he is about as inspiring as a cup of cold tinkle

You've won one trophy in almost 100 years of international football and that was over 60 years ago and you think you should have won the last two with a different manager? This despite excellent and proven coaches like Bobby Robson, Terry Venables, Glenn Hoddle, Sven & Capello not winning a thing between them. That's a bit of a leap.

I don't like or rate Southgate but he's done a decent job. Biggest problem you have, for me, is not the manager. It's the fact you prefer the likes of Peter Reid to Glenn Hoddle, Lampard and Gerrard to Carrick etc. and aren't producing the type of midfielder that can dictate play. Rice and Philipps in midfield is a joke at that level. I guess England are also a bit sexy at this stage too given there have been so many times when they've been close only to blow it.

Back