• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Gold has said a few things this close season and as far as i can tell not many ( if any) have been true. This may happen but until it does i am not going to scream and scream about it.

Just because stuff doesn't come off doesn't mean the information he's been given hasn't been true. It's completely fair to wait until an official announcement, of course, but plenty on here will understandably read between the lines and see which way it's going. At this point in time it looks highly probable that we'll hire Fonseca due to the sheer volume of relatively respected journalists saying so.

Now, I wholeheartedly agree about the wetting the bed part. Some people tend to react with a bit of drama, but it's all part of the process. :p

Just because stuff doesn't come off doesn't mean the information he's been given hasn't been true. It's completely fair to wait until an official announcement, of course, but plenty on here will understandably read between the lines and see which way it's going. At this point in time it looks highly probable that we'll hire Fonseca due to the sheer volume of relatively respected journalists saying so.

Now, I wholeheartedly agree about the wetting the bed part. Some people tend to react with a bit of drama, but it's all part of the process. :p

Not if you have to wash the sheets;)

Not quite so random if we did apparently speak with him earlier.

The Athletic article is subscription only but here' are a couple of extracts :

Fonseca played under Jesus at Estrella Amadora. It turned out to be a transformational experience. Fonseca was nearing his thirties and before then had never shown any inclination to try his hand at coaching once his playing days were over. “Why?” Fonseca asks. “Because we didn’t learn too much as players. The game back then was very traditional, very physical. We used a lot of man-to-man marking. Jorge was the first tactical coach I had. He made us see things differently and I started to think about the game during the game very tactically. It became about three reference points: the space, the ball and our opponent. I learned a lot about defensive organisation from him. All the details of that phase of play. I started to understand many things.”

“I love teams that are courageous on the ball,” Fonseca elaborates. But Serie A made him recalibrate. “I’ve changed now. Keeping the ball as I love to do is not possible in Italy,” he observes and you can see that in the numbers. Roma currently rank midtable in possession (11th). “I’ve come to understand the importance of transitions. I realise how important it is to win the ball and attack fast because all the teams here are defensively well prepared. Finding space is difficult here. If you don’t attack fast they organise very quickly and you don’t have a transition.”

“The character of the players is really important to me,” Fonseca says. “Pedro didn’t play every game at Chelsea but when he did he worked so hard defensively. He is backing up everything I thought I knew about him. As for Mkhi he is very similar to Pedro. They’re very intelligent guys with a strong tactical capacity. But what I like seeing from them is the motivation. Mkhi works like he is 18 every day. It’s not easy to find characters like that. They’re a reference for the team just like Dzeko is.”

Gone from Naglesmann/Conte/Mopo/Rodgers to Derp

We vastly overrated the pull of the club

I didn’t.

There's an argument to be had that if we're now looking for the long-term, rather than appointing a manager for today, that we take the £150m-£200m for Kane any pay down the debt. Wheel and deal to improve the team where we can but improve the ability to compete in the market in future years

Excellent. Just what the club needs; a few years building up to starting yet another ‘project’.

Maybe the real target is a year away from joining and this is stop gap. Levy gives the fans what they want in a DOF, he hires a bang average manager who fail’s terribly, he sacks the pair at the end of the season, the DOF gets the blame and shows everyone that the DOF approach is not good, he takes full control again and Poch is now ready to return and everyone is happy again?

Do you really think the bloke who has overseen the charade of the past two months is capable of planning this far ahead with the footballing side of things?

I didn’t.

Excellent. Just what the club needs; a few years building up to starting yet another ‘project’.

Do you really think the bloke who has overseen the charade of the past two months is capable of planning this far ahead with the footballing side of things?

Why not? It could be like one of them movies where it looks like the guy has fudged up only for it to be a well thought out plan and he ends up on top out of no where.

So, if this is true

- everyone wanted a DoF hired to pick the manager, looks like it's exactly what happened and people are freaking out?

Young manager, known for playing attacking football, has won trophies in Portugal & Ukraine, beat City in CL, lets see ..

Levy get your fingers out of every pie, step back from the football side and let someone else make the decisions....

Not THOSE decisions!

This thread is worth a read... a little more balanced?

He has 9 trophies, managed in multiple leagues, has managed both Europa and CL sides including some notable victories over City & Ajax

He is young, apparently plays attractive football and willing to use young players

Here's the truth, most of us don't know anything near enough about most managers outside the PL, the reaction here is because it's not a name that the media told people is a good/ambitious one.

Like I said earlier in this thread, where was the underwhelming flimflam talk for Ole/Lampard/Arteta? This fudging guy has way more qualifications than any of those fudging pretenders.

Not really . Poch had SCBC going in a good direction.
This fella failed at Roma . Got their belly’s tickled by United. Failed to beat anyone in Italy’s top 6 or even 8.

Was ok in Ukraine in a two horse race.

The new DOF is not a good fit either
. Now appointing this fella feels like an utter shambles

Why ever not? Is he proving that with a string of poor decisions and ill-forged personal relationships with colleagues at Tottenham over a series of months?

He has 9 trophies, managed in multiple leagues, has managed both Europa and CL sides including some notable victories over City & Ajax

He is young, apparently plays attractive football and willing to use young players

Here's the truth, most of us don't know anything near enough about most managers outside the PL, the reaction here is because it's not a name that the media told people is a good/ambitious one.

Like I said earlier in this thread, where was the underwhelming flimflam talk for Ole/Lampard/Arteta? This fudging guy has way more qualifications than any of those fudging pretenders.

And more importantly than any of that...HE’S CHEAP!

If he and the DOF are aligned it has to be a positive
We haven’t had everyone pulling in the right direction for some time
I remember when Everton wanted him and he turned them down I’d never really heard of him before

Will the Oxford Dictionary add "Spurs fans" to their definitions of gullible? Everyone believing the same old crap from the same old sources and throwing their toys out of the pram.

Thing is he could come in and be brilliant, he could equally be a complete flop.

Sometimes it clicks for a manager and sometimes it doesn't. We won't know until the new guy is appointed. Either way having a manager is better than not. Unless it's Tim Sherwood.

On a whim I just looked up Christian Gross' management stats. His career average win ratio is 56.67% - at Spurs it was 33%. Take us out and his win ratio is approaching 2 in 3 games. He's won trophies galore since he left us and we are the one blot on his copy book.

Some you win, some you lose, there's just no getting away from it.

Back