• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Matt Doherty

Getting beat as regularly as he did 1 v 1 is bad enough but the way he got beaten for the goal was pathetic. He almost took a step up so all Tierney had to do was knock it past him and he had the space, pace and momentum to leave Doherty for dead.

Doherty needed to jockey him. It was a basic lesson you learn when you’re around 12 years of age and yet Doherty did the opposite.

I’ve been really disappointed in him. He started so so. Not great but not bad. His defending over the last couple of months hasn’t even been Championship standard. I don’t want to write him off but as a seasoned pro and at 29 years of age, it’s hard to see how he improves.

Yep. I remember you giving Aurier pelters because he got beaten by Rashford once (while making a far better attempt than Doherty did on Sunday) in the game at Old Trafford.
He got beat by him many times in the first half alone mate
He was woeful
And sissoko had to cover for him
It was the game sisoako gave the penalty a way after Aurier got skinned

It happens
But when it happens all the time it’s a problem
It’s why Ben Davies is no longer going forward as his lack of pace will expose him

He doesn’t look comfortable in his role at all, maybe an example of a player looking a lot better in a specific system.

I’ll hold my hands up and say I genuinely thought as he was prem proven l, with a goal and assist record not too dissimilar to most of our rwfs and with the low bar set by Aurier he was the lowest risk of all our signings!

I think Doherty got plaudits at Wolves for arriving late in the box and scoring. Not for his defending.

So it is a bit like signing Mahrez and playing him at right back... (I know that is an exaggeration and Mahrez is a better defender than Doh!erty)

I think Doherty got plaudits at Wolves for arriving late in the box and scoring. Not for his defending.

So it is a bit like signing Mahrez and playing him at right back... (I know that is an exaggeration and Mahrez is a better defender than Doh!erty)

That's ok, if he actually looked like he had a clue when he got high up the pitch for us (most of the times he looks lost, complete deer in headlights)

Maybe a light at end of tunnel?

Ryan Mason mentioned Doherty returned to training yesterday.
Is it just a coincidence that he is back the day Mourinho left?

Ryan Mason mentioned Doherty returned to training yesterday.
Is it just a coincidence that he is back the day Mourinho left?

That article in The Athletic mentioned Doherty as one of the players who didn't respons well to Mourinho's critical approach, IIRC. Reportedly his confidence was/is shattered, so if there's truth in that, perhaps he could come good under a different manager.

None of those three are his manager for Ireland and he sucks big time in the emerald green of Ireland.

He had personal issues with Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane and their chippy little telling the players they were good enough management style.
He was fine under Nuno at Wolves.
If you want to just have a go at him then well done.

He had personal issues with Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane and their chippy little telling the players they were good enough management style.
He was fine under Nuno at Wolves.
If you want to just have a go at him then well done.

He hasnt been good for Ireland. O Neill and Keane are no longer Ireland managers. The evidence on ground is that although he was good for Nuno, he has been crap for other managers. Perhaps we should ask Nuno if he is ok with having him back at a discount. I understand why he was bought and he may need another year. However right now all I see is someone without a stand out attribute and me wondering why we bought him.

He hasnt been good for Ireland. O Neill and Keane are no longer Ireland managers. The evidence on ground is that although he was good for Nuno, he has been crap for other managers. Perhaps we should ask Nuno if he is ok with having him back at a discount. I understand why he was bought and he may need another year. However right now all I see is someone without a stand out attribute and me wondering why we bought him.

Yes we all know he hasn't been good.
If you think you are sick of him imagine having to watch him fill in at centre half and left back during Ireland's Covid crisis.

But what has that got to do with this idle speculation that Doherty is back to fitness the day after Mourinho left being very coincidental.
And that he hasn't got on personally with managers using Mourinho's old school methods in the past.

Let's just hope that Dohertys first season was due to being at a new club with a lot of instability. I'll stick my neck out and say that he will be better next season, especially if conte is the manager playing with wing backs.

Let's just hope that Dohertys first season was due to being at a new club with a lot of instability. I'll stick my neck out and say that he will be better next season, especially if conte is the manager playing with wing backs.
I'm always up for giving a player at least a season to settle so fingers crossed it was just a bad intro for him and next season will be better.

He honestly couldn't be much worse.

Back