• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

I think you are missing the point. If your first 11 are knackered you need options off the bench where there is a quality drop from your first team but still enough quality to turn the tide in one off games or to play earlier rounds so your first team do not run themselves into the ground, which is incidentally how both Origi and Batshuayi were used as well as all the "dross" at United who won 2 trophies . The evidence is there! Better resourced clubs win trophies. It is not a controversial point. It is practically unheard of for teams, outside of the top tier, to qualify for the Champs League and win a trophy in the same season. They simply don't have the squad depth. That is nothing to do with DNA. Especially as players and managers from Spurs have shown themselves capable of winning trophies elsewhere.
No I think the point being missed or indeed re mapped is that the likes of Batshuyi, Lallana, Sturridge, Shaqiri Moses and teenage Rashford was quality back up where as Moura and Llorente wasn’t.
People say we wasn’t prepared yet Sissoko and Winks were also back up the season we made top 4 and CL yet ended up playing most of the season.

Can anyone name Liverpool’s back up full backs? I can’t.
And as for Utd and Chelsea, funny how we regularly finished above and beat their so called superior squads isn’t it.

Had we won the CL final, would the back up suddenly be ok? But only getting there means they were rubbish?

The reason we lost wasn’t because our fringe players wasn’t doing a good job, they did their job. The manager and some key players failed us.

Reactions: DTA
No I think the point being missed or indeed re mapped is that the likes of Batshuyi, Lallana, Sturridge, Shaqiri Moses and teenage Rashford was quality back up where as Moura and Llorente wasn’t.
People say we wasn’t prepared yet Sissoko and Winks were also back up the season we made top 4 and CL yet ended up playing most of the season.

And as for Utd and Chelsea, funny how we regularly finished above and beat their so called superior squads isn’t it.

Had we won the CL final, would the back up suddenly be ok? But only getting there means they were rubbish?

The reason we lost wasn’t because our fringe players wasn’t doing a good job, they did their job. The manager and some key players failed us.
Ok mate we best agree to disagree. But it's an awful lot of managers who fail at Spurs and an awful lot of players too. Then both managers and players succeed else where or have already succeeded elsewhere. But hey must be managers and players.

We are on cusp of a new manager, let's see how he does.

Ok mate we best agree to disagree. But it's an awful lot of managers who fail at Spurs and an awful lot of players too. Then both managers and players succeed else where or have already succeeded elsewhere. But hey must be managers and players.

What's the consistent factor in all of it? Levy and Enic.

You have nailed it
They succeed elsewhere so Tottenham must be the problem
The culture, the mind set and the lack of actual belief

Fair enough but my main point is that if those players join City or Real, them winning things doesn’t prove much when those clubs are still winning stuff without them

Our standing as a club in a league where there are 4 mega rich clubs to beat to titles/trophies

Typically the richest teams win the top trophies, every man and his dog knows that, but its not the case every season across every league around the world. The favourites do not always win everything all the time.

We are not poor and have enough to compete and get a strong team together.

Lacking that final push to make it happen is down to the Chairman as seen more than a few times.

What's the consistent factor in all of it? Levy and Enic.

Indeed. For years and years I have been desperately angry and frustrated at Levy's poor goalkeeping, slipshod defending and inability to finish off chances in big games alongside ENIC's apparent refusal to execute basic passes to teammates in big matches leading to a failure to play in a way that has been done against 'smaller' opponents. And don't get me started on the strange in-game selection and tactical decisions that have been made by them.

Criminal, I tell thee. Criminal.

Last edited:
Indeed. For years and years I have been desperately angry and frustrated and Levy's poor goalkeeping, slipshod defending and inability to finish off chances in big games alongside ENIC's apparent refusal to execute basic passes to teammates in big matches leading to a failure to play in a way that has been done against 'smaller' opponents. And don't get me started on the strange in-game selection and tactical decisions that have been made by them.

Lol indeed ... should have backed the managers with proper players instead of playing himself

Well actually I do think those backup players you mention were better than our backups. Some of them were actually comparable to our starters.

