• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino

PSG are going to offer the manager's post to Zinedine Zidane, who will leave Real Madrid after this season, regardless of whether they win the title.

Poch will be a free man in Paris, he'll be unfettered and alive, he'll call Daniel Levy for favours and have his future to decide, you know he'll come back here tomorrow to resume work he's taken on, stoking the star-making machinery behind Dele, Kane and Son.

love Poch, never should have got rid.

What i will say is that i dont think his methods translate well at big clubs with established marquee names. People talking about Bielsa at Spurs for example. You need young, hungry players.

You think you can bowl into PSG and ask Neymar for double training session? won't translate well. Needs a large youth contingent to make it work, which is why we were so strong under him. Once those players aged, got tired of his methods, needed a painful rebuild to go again.

Shame.

The issue is, how sustainable is that model? Every 3-5 years you have to ship our half of your team cause they're emotional and physically spent and start all over again, hoping the new additions hit the ground running.

If you reach a high performance point like we did, how do you sustain that, especially if you don't actually win any silverware.

Poch needs to find a way to solve that conundrum

love Poch, never should have got rid.

What i will say is that i dont think his methods translate well at big clubs with established marquee names. People talking about Bielsa at Spurs for example. You need young, hungry players.

You think you can bowl into PSG and ask Neymar for double training session? won't translate well. Needs a large youth contingent to make it work, which is why we were so strong under him. Once those players aged, got tired of his methods, needed a painful rebuild to go again.

Shame.

Brilliant post and totally agree.

The issue is, how sustainable is that model? Every 3-5 years you have to ship our half of your team cause they're emotional and physically spent and start all over again, hoping the new additions hit the ground running.

If you reach a high performance point like we did, how do you sustain that, especially if you don't actually win any silverware.

I think if you continually add 2 youth players a season into the squad while letting older players leave or the ones who have not quite made it.

It's my favourite way for the team and club to play BUT this is a problem emerging imo with teams that play to a certain system and culture. (e Even Klopp at the moment)

I think you do have to keep the churn going..fresh eyes, ears ,legs ...at least 2 first teamers a season swapped out. Plus a by product might be you get decent money when they're sold at their perceived peak.More to re-invest.

Yeah, if you continually add 1 to 2 players of a first team level to the squad each simmer then in theory the need for a refresh is rendered obselete?

Our issue was we got the team to such a level that with the lack of funds it was always going to be hard to find that quality of player without first selling one of the first XI - ideally you should be able to bring players in first, see how they settle/fare and then think about moving on the other, rinse and repeat

You're still dependant on those incomings hitting the ground running I guess. Take Liverpool they bought Kieta, Minamino, Jota, Thiago and about 50 defenders and their form has still fallen off a cliff and was doing last season as well.

So you don't just need incomings but that Bayern Munich model of incoming where the player has already been doing it at a high level for a period of time, but is young enough to still be hungry. Tough to find.

Or, in the refresh process do you accept that the players brought in will take 2 seasons maybe to the level of the players they are replacing and therefore accept a decline in team performance for a period of time?

Liverpool are now in the position where their team is ageing and it looks like the front free will be broken up. Van Dyke and Matip are 29, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Thiago 30, Milner 35, Mane and Firmino are 29, Slah about to turn 29.

Klopp had squeezed everything out of these players as Poch did, but what now?

You're still dependant on those incomings hitting the ground running I guess. Take Liverpool they bought Kieta, Minamino, Jota, Thiago and about 50 defenders and their form has still fallen off a cliff and was doing last season as well.

So you don't just need incomings but that Bayern Munich model of incoming where the player has already been doing it at a high level for a period of time, but is young enough to still be hungry. Tough to find.

Or, in the refresh process do you accept that the players brought in will take 2 seasons maybe to the level of the players they are replacing and therefore accept a decline in team performance for a period of time?

Liverpool are now in the position where their team is ageing and it looks like the front free will be broken up. Van Dyke and Matip are 29, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Thiago 30, Milner 35, Mane and Firmino are 29, Slah about to turn 29.

Oblivion hopefully.

you need to give them the chance though, if we rotate players in for freshness thats the point, relative performance to others in the squad isn't as important as the minutes played, I think in the past we have been too quick to judge some players and then overplayed their alternatives

I think if you continually add 2 youth players a season into the squad while letting older players leave or the ones who have not quite made it.

the problem is if the older players are WC almost unreplaceable (e.g. with us Eriksen & Kane). A squad that wants to win something has to have players in their prime, it can't always be kids

the other problem is if you need to change 2-3 players a season, you need to integrate them a hell of a lot faster than Poch historically has been able to.

the problem is if the older players are WC almost unreplaceable (e.g. with us Eriksen & Kane). A squad that wants to win something has to have players in their prime, it can't always be kids

the other problem is if you need to change 2-3 players a season, you need to integrate them a hell of a lot faster than Poch historically has been able to.

Again look at Liverpool. Tried to spruce up the front three with Minamino but the drop in quality was too great to justify him playing even on a rotation basis. Same with Kieta, came with a big reputation but didn't deliver. Milner is still getting regular minutes. We didn't buy they have and have still encountered the same issues.

Unless you're City in cheat mode with 2 players for each position that offer almost no drop of in quality, it's pretty hard to sustain performance levels.

I think typically the 'good' players were integrated quickly....

Alderweireld, Wanyama, Dele, Trippier even Dier and Sanchez for example. The problem comes when the level of replacements are a very, very pale shadow of the the first team player they would play instead of (Sissoko, NKoudou, Janssen, NJie for example). Of course though the big problem was that 3 transfer windows without a single addition meant we were probably 4 first team players short when it came to 19/20 . We then probably needed to get 6 players to make up for that inactivity but instead got only 3 first team players, two of which arrived injured and the other one blatantly unfit. Fingers crossed we have learnt from our mistake back then.

I think the intergration thing is overplayed - plenty of signings slotted in straight away, the problem was a lot of signings were also punts to fill out the squad that just weren't good enough at the end of the day - i think that has to be factored in

You don't replace the whole squad at once. Replace 4 players every year, and you have basically a new squad every 5 years.

Back