• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer rumours - summer 2021 edition

I do wish that people wouldn't make stuff up and post it as fact....

Boateng, played 37 games in total for Bayern this season and 38 last season. If we compare to our current crop of centre halves then we have:
Dier - 37 and 30
Sanchez - 31 and 39
Alderweireld - 22 and 33
Rodon - 13 and 21

So Boateng has played more games for Bayern Munich than any of our centre backs have played over the most recent two seasons

Now onto his injuries.... Boateng's last hamstring injury was 4 seasons back (he missed 42 days and 5 games with that injury).
If we look at the last 3 seasons then Boateng was out for a total of only 48 days in those 3 seasons. Those 48 days out injured resulted in him missing a grand total of only 7 games. This season he missed just 1 game, last season only 2 games (and one of those was ill instead of with an injury).

Let's again compare that to our centre backs, their last 3 season injury record is as follows:

Dier - 138 days (28 games missed)
Sanchez - 81 days (15 games missed)
Toby - 143 days (33 games missed)
Rodon - 164 days (31 games missed)

So the facts are that Jerome Boateng has actually been far less injury prone than any of our centre backs over the past 3 years.

If we want an old rolls royce CB to replace Vertonghen, I'd rather just bring Vertonghen back.

Some people really haven't grasped the reality of the Covid situation.

I can't see there being any permanent transfers at all this year. Everyone will be desperate to offload a few high earners, but the players will sit tight, as they won't get anywhere near the wages if they drop down the food chain at this point in time. Everything is going to be loans and part-funded salary offloads. And all down the food chain, not up it. And globally, not just for us.

We have to work within our means, this isnt Football Manager with the sugar daddy cheat on unfortunately.

What is your alternative suggestion in full? Post your full squad, who comes in, who goes but remember the context.

When I get home about 8 tonight I will mate. I would be happy for our transfer dealings to break even. A lot would depend 9n who comes up from the championship. Clubs that don't come up could do business they would otherwise not do.

Olise might be available as Reading miss out. So one of Sarr at Watford or Brooks at Bournemouth would be sound business. They have both played in the premiership before as well.

I can't see there being any permanent transfers at all this year. Everyone will be desperate to offload a few high earners, but the players will sit tight, as they won't get anywhere near the wages if they drop down the food chain at this point in time. Everything is going to be loans and part-funded salary offloads. And all down the food chain, not up it. And globally, not just for us.

We will suddenly have Danny Rose's wage to offer a new signing.

We will suddenly have Danny Rose's wage to offer a new signing.

And Bale's, Mourinho's and Carter-Vickers'.

The issue is still though whether Madrid/Barca/Bayern/Juve/PSG's deadwood would drop wages to that level, or just sit it out where they are until post-Covid revenue starts filtering through again one day.

I disagree with you in part here. Yes clubs are extremely cash poor due to covid but their turnovers should spring back up pretty quickly as fans return to the stadium. I think that this will mean that player wages will not be impacted other than in the French league where the collapse of the TV deal will mean all clubs that aren't bankrolled by their owner will need to lower their wage bill.

I think the usual level of wages will be on offer but transfer fees will indeed be =depressed due to clubs in general being cash poor. Even then I think some of the ambitious owners are likely to inject liquidity to take advantage of the depressed market. I can see the likes of Leicester, Aston Villa, Everton and Leeds all doing this.

If we want an old rolls royce CB to replace Vertonghen, I'd rather just bring Vertonghen back.
Because Boateng is a better player, a year and a half younger and still playing at a better level than Vertonghen?..... Not to mention the fact that Boateng is out of contract whereas Vertonghen still has 2 years left on his deal at Benfica.

Finishing 4th and getting to a CL final is massively overachieving compared to the financial resources our managers get. 6th to 8th is a par finish when considering wages and transfer money.

If you can show me another manager who can get 4th place and a CL final on the 6th biggest wage bill and 12th biggest transfer budget in their own domestic league while being forced to go 3 transfer windows without a single signing then I'll show you a genius who we should be going all out to get in as manager....
And yet that same manager might finish 2nd in what should be a one horse race whilst losing a CL semi-final despite having the most expensive attack ever assembled at his disposal… it’s a funny old game…

upload_2021-5-11_14-59-33.jpeg

We have to work within our means, this isnt Football Manager with the sugar daddy cheat on unfortunately.

What is your alternative suggestion in full? Post your full squad, who comes in, who goes but remember the context.
Two CBs and a CM have to be the priority.... Who we can afford/attract will depend on what budget we have of course. If we can sell release the following players:

Gazaniga (£2m?)
Rose (0)
Carter Vickers (£2m?
Foyth (£6m?)
Dier (£10m?)
Sanchez (£10m?)
Davies (£8m?)
Doherty (£6m?)
Winks (£15m?)
Lamela (£7m?)
Sissoko (£5m?)
Bale (0)
Vinicius (0)

Those transfer fees are probably actually lower than we could achieve in most cases I think. Adds up to about £70m. We're probably also removing about £40m from the annual wage bill

1. GK. Lloris
2. GK. Livakovic (£10m)
3. GK. Hart
4. RB. Hysaj (free transfer) (Or Tete from Fulham (£12m) If we have some transfer funds before sales)
5. RB. Aurier
6. RB/CB. Tanganga
7. CB. Boateng/Schar (free transfer) (Or Ginter/Milenkovic (£25m) if we have some transfer funds before sales)
8. CB. Elvedi (£25m)
9. CB. Alderweireld
10. CB. Rodon
11. LB. Regulion
12. LB. Sessegnon
13. CM. Soumare (£30m)
14. CM. Hojbjerg
15. CM. Skipp
16. CM/AM. Lo Celso
17, CM/AM. Ndombele
18. CM/AM. Dele
19. AM/WF. Olise (£8m) / Pereira from WBA (£17m) (depending on funds)
20. WF. Moura
21. WF. Son
22. WF. Bergwijn
23. CF. Kane
24. CF. Marega (free transfer)

Wage bill would be similar to that of this season (perhaps a little higher if we took Boateng on a free).

Worst case on the above (assuming the most expensive option for each position) is £50m net outlay. Best case taking the cheaper/free options is pretty much break even.

Olise would be an opportunistic signing that we should be making now as we he'll be out of our range in a year or two. I'd love to get him and Pereira as that would set us up to be able to sell one of our other attacking players in the same or a later transfer window.

Additionally if good bids came in for either of Moura or Lo Celso then I think we should probably take them (especially if it helped fund some of those above).

Scrap List for me please:

Lloris
Aurier
DIER
Sanchez
Davies
Sissoko
Lamela
GLC
Winks

I know some will say to keep these players ... but the way i see it ... none of them would make it into any top 4 teams.

He would be a better partner for Hojbjerg than anyone at the club currently IMO but I would like to do better still.

Depending on how cash strapped we are though picking any two of the three of Hojbjerg, Skipp and Berge would give us a decent midfield platform to attack from.

I think that we are quite well stocked in CM with Skipp returning but that probably depends on how the new manager wants to use Lo Celso and Ndombele and how we line up. We know that we were interested in Berge before he joined Sheff Utd and I wonder if we might be tempted if the price is low. We could probably flip him for a profit in a year, if it didn't work out, that will appeal to Levy.

Back