• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Sooooo Benitez is being mentioned now a lot in the press.

Assuming we're going for "established" rather than an up and comer for a moment, are there any managers out of work with a better record of winning trophies in England?

I have a feeling the style of football would be a sticking point as I recall he's into not conceding first and scoring second, but like the proverbial special one he's shown an aptitude for winning stuff wherever he's gone...

I'm going to ITK it a moment, and say that I reckon Levy's either trying to tempt Sir Alex out of retirement, by saying to him, "Alex, its only Tottenham", or he's trying to get the ghost of Bobby Robson to take over...you heard it here first.

Assuming we're going for "established" rather than an up and comer for a moment, are there any managers out of work with a better record of winning trophies in England?

I have a feeling the style of football would be a sticking point as I recall he's into not conceding first and scoring second, but like the proverbial special one he's shown an aptitude for winning stuff wherever he's gone...

I'm going to ITK it a moment, and say that I reckon Levy's either trying to tempt Sir Alex out of retirement, by saying to him, "Alex, its only Tottenham", or he's trying to get the ghost of Bobby Robson to take over...you heard it here first.

Thing is, if it was Benitez or Allegri, it would be wrapped up by now (as they are out of work)

We are seemingly looking at someone employed, and again the "profile" being touted doesn't match Benitez

I remember when hoddle got sacked and pleat took over. The evening standard did a list of all the managers we had been linked with in the media. There were 125 names on it. So i don't have much faith in the media.

Sure levy knows who he wants. If they were out of work they'd probably have been hired by now to secure european football. So i'm guessing it's someone in a job waiting till end of season or after the euros before joining.

Leg-Extension.gif

Steven Gerrard is good enough for Sir Alex Ferguson - so why not Spurs?

Gerrard has shown he can conjure order out of chaos and has the personality to give Kane reason to stay - managerless Tottenham take note

Unpacking Daniel Levy’s motives for choosing a manager is akin to wrestling with an impossibly scrambled Rubik’s Cube. Eventually, the search for a pattern drives you mad. Since a solitary League Cup triumph under Juande Ramos in 2008, the Tottenham chairman has entrusted his club’s impatient quest for silverware to Harry Redknapp, Andre Villas-Boas, Tim Sherwood, Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho. Try joining the philosophical dots between those five. It is the ultimate fool’s errand.

The suggestions that Levy seeks a coach with an attack-minded ethos to replace the conservative Mourinho might be more credible if Tottenham had some cohesive identity on which to build. Nothing expresses the club’s sense of drift quite like the fact that Graham Potter, one of their many targets, would prefer to stay at Brighton for stability. Or that Erik ten Hag would prefer to sign on for another season with Ajax. Or that Brendan Rodgers appears to believe he has a more auspicious career arc at Leicester.

As such, Tottenham’s shortlist conveys less a clear vision than a jumbled grab-bag of names, with everybody from freshly-relegated Scott Parker to 62-year-old Maurizio Sarri thrown into the mix. The longer this goes on, the more it begs a question that if the club cannot even commit to their own future, why should Harry Kane? And yet there is an answer, and it comes on a postcard from the south side of Glasgow.

His credentials come with no higher recommendation than that of Glenn Hoddle, voted in 2016 as the greatest player in Tottenham’s history and an astute judge of the shake-up the club needs. “Gerrard, I’ll put his name in there,” Hoddle said this week. “I don’t know if Steven can wait for Klopp to start hitting the ropes in a few years’ time to go to Liverpool. It doesn’t work like that sometimes.” There is some truth to this theory: after all, the experience at Chelsea of Frank Lampard, his erstwhile midfield partner in England’s golden generation, serves as an object lesson in why it is best not to covet your dream managerial appointment too soon.

Steven Gerrard is good enough for Sir Alex Ferguson - so why not Spurs?

Gerrard has shown he can conjure order out of chaos and has the personality to give Kane reason to stay - managerless Tottenham take note

Unpacking Daniel Levy’s motives for choosing a manager is akin to wrestling with an impossibly scrambled Rubik’s Cube. Eventually, the search for a pattern drives you mad. Since a solitary League Cup triumph under Juande Ramos in 2008, the Tottenham chairman has entrusted his club’s impatient quest for silverware to Harry Redknapp, Andre Villas-Boas, Tim Sherwood, Mauricio Pochettino and Jose Mourinho. Try joining the philosophical dots between those five. It is the ultimate fool’s errand.

The suggestions that Levy seeks a coach with an attack-minded ethos to replace the conservative Mourinho might be more credible if Tottenham had some cohesive identity on which to build. Nothing expresses the club’s sense of drift quite like the fact that Graham Potter, one of their many targets, would prefer to stay at Brighton for stability. Or that Erik ten Hag would prefer to sign on for another season with Ajax. Or that Brendan Rodgers appears to believe he has a more auspicious career arc at Leicester.

