• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

MS one note is good. Standard install on most laptops. Insert the meeting details, take notes and circulate easily. Create actions etc is also easy. That and a notepad with essential to do lists, keeps me on top of projects.
It's excellent. I use it all the time. The search feature on it is very good too if you take copious amounts of notes as I do.

Has anyone used the Vivaldi browser?

if you are on macOS/iPadOS/iOS already, the latest versions of Apple Reminders and Notes are very good, I used to use Omnifocus and do the whole GTD thing but those two apps match enough features now for my simplified version of it, also the syncing is rock solid and the Home Screen widgets work perfectly (which hasn't been my experience with 3rd party apps)

Ok so have formally accepted the role now discussions need to happen to shift me over.

Now, question, i need to be MASSIVELY organised for this new job. Any suggestions on how to do this? for example, i need to really improve my note taking and to do lists etc, but i aint the best at that.

considering using an iPad for work in meetings and to take notes etc potentially. any tips to be more organised on managing multiple things?

Congratulations on the new role! Hope it all works out well for you.

I started a new job towards the end of 2020 and vowed I would be more disciplined and organised. It has helped that things are nowhere near as busy as at my old place, but a few things that work for me (more how I do things rather than specific software - I'm a bit old-school in my methods I'm afraid) :

Email : I was previously terrible at email housekeeping and my inbox had literally thousands of messages as I never got around to either deleting or filing on a regular basis. The more it builds up, the more of a task it is to deal with and the more time is wasted trying to find a particular old email.
I have now set myself a limit of no more than 30 emails left in my inbox at the end of each day. Sometimes it tips over but by end of Friday it's back to under 30. Either deal with and delete/file, or move to a folder and if it needs you to do something with it, add that task to your To Do list, so it's not 'out of sight, out of mind'. If there's a lot of back and forth on the same trail, delete the last mail when the new one comes in.
If your new job is sufficiently detached from your current role, archive everything you currently have and start with a totally clean slate.
This might be a non-issue for you and probably reflects more on my disorganisation, but I have found it to be a good discipline.

To Do List : Essential for me (partly because of the above). I have a separate A5 notebook where on a Friday I make a To Do list for the week ahead. (Having a written list that is open alongside my laptop works better for me than using Tasks, Notes or something like that). I find there's no point doing lists per day, as things change too much and it's just disheartening when you haven't achieved anything. Friday afternoon, compile next week's list and anything that hasn't been ticked off gets moved to next week's list. By the time I've carried the same item over three or four times, it's easier just to deal with it.

Note-taking : written for me, so no useful tips here. I'm a very fast typer under normal circumstances but typing in meetings just doesn't work for me. (Also less likely that someone who couldn't be bothered taking their own notes asks you to forward yours, which you then have to spend time tidying up/expanding so they're understandable for others).

Admin Time : This is key for me : I have two hours blocked out in my calendar every Friday afternoon for admin (don't always need that much time but it's good to keep blocked out). Fridays seem to be the quiet day, even when the US starts up. Emails, to do lists, updating internal project systems etc. If you can't switch off messaging, change your status to show you as in a meeting so there's less chance of getting disturbed. If you're back in the office, put your headset on to indicate you're not available for interruption.

The hardest part is finding the system that works for you and having the discipline to stick with it. Good luck!

Congratulations on the new role! Hope it all works out well for you.

I started a new job towards the end of 2020 and vowed I would be more disciplined and organised. It has helped that things are nowhere near as busy as at my old place, but a few things that work for me (more how I do things rather than specific software - I'm a bit old-school in my methods I'm afraid) :

Email : I was previously terrible at email housekeeping and my inbox had non-figuratively thousands of messages as I never got around to either deleting or filing on a regular basis. The more it builds up, the more of a task it is to deal with and the more time is wasted trying to find a particular old email.
I have now set myself a limit of no more than 30 emails left in my inbox at the end of each day. Sometimes it tips over but by end of Friday it's back to under 30. Either deal with and delete/file, or move to a folder and if it needs you to do something with it, add that task to your To Do list, so it's not 'out of sight, out of mind'. If there's a lot of back and forth on the same trail, delete the last mail when the new one comes in.
If your new job is sufficiently detached from your current role, archive everything you currently have and start with a totally clean slate.
This might be a non-issue for you and probably reflects more on my disorganisation, but I have found it to be a good discipline.

To Do List : Essential for me (partly because of the above). I have a separate A5 notebook where on a Friday I make a To Do list for the week ahead. (Having a written list that is open alongside my laptop works better for me than using Tasks, Notes or something like that). I find there's no point doing lists per day, as things change too much and it's just disheartening when you haven't achieved anything. Friday afternoon, compile next week's list and anything that hasn't been ticked off gets moved to next week's list. By the time I've carried the same item over three or four times, it's easier just to deal with it.

