• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

Dembele was never deadwood and are we comparing a player of his level with some of our current midfield options.
AVB dembele was a big part of the 'turgid' problem. And first season Poch would only use him as an AM because of how he impaired our transitioning

I think 2014 dembele was a lower base than where ndombele and lo celso are now

You do realise that Sturridge has played about 3000 minutes in the last five seasons right?

And Shaqiri has played about the same in three seasons at Liverpool?

But you keep telling yourself that they were Klopps secret weapons and prove he was heavily backed
What's wrong with you ? [emoji1787][emoji1787]

You keep running off on arguments that I haven't made. Bro read what I said not what you imagine I said.

What's wrong with you ? [emoji1787][emoji1787]

You keep running off on arguments that I haven't made. Bro read what I said not what you imagine I said.
You said they were better options and would have made our starting 11 basically.

I simply pointed out that Sturridge has played the equivalent of 33 games in five years and Shaqiri not much better in his three seasons there.

You think there might be a reason for this? Like they are perpetually injured and/or rubbish

Yeah they backed their manager with a 9M LB from Hull and an academy RB, while Henderson and Milner played CM.
Salah cost 34M, Firminho is no better than Son, and no one was bemoaning the lack of quality in Kane and Eriksen up top for us.

In fact, how many fans wanted them to ever get a rest?

They won because Klopp >>>>>>>> Poch which is why I’m baffled at the clamor for him to return after going to a one team league and finishing second.
They won because they had a better squad than us…. It’s why they had finished a close second in the PL in 2019 and won the PL in 2020.

It is difficult to understand someone who thinks Sturridge and Shaqiri are better options than Moura and Llorente.
The two players who knocked City and Ajax out.
And even more baffling that you believe they would have got 1 minute under Poch.

But yeah, Sturridge did something in 2011 and Shaqiri was better Charlie Adam at Stoke so I wish we signed them
I thought it was Origi who was their backup centre forward anyway?

They won because they had a better squad than us…. It’s why they had finished a close second in 2019 and won the PL in 2020.
Poch would have won nothing with that squad and Klopp would won something with ours

I think that’s more realistic than claiming Eriksen and Son could have been rotated with Shaqiri and Lallana

Poch would have won nothing with that squad and Klopp would won something with ours

I think that’s more realistic than claiming Eriksen and Son could have been rotated with Shaqiri and Lallana

What gives you the certainty here? Poch was consistently finishing above Klopp in the league, then Liverpool went and spent top money on some of the best players in the world in their position (Allison, VVD), then they won things.

What gives you the certainty here? Poch was consistently finishing above Klopp in the league, then Liverpool went and spent top money on some of the best players in the world in their position (Allison, VVD), then they won things.
Maybe if Poch spent 70M on players we needed instead of 70M on Aurier and Sanchez, he might have given himself a shot

I put a bet on him based on your ITK* I hold you responsible for me losing a fiver.

*Maybe not totally on your ITK.
Apologies for that…. At least DC’s post shows my old man wasn’t talking brick though… His info does actually tend to be very good, even if his pronunciation of the names is almost as bad as David Pleat’s on a bad day. PM me if you want to know where it comes from.

Maybe if Poch spent 70M on players we needed instead of 70M on Aurier and Sanchez, he might have given himself a shot

Preach, brother! I'm sure Poch would have loved to do that. Instead he was operating with a wage budget that meant he couldn't go for the level of players he is working with now. His whole 'we need new furniture' was a way to pressure the club into signing more proven players rather than punts. I'm sure he looked at what Liverpool were able to achieve and firmly believed he could do the same if given the tools.

Preach, brother! I'm sure Poch would have loved to do that. Instead he was operating with a wage budget that meant he couldn't go for the level of players he is working with now. His whole 'we need new furniture' was a way to pressure the club into signing more proven players rather than punts. I'm sure he looked at what Liverpool were able to achieve and firmly believed he could do the same if given the tools.

You mean like the decent RB he turned down who went to the mighty Leicester while he personally called Aurier and asked him to join us.....and I’m pretty sure he could have signed a competent DM for 44M instead of a substitute CB.

Poch was given 450M worth of tools in some 26 signings in 5 seasons. It’s not Levys fault that Poch decided KWP was better than Trippier, and then proceeded to throw KWP in the bin while experimenting in a NLD with Sanchez as RB.

