• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

See my post above, could do it for all 14 decades but basically we peaked 50's-80's and really outside of 60's in terms of trophy returns we have never had a dominant decade.

It's not about talking about 'dominant decades' it's showing that as a club we've always enjoyed regular-ish trophy success and that our current drought isn't something we should write-off as 'the norm'...

Wait.....out of Son, Eriksen and Kane plus a peak Dele, you would have been happy to swap out who exactly for Lallana or Moses?

Shaquri, Sturridge and Rashford were comparable to some of our starters and were a level above our backups. [emoji2379]

Shaquri, Sturridge and Rashford were comparable to some of our starters and were a level above our backups. [emoji2379]

I think the point many of our fans still can’t see is that quite simply our rivals had better managers than Poch, not a better subs bench.

Epic straw clutch if you think we would have won the CL if we swapped Llorente, Lamela and Moura for Sturridge, Rashford and Shaqiri

You do realise we got to the final playing half a quarter final 1st leg, and whole 2nd leg and both semis without Kane right?

But don’t tell me, we lost the final because Sturridge and Shaqiri were on the wrong bench?
Scenes

I think the point many of our fans still can’t see is that quite simply our rivals had better managers than Poch, not a better subs bench.

Epic straw clutch if you think we would have won the CL if we swapped Llorente, Lamela and Moura for Sturridge, Rashford and Shaqiri

You do realise we got to the final playing half a quarter final 1st leg, and whole 2nd leg and both semis without Kane right?

But don’t tell me, we lost the final because Sturridge and Shaqiri were on the wrong bench?
Scenes

You draw so many conclusions, where did I say we would have won with those players? I simply stated that I believe they are better players than our backups options.

You seem to be under the impression that out team was as good as our rivals and suffered from poor management whereas I disagree and think the opposite. Our starting 11s were good but far from faultless (there some fairly obvious issues that I saw at the time imo) but yes I do think our backups or alternatives were quite poor.

Regarding the final maybe if we had Sturridge as our backup option instead of Llorente Poch might not have played a patently unfit Kane in the final?maybe if we had Shaquri on he bench when the attack wasn't working we could have tried something different with his additional attacking prowess?

You draw so many conclusions, where did I say we would have won with those players? I simply stated that I believe they are better players than our backups options.

You seem to be under the impression that out team was as good as our rivals and suffered from poor management whereas I disagree and think the opposite. Our starting 11s were good but far from faultless (there some fairly obvious issues that I saw at the time imo) but yes I do think our backups or alternatives were quite poor.

Regarding the final maybe if we had Sturridge as our backup option instead of Llorente Poch might not have played a patently unfit Kane in the final?maybe if we had Shaquri on he bench when the attack wasn't working we could have tried something different with his additional attacking prowess?
You mean Sturridge who hasn’t been fit for seven years?
Of course I draw conclusions....you said Shaqiri and Sturridge were par to our starters and a level above our back up.
Isn’t it logical to assume (if you are of that belief) that we would have won the CL if we had them seeing as......they won the CL?

You mean Sturridge who hasn’t been fit for seven years?
Of course I draw conclusions....you said Shaqiri and Sturridge were par to our starters and a level above our back up.
Isn’t it logical to assume (if you are of that belief) that we would have won the CL if we had them seeing as......they won the CL?

Well no, I didn't say anything about the final. You made that assumption and went off on one. I simply said they were comparable to some of our starters but more importantly and relevant to the debate... better than our backups.

Scenes
We lost the CL final because Liverpool are better than us, as evidenced by them beating us twice in the league that season as well as being about 20 points ahead of us and then winning the league at a canter the following season and beating us in every game since the final…..

We were better than Liverpool for a few seasons before 2019, but while our owners rested on their laurels Liverpool’s owners went and backed their manager, including getting him two of Poch’s first choice players.

We lost the CL final because Liverpool are better than us, as evidenced by them beating us twice in the league that season as well as being about 20 points ahead of us and then winning the league at a canter the following season and beating us in every game since the final…..

We were better than Liverpool for a few seasons before 2019, but while our owners rested on their laurels Liverpool’s owners went and backed their manager, including getting him two of Poch’s first choice players.
And of course the truth is actually somewhere in the middle
Pool backed their manager with signings as they had to. He inherited a poor side structurally with no talent coming through when he started. They started to recruit well and improved
I brought we brought more players in for Poch than they did for Klopp but the difference is the success of those signings for both clubs right now.
The team Poch inherited was still the nucleus of the current side here not that long ago
Another difference is pool managed their signings much better either by integrating them quickly or loaning them out. We got worse and worse at that and it stunted player development for quite a few players

Well no, I didn't say anything about the final. You made that assumption and went off on one. I simply said they were comparable to some of our starters but more importantly and relevant to the debate... better than our backups.
Hmmm so you believe, despite this, that had Liverpool not had them and we did, we would have still lost?
Maybe I’m just confused by Shaqiri being par with Eriksen who knows

Hmmm so you believe, despite this, that had Liverpool not had them and we did, we would have still lost?
Maybe I’m just confused by Shaqiri being par with Eriksen who knows
I have no idea if we would have won or not with better alternatives but I think it would undoubtedly have given us a better chance. It's not that difficult to understand...

Yeah they backed their manager with a 9M LB from Hull and an academy RB, while Henderson and Milner played CM.
Salah cost 34M, Firminho is no better than Son, and no one was bemoaning the lack of quality in Kane and Eriksen up top for us.

In fact, how many fans wanted them to ever get a rest?

They won because Klopp >>>>>>>> Poch which is why I’m baffled at the clamor for him to return after going to a one team league and finishing second.

I have no idea if we would have won or not with better alternatives but I think it would undoubtedly have given us a better chance. It's not that difficult to understand...
It is difficult to understand someone who thinks Sturridge and Shaqiri are better options than Moura and Llorente.
The two players who knocked City and Ajax out.
And even more baffling that you believe they would have got 1 minute under Poch.

But yeah, Sturridge did something in 2011 and Shaqiri was better Charlie Adam at Stoke so I wish we signed them

It is difficult to understand someone who thinks Sturridge and Shaqiri are better options than Moura and Llorente.
The two players who knocked City and Ajax out.
And even more baffling that you believe they would have got 1 minute under Poch.

But yeah, Sturridge did something in 2011 and Shaqiri was better Charlie Adam at Stoke so I wish we signed them
Llorente was brick so I think many players were better than him and Moura is brainless so yes again I do find those options better imo.

Llorente was brick so I think many players were better than him and Moura is brainless so yes again I do find those options better imo.
You do realise that Sturridge has played about 3000 minutes in the last five seasons right?

And Shaqiri has played about the same in three seasons at Liverpool?

But you keep telling yourself that they were Klopps secret weapons and prove he was heavily backed

Reactions: DTA
Or maybe they need to be strong enough not listen to the din and judge everyone afresh with their own eyes. If Poch had sacked off all the 'obvious deadwood' in 2014, Dembele and Rose would have been babies in the bathwater.

Doherty and Hart though I count as exceptions, because they are just proper brick!

Dembele was never deadwood and are we comparing a player of his level with some of our current midfield options.

Reactions: DTA
Back