Note-taking : written for me, so no useful tips here. I'm a very fast typer under normal circumstances but typing in meetings just doesn't work for me. (Also less likely that someone who couldn't be bothered taking their own notes asks you to forward yours, which you then have to spend time tidying up/expanding so they're understandable for others).

Admin Time : This is key for me : I have two hours blocked out in my calendar every Friday afternoon for admin (don't always need that much time but it's good to keep blocked out). Fridays seem to be the quiet day, even when the US starts up. Emails, to do lists, updating internal project systems etc. If you can't switch off messaging, change your status to show you as in a meeting so there's less chance of getting disturbed. If you're back in the office, put your headset on to indicate you're not available for interruption.

The hardest part is finding the system that works for you and having the discipline to stick with it. Good luck!

really appreciate this write up and some really good tips.

giphy.gif

not sure what's happened, but had some pretty bad stomach cramps, almost feels like food poisoining but not actually been sick or anything. been a miserable day and a half so far.

out of curiosity, anyone had something similar recently? my friend in the US said he had the same yesterday as did some neighbours and friends, wonder if something going around.

Went to the pub for a meal and pints with four mates. First time I’ve eaten out with anyone but family since January 2019.

And it was great. Even if one is a Gooner, another is a Scouser and one supports Wet Spam.
I did that the other weekend
Didnt have the meal though as the next place had better food... 4 pubs later still no food
Got a cab home and I apparently did a commando roll out of the cab into a bush and threw up
Then once home I got up the stairs inky to fall down them twice
My wife’s friends who were in the garden heard the noise and panicked. Two of them came in and whilst laughing at the state of me crumbled up at the bottom of the stairs proceeded to drag me up to my bedroom (they missed a great photo opp there). Woke up next morning right as rain..,, hit me at about 8pm
Checked in with my mates and we drank 14 pints in 7 hours so a good pace and we were all broken

Look at the screenshots, rather than the 22 messages listing the various genders...
Which right-on intern was put in charge of a train company's social media account?

Hope some train driver is not about to get sacked or put on a disciplinary because of someone's not-really-hurt feelings.

This is whats wrong with the world. The new generation making new genders and sexes left right and centre and we are supposed to abide by it what a load of fudging nonsense, i really do worry about the world my kids are growing up in.

I did that the other weekend
Didnt have the meal though as the next place had better food... 4 pubs later still no food
Got a cab home and I apparently did a commando roll out of the cab into a bush and threw up
Then once home I got up the stairs inky to fall down them twice
My wife’s friends who were in the garden heard the noise and panicked. Two of them came in and whilst laughing at the state of me crumbled up at the bottom of the stairs proceeded to drag me up to my bedroom (they missed a great photo opp there). Woke up next morning right as rain..,, hit me at about 8pm
Checked in with my mates and we drank 14 pints in 7 hours so a good pace and we were all broken

A taste of normality is good. And we all have a lot of making up to do.

This is whats wrong with the world. The new generation making new genders and sexes left right and centre and we are supposed to abide by it what a load of fudging nonsense, i really do worry about the world my kids are growing up in.
I did to the missus
And also to my shins.., they were battered from the stairs

Had a few beers with a mate last weekend too. Can't remember the last time I went to the pub. Awesome to finally go out and have a laugh again.

The usual routine. Went to work. Got back home.

Right now I'm sitting on my balcony drinking a beer in the sun, listening to some Dio. It's the most awesome experience since forever. I badly need a proper summer now.

My job search has picked up some momentum the past couple of weeks
Have found in my area the market has picked up hugely the past 3 weeks and I'm finding great jobs to look at every day

I applied last Friday for what I would say is pretty much my perfect job, had a call from the Inhouse Recruiter who was very positive about my application
The hiring manager liked my CV but asked for some words on my experience around this role
I went through the Job Spec and line by line I referenced it to the work I had done in my current role
The HR woman just messaged me saying how impressed the hiring manager was with what I had done and was keen to speak

For me it's perfect because I've basically had my interview in written format where I could really think about it and give good responses and lots of examples of successes in my role

I've also started to tailor my CV for each role I apply for

I went for another great role today which I would be able to do standing on my head. Also with this one my ex boss who I got on so well with is very good mates with the overall person in charge and he said he will ring him tonight and put in a good word for me

Don't want to get too excited but I have a good feeling that I'll get offered more than one job and will have a choice

and all this on the same day Poch might be coming back !!!

Magic

went to Go Ape today! bloody hell, forgot how difficult it is (we did the most challenging option!)

lot of fun but christ it was difficult

Back