Poch had 35M worth of back up strikers in Janssen and Llorente. It’s an easy narrative to claim “they were brick”, but how about a little bit of integration instead of running Kane into the ground? I think Janssen was given 2000 minutes in three seasons, probably played less than five full matches.

Poch wasn’t a miracle worker on a shoe string, he was a blinkered manager that threw his toys out the pram when he had to think outside the box and as he is proving now at PSG, he just isn’t a winner.

Last edited:
You mean like the decent RB he turned down who went to the mighty Leicester while he personally called Aurier and asked him to join us.....and I’m pretty sure he could have signed a competent DM for 44M instead of a substitute CB.

Poch was given 450M worth of tools in some 26 signings in 5 seasons. It’s not Levys fault that Poch decided KWP was better than Trippier, and then proceeded to throw KWP in the bin while experimenting in a NLD with Sanchez as RB.

Poch had 35M worth of back up strikers in Janssen and Llorente. It’s an easy narrative to claim “they were brick”, but how about a little bit of integration instead of running Kane into the ground? I think Janssen was given 2000 minutes in three seasons, probably played less than five full matches.

Poch wasn’t a miracle worker on a shoe string, he was a blinkered manager that threw his toys out the pram when he had to think outside the box and as he is proving now at PSG, he just isn’t a winner.

Lol what? He wanted mane and gino wijnaldum and end up with njie and sissoko, never asked for jansen, didn't get a replacement for walker immediately... wanted proven players of which he should have been backed with, not with the dross afforded to him.

To say that he is throwing his toys out at PSG is ridiculous. Many managers there have clashed with Leonardo, and he has not even had a full season yet you are judging on exactly just that.

Lol what? He wanted mane and gino wijnaldum and end up with njie and sissoko, never asked for jansen, didn't get a replacement for walker immediately... wanted proven players of which he should have been backed with, not with the dross afforded to him.

To say that he is throwing his toys out at PSG is ridiculous. Many managers there have clashed with Leonardo, and he has not even had a full season yet you are judging on exactly just that.
Ahhhh so this miracle worker super coach could only get already top players to perform?

He never wanted Janssen doesn’t mean he didn’t have 22M back up striker at his disposal if he had the managerial ability to get something out of the player

Ahhhh so this miracle worker super coach could only get already top players to perform?

He never wanted Janssen doesn’t mean he didn’t have 22M back up striker at his disposal if he had the managerial ability to get something out of the player

Lol you have made my day. What ready made players did he have when he joined the club? The best players he had were made better, but to cross the line he probably needed a few quality additions of his choice.

Did you not see jansen on the pitch?

I assume you mean Pereira here? If so then your dates are a bit mixed up.... Pereira joined Leicester a whole year after we signed Aurier. Something that is worth looking at there though is that Leicester’s owner allowed their manager to do their business early (agreeing everything for Pereira on 20th May before the transfer window even opened). Leicester know they have to act early and decisively to get good players, hopefully now we have a DoF we will significantly improve here as well. It is worth noting that back in 2017 the club couldn’t agree a fee with Porto for Pereira so moved on.

Leicester are interested in at least two players this summer who would improve our team.... Soumare from Lille and Pereira from West Brom. The pair will probably cost under £45m combined. That is a very good price for 2 immediate first team upgrades.... let’s see whether with our new structure we can again act like a forward thinking club like Leicester in the transfer market as we have been held back by the previous structure that was in place.

Additionally looking at anything other than net spend is silly. If you have to sell £500m of players and can spend £200m then is your team likely to get better or worse? Pochettino had £5m net to spend per window up until his very last transfer window when he finally got a net amount commensurate with a Champions League club. Only for him to get sacked before he could actually use that net £70m worth of squad upgrades....

Last edited:
Eh? We needed a right back because Walker left. So we signed a decent one in Aurier, not as good as the one who left but decent nonetheless and has done pretty well. Sanchez? We needed cover for Verts and Alderweireld. To get the quality of Ruben Dias or VVD you need to spend at least another 20 million plus bigger wage.

Eh? We needed a right back because Walker left. So we signed a decent one in Aurier, not as good as the one who left but decent nonetheless and has done pretty well. Sanchez? We needed cover for Verts and Alderweireld. To get the quality of Ruben Dias or VVD you need to spend at least another 20 million plus bigger wage.
Yeah we signed a RB that was worse than Trippier and sold Trippier

Generally known as regression

Back