As such, Tottenham’s shortlist conveys less a clear vision than a jumbled grab-bag of names, with everybody from freshly-relegated Scott Parker to 62-year-old Maurizio Sarri thrown into the mix. The longer this goes on, the more it begs a question that if the club cannot even commit to their own future, why should Harry Kane? And yet there is an answer, and it comes on a postcard from the south side of Glasgow.

His credentials come with no higher recommendation than that of Glenn Hoddle, voted in 2016 as the greatest player in Tottenham’s history and an astute judge of the shake-up the club needs. “Gerrard, I’ll put his name in there,” Hoddle said this week. “I don’t know if Steven can wait for Klopp to start hitting the ropes in a few years’ time to go to Liverpool. It doesn’t work like that sometimes.” There is some truth to this theory: after all, the experience at Chelsea of Frank Lampard, his erstwhile midfield partner in England’s golden generation, serves as an object lesson in why it is best not to covet your dream managerial appointment too soon.

The only reason our "shortlist conveys less a clear vision than a jumbled grab-bag of names" is because the media just throw up the name of any and every manager that it might be vaguely feasible to link us with, and then claim they are on Levy's list.

The only reason our "shortlist conveys less a clear vision than a jumbled grab-bag of names" is because the media just throw up the name of any and every manager that it might be vaguely feasible to link us with, and then claim they are on Levy's list.

Still a little bit concerning that we don’t even appear to be a sure thing for Graham Potter...

Thing is, if it was Benitez or Allegri, it would be wrapped up by now (as they are out of work)

We are seemingly looking at someone employed, and again the "profile" being touted doesn't match Benitez

100%. It's pretty clear that the preferred candidates are currently in work, otherwise we probably would have had an appointment by now. I think that it is likely that Rodgers and Potter are the leading candidates.

What would you like Potter to say? "I've love to move to Spurs...would be great if they offered me the job"? Wouldnt go down well if he didnt get offered it....!

I’m world weary enough to know you can’t believe everything you read. I’m more interested the story behind the story, who is briefing you, what each side is looking to get out of the spin.

Potter is saying exactly what you would expect of a guy in his position. As is Rodgers. But I would just say usually there is some story somewhere of stories saying something like ‘Potter has publicly insisted he is happy at the Amex, although sources close to his camp suggest he may be more amiable to an approach once Brighton’s safety is secured’. Instead we haven’t really heard that, we have just heard that Spurs might be changing strategy.

There just isn’t a lot of confidence coming the Spurs side. Maybe that’s deliberate. I will say, if we manage to get Rodgers I will be very impressed with ENIC and have a lot more confidence in their vision. Not that I think Rodgers is the second coming at all, but more what it says about him leaving a CL club because we are still seen as a more viable long term bet.

Equally I’ll be a little worried if we hire someone more underwhelming. Not because they will fail, but because of what it says about our standing in the game, when this should be an amazing job for someone without too many question marks.

I’m world weary enough to know you can’t believe everything you read. I’m more interested the story behind the story, who is briefing you, what each side is looking to get out of the spin.

Potter is saying exactly what you would expect of a guy in his position. As is Rodgers. But I would just say usually there is some story somewhere of stories saying something like ‘Potter has publicly insisted he is happy at the Amex, although sources close to his camp suggest he may be more amiable to an approach once Brighton’s safety is secured’. Instead we haven’t really heard that, we have just heard that Spurs might be changing strategy.

There just isn’t a lot of confidence coming the Spurs side. Maybe that’s deliberate. I will say, if we manage to get Rodgers I will be very impressed with ENIC and have a lot more confidence in their vision. Not that I think Rodgers is the second coming at all, but more what it says about him leaving a CL club because we are still seen as a more viable long term bet.

Equally I’ll be a little worried if we hire someone more underwhelming. Not because they will fail, but because of what it says about our standing in the game, when this should be an amazing job for someone without too many question marks.

Liked your post and broadly agree with it. In terms of the silence from Spurs, I think the club has become less leak-y than before and with this appointment, I didnt expect anything to come out of the club early given it is/was an open field.

That said, I'm expecting to start to hear which way its going in the next say 5-7 days as we make an approach to our preferred target and someone, somewhere leaks it. I think we'll have a manager appointed by the time we play Leicester, and there will be a small lag between our approach and it being finalised....but it becoming common knowledge in that period as to what is happening.

I 1000% share your view on the final para. If we appoint a Martinez, Parker or Southgate, it'll be very worrying about what it says about our ability to attract people

Back