• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer rumours - summer 2021 edition

We need to buy a scottish club. Then use it to give young prospects first team experience. Like red bull salzburg for leipzig.

ENIC actually tried that in the beginning, their plan was multiple clubs

As @Finney Is Back mentioned, ran into some legality issues, however since then City/RB seemingly have figured out a way

ENIC actually tried that in the beginning, their plan was multiple clubs

As @Finney Is Back mentioned, ran into some legality issues, however since then City/RB seemingly have figured out a way

Wasn't legality. They sold their shares in the other clubs to fund the takeover of spurs. As well as their shares in autonomy (which looking back you'd have to say was a mistake)..

Not officially. But as red bull have shown there are ways around it. We could have say a 49% stake in a scottish club and the majority owner have a small stake in spurs.
Ironically ENIC did have a significant stake in Rangers before Spurs….

Wasn't legality. They sold their shares in the other clubs to fund the takeover of spurs. As well as their shares in autonomy (which looking back you'd have to say was a mistake)..

I may be way off (memory failing) but I seem to recall a multi-club vision, and because of those challenges, they opted to sell out and go all in on Spurs ..

I may be way off (memory failing) but I seem to recall a multi-club vision, and because of those challenges, they opted to sell out and go all in on Spurs ..

From wiki

Previously a private investment trust, English National Investment Company was floated on the London stock exchange in 1997 as ENIC plc and became a holding company for sports, media and leisure businesses. During the football investment boom of the mid to late 1990s it began to acquire shares in football clubs around Europe and bought stakes in Tottenham Hotspur (29.9%), Rangers F.C. (25.1%), SK Slavia Prague (96.7%), AEK Athens F.C. (47%), Vicenza Calcio (99.9%) and FC Basel (50%).[3][4][5]

As well as football clubs, ENIC also invested in other businesses, such as software company Autonomy, retailer Warner Bros. Studio Stores, gambling website ukbetting.com and entertainment complex Church Street Station.

In 2001 ENIC bought a controlling stake in Tottenham Hotspur F.C. from Alan Sugar and Levy became chairman of the club. Later in 2001, ENIC's listing was transferred from the main stock exchange to the AIM index.[6]

In 2003 Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy, who controlled 52% of ENIC shares, formed Kondar Ltd to buy out the remaining shareholders. A cash offer of £40m was made to take the company back into private ownership.[7] Following the buyout, Lewis and Levy controlled 70.6% and 29.4% respectively of shares in ENIC, which was delisted from AIM and renamed ENIC Group.

In May 2006 ENIC transferred 61% stake in SK Slavia Prague to Czech brokerage firm Key Investments.[8][9] In January 2008 Key Investment breached the contract with ENIC and increased the equity of SK Slavia Prague.[9]

Following its purchase of Sugar's remaining shares in Tottenham Hotspur in 2007, ENIC continued to build up its stake, taking its shareholding to 85%. To fund this investment it disposed of its stakes in other football clubs as well as many of its media and entertainment businesses.[citation needed]

The mistake was selling their 20% stake in autonomy. As hp bought autonomy a few years later for $11bn. Although there was a big hoo hah about it.

An owner can't have a majority stake in two clubs who could play in the same competition can they?

We'd be fine as long as they didn't end up in the same European competition as us. There is no need to own them though, you can have informal arrangements with foreign clubs to loan them players.

We'd be fine as long as they didn't end up in the same European competition as us. There is no need to own them though, you can have informal arrangements with foreign clubs to loan them players.

Problem is you can only lend a couple. I'm thinking buy back clauses. Have them at our academy, they hit 18 sell to the scottish team. If they do well buy back and use.

Anyway it's probably not going to happen. Was just thinking out loud.

Problem is you can only lend a couple. I'm thinking buy back clauses. Have them at our academy, they hit 18 sell to the scottish team. If they do well buy back and use.

Anyway it's probably not going to happen. Was just thinking out loud.

It might not be the best league for it. There are a lot of ageing cloggers and it might not be the best environment to bring through technical players.

True. But it's still a big lump of change.
iirc I think they sold some but still retained an interest but I'm sure they were then fully sold out by the time HP bought Autonomy out.

They were in at the seed investment stage so still made a killing. It's tough calling an exit with tech, there's unicorns and dogs with fleas. (As HP will confirm to you...£8bn+ write down:eek:)

Last edited:
It might not be the best league for it. There are a lot of ageing cloggers and it might not be the best environment to bring through technical players.
If technical players can do well up there in a very physical league then they should fit well into an English PL team…. Sounds like we could do this using a friendly agent… does anyone know if our Chairman, DoF and manager might have one in mind?!? ;)

If technical players can do well up there in a very physical league then they should fit well into an English PL team…. Sounds like we could do this using a friendly agent… does anyone know if our Chairman, DoF and manager might have one in mind?!? ;)

It would suit some but I'm not sure that it would be a good approach for many. It is certainly not something that we see being done by many top sides

Back