If we had won the CL it would have been considered a miracle season because we were far from the best team on paper and didn't actually play that well to get there. But that is the beauty of cup football on any given day a team can overcome the odds. Getting to the final was that for us.

Indeed. For years and years I have been desperately angry and frustrated at Levy's poor goalkeeping, slipshod defending and inability to finish off chances in big games alongside ENIC's apparent refusal to execute basic passes to teammates in big matches leading to a failure to play in a way that has been done against 'smaller' opponents. And don't get me started on the strange in-game selection and tactical decisions that have been made by them.

Strawman argument right there...

Well actually I do think those backup players you mention were better than our backups. Some of them were actually comparable to our starters.

If we had won the CL it would have been considered a miracle season because we were far from the best team on paper and didn't actually play that well to get there. But that is the beauty of cup football on any given day a team can overcome the odds. Getting to the final was that for us.
Agree, we were very lucky getting to the final, City and Ajax were both far better than us. Massively rode our luck. The annoying thing is when Chelsea had a similarly lucky run to the final they managed to back it up by winning the final against Munich! We just don’t seem to have that in us at the moment.

Our standing as a club in a league where there are 4 mega rich clubs to beat to titles/trophies
Agree Bill. But the fact remains that won't change under Levy and Enic. Now again that is not a criticism because they have made their MO clear and I can't really blame them for not taking big risks, it's their money not mine. But being the romantic football fan it's not unreasonable to dream of owners who do take bigger risks or have deeper pockets with the view to making us go that extra step.

Anyway we move on to a new manager.

Agree, we were very lucky getting to the final, City and Ajax were both far better than us. Massively rode our luck. The annoying thing is when Chelsea had a similarly lucky run to the final they managed to back it up by winning the final against Munich! We just don’t seem to have that in us at the moment.
We played City without Kane. We played Ajax first leg without Kane Son and a crocked Wanyama and Danny Rose as an emergency midfielder, we made our luck through sheer resilience. That's why I don't subscribe to the bottling narrative. Quite frankly it detracts from what was a magnificent achievement by manager and players. I can't imagine when something like that will ever be done again. It's not comparable to the expensively put together Chelsea team that won in 2012.

We played City without Kane. We played Ajax first leg without Kane Son and a crocked Wanyama and Danny Rose as an emergency midfielder, we made our luck through sheer resilience. That's why I don't subscribe to the bottling narrative. Quite frankly it detracts from what was a magnificent achievement by manager and players.
It was a great achievement and resilient effort. We were quite clearly lucky though! I don’t think being honest about it detracts from anything personally?

It was a great achievement and resilient effort. We were quite clearly lucky though! I don’t think being honest about it detracts from anything personally?
I think also mate, the thing that gets me is that blame is heaped on players and managers as to why we have not won trophies. ENIC are not factored into the equation by many fans on this board. I don't criticize an investment company for looking after their investment. But I don't get when accountability is doled out, it always falls on managers and players and not the guys making the big decisions. I can't help thinking that's wilfully blind. And that's coming from a fan who is not anti Levy.

Typically the richest teams win the top trophies, every man and his dog knows that, but its not the case every season across every league around the world. The favourites do not always win everything all the time.

We are not poor and have enough to compete and get a strong team together.

Lacking that final push to make it happen is down to the Chairman as seen more than a few times.

First paragraph is correct, but typically other leagues have one or two rich sides whereas we have four here in the PL - I'm sure you can appreciate the difference in overturning one or two teams vs what we are tasked with.

Regarding being poor, depends when you are refering to and what you judge as being poor - post stadium build i agree we are not poor in relation to Liverpool & Chelsea (2 of the 4 richest clubs) i believe we have a similar turnover to both (excluding CL money) but prior to that we were comparatively poor in relation to 4 or 5 other clubs

Wait.....out of Son, Eriksen and Kane plus a peak Dele, you would have been happy to swap out who exactly for Lallana or Moses?

Back