• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

So if man utd dropped their ticket prices you'd go to watch them instead of spurs?

no, but I'd complain about them being overpriced to comparable products on the market

relative price does affect my purchase decisions

if market forces don't influence football fans why is there a 3pm Saturday tv blackout still?

no, but I'd complain about them being overpriced to comparable products on the market

relative price does affect my purchase decisions

if market forces don't influence football fans why is there a 3pm Saturday tv blackout still?

Market forces dictate the price of the ticket in the uk. Supply and demand. If people stopped going they'd lower prices. Germany have the 50 plus 1 rule so fans have huge influence on the price of tickets.

The 15:00 blackout is to protect the smaller teams. It was often the case that when spurs played away fans would go and watch barnet. Arsenal fans would do the same when they were away.

If you want a foil hat perspective, City & Chelsea don't benefit from ESL (same as Bayern in Germany) and potentially get disadvantaged by it, look at the above with that in mind.
That's not tin foil hat...that's just thinking it thru to a logical conclusion.

I'd actually add us into that group as well.

That's not tin foil hat...that's just thinking it thru to a logical conclusion.

I'd actually add us into that group as well.

I actually think we'd 'benefit' more than anyone, Arsenal too i suppose, injection of cash + a wage and transfer cap that'd make all things equal - the clubs used to outspending would be the ones who suffer by way of losing their advantage

I actually think we'd 'benefit' more than anyone, Arsenal too i suppose, injection of cash + a wage and transfer cap that'd make all things equal - the clubs used to outspending would be the ones who suffer by way of losing their advantage
I suspect the caps would be about as successful as the ones operated by the PL and UEFA.... Likely turnover based with clubs still being free to make in-house sponsorship deals.

Short term yes. But it will only be a matter of time before the biggest teams demand a bigger cut as they bring in the most viewers. If they charge £5 to watch a game, how many viewers would they get around the world compared to us? 5 times as many? More? What happens then?

I suspect the caps would be about as successful as the ones operated by the PL and UEFA.... Likely turnover based with clubs still being free to make in-house sponsorship deals.

My guess is the clubs involved want the caps in place as they want revenue going in to their pockets rather than the players - dunno how the NFL works but do clubs there use up all their income or do the owners get to tske profits out each year as there is a wage cap and no transfer fees to consider?

Short term yes. But it will only be a matter of time before the biggest teams demand a bigger cut as they bring in the most viewers. If they charge £5 to watch a game, how many viewers would they get around the world compared to us? 5 times as many? More? What happens then?

I think TV viewers don't care for the clubs as much as they do the team or the players - world wide tv audiences want to watch the best teams with the best players, if Tottenham in the ESL at one point are that team then they will be the ones being watched most - the next year it may be another side

My guess is the clubs involved want the caps in place as they want revenue going in to their pockets rather than the players - dunno how the NFL works but do clubs there use up all their income or do the owners get to tske profits out each year as there is a wage cap and no transfer fees to consider?
I agree. I just think it would’ve been capped on % of turnover (so still allowing City to pump in money to ensure they win).

I think TV viewers don't care for the clubs as much as they do the team or the players - world wide tv audiences want to watch the best teams with the best players, if Tottenham in the ESL at one point are that team then they will be the ones being watched most - the next year it may be another side

If that was the case then city should be getting more world wide viewers than utd. They don't. Utd also have 73million followers on facebook compared to 37 million for city. We have 11 million.

If that was the case then city should be getting more world wide viewers than utd. They don't. Utd also have 73million followers on facebook compared to 37 million for city. We have 11 million.
Give it another 5 years and Emirates Marketing Project will probably have closed that by half. Another 10 and they’ll be level pegging.

I'd be interested to see what the viewing figures are for CL games involving both, world wide

The ESL would make a load of rich fish and put them all in the same pond. That's why the current setup is better for City and Chelsea (and found it t easy to U-turn). They are already the rich fish with bottom less pits, why welcome more rich fish.

The reason I say the current system is better for us is we've spent 20 years with a masterplan to differentiate ourselves in the way we are run and widely diversify our income streams (with more to come), so pitch success is not the be all and end all that it is for every club. It means we can absorb the shocks of poor transfers and bad seasons and still be competitive. That strategy, when fulfilled, will put us beyond most other clubs. (Basically like Cityand Chelsea without doping).

A ESL would in many ways undo that vision, that edge, we are a long way to gaining by surrounding ourselves with other bullet proof moneyed clubs (half of whom, are on the brink of financial hardship).

Give it another 5 years and Emirates Marketing Project will probably have closed that by half. Another 10 and they’ll be level pegging.

Was talking about the esl. If they charge fans £5 to watch a game online. Utd, madrid and barca would get far more viewers than us. If they demand more of the tv revenue (which they will, they always do) how the hell would we catch up? We'd just be making up the numbers without even relegation to play for. Doesn't sound like fun to me.

Market forces dictate the price of the ticket in the uk. Supply and demand. If people stopped going they'd lower prices. Germany have the 50 plus 1 rule so fans have huge influence on the price of tickets.

The 15:00 blackout is to protect the smaller teams. It was often the case that when spurs played away fans would go and watch barnet. Arsenal fans would do the same when they were away.
Barnet's average attendance has never been more than a couple of thousand so it could hardly have been that many.

I went when they were at Underhill - but not more than a dozen times in total over several decades.

Back