• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

If I was a candidate the only way I would consider Spurs would be with a DOF (that I knew I'd be happy to work with) and a guarantee of some backing this summer from Levy.
It's gonna take some serious signings, CBs , RB and ball playing CMs to get this team back on track, whether it's Poch or anyone else

I'm sure all potential managers will ask the £££ question, and given that our star has fallen somewhat over the last couple years as well as our search being portrayed as difficult, any manager will want more reassurances than a couple years ago. I don't see a new manager being able to dictate a DOF though unless its a really big name coming in, which is very unlikely

I still maintain that us employing a system and having a well-honed way of playing will give our performances a big boost - Villa, West Ham, Brighton, Leicester are all very well-drilled at the moment and show how much results can improve to a level greater than the sum-of-the-parts of the players if there is a well-understood system. CBs and RBs though are a clear weak point though regardless of system

I'm sure all potential managers will ask the £££ question, and given that our star has fallen somewhat over the last couple years as well as our search being portrayed as difficult, any manager will want more reassurances than a couple years ago. I don't see a new manager being able to dictate a DOF though unless its a really big name coming in, which is very unlikely

I still maintain that us employing a system and having a well-honed way of playing will give our performances a big boost - Villa, West Ham, Brighton, Leicester are all very well-drilled at the moment and show how much results can improve to a level greater than the sum-of-the-parts of the players if there is a well-understood system. CBs and RBs though are a clear weak point though regardless of system

first point is as I said above, if Potter/Parker are offered the job they will have very little leverage (take it or leave it) as it is a stretch for them

second point I completely agree with, too many times we have fallen into the individual brilliance model, Leeds as example made us look bad due to coaching/system.

I think Poch coming back to us would be very bad for both us and him.
Let him prove himself at a higher level and us prove we can act at a higher level before even entertaining the thought

Moving on players who for various reasons didn't want to be here would have kept poch happy.
Now that only a couple of them are left, one is marginalised and the other is at the end of his career I can see poch being quite happy to come back, and most of the players happy to have him.
Don’t think it will happen, but it is lined up for him if he wants it.

It never happened, probably due to not signing anyone for 18 months and then sacking him after making 3 signings when 2 of them were injured and one of them was adapting to PL pace. I’d understand people offering up the idea that he may not have been the one to take us to the next level because results were dropping, if it didn’t coincide with a lack of signings - and outgoings - for 18 months, and if he hadn’t called for us to buy better furniture as a club a year or more before he was sacked. He was absolutely a guy capable of taking us on further.

And frankly if anyone of our squad decided they didn’t want him back, they can tinkle off. Same players that brief that Poch’s training sessions are too hard, and Jose’s sessions are too easy. We need to get back to backing the manager, whoever it may be, and not trying to please half a squad at a time because they don’t like what their boss is asking them to do.

I agree with GB. I think Poch is an emotional guy, and one of his strengths is in harnessing that trait to inspire a feeling that his club is an amazing place to be. I think we really fudged up when some players decided Spurs wasn’t for them anymore, making Poch’s ability to create a spirit more difficult than it had ever been. Levy as his manager should have harnessed that IMO, because short of ENIC investing more, our only choice is to compete by having a better spirit. Wrong call made, because we assumed this was a top 4 squad minimum when actually a lot of what got us there in the first place was the culture he created.

I think if Poch was genuinely backed in terms of decision making around who goes, and gets decent backing for who arrives, I think that’s our best chance emerging from the horror of the last 2 years and getting back on an upward trajectory. It’s definite fanfic for me, but I just won’t ever shake the feeling that letting him go (or not making him feel that he was our guy no matter what) was one of the worst decisions Levy has ever made.

I think Levy/ENIC often didn't 'step-up' in terms of 'being brave', 'acting like a big club' at the right times, However, Poch wasn't blameless in some of the things that went wrong; for example it was HE who pushed for us to sign Janssen and then underused him when he didn't need to (see games where Kane had already bagged early hatricks etc and he didn't give Janssen and others gametime when the games had been won).
I also think he was incredibly naive in his dealings with Levy/ENIC: him signing that contract extension in 2018 BEFORE seeing how Levy/ENIC would operate in the market after him publicly telling them to change their ways was probably one of his most stupid moves with us and was likely the catalyst for the likes of Eriksen thinking about not staying (broken promises, all talk but same old etc).

Poch coming back wont really change much imo and he really needs to steer clear of us (and atm us him)

first point is as I said above, if Potter/Parker are offered the job they will have very little leverage (take it or leave it) as it is a stretch for them

second point I completely agree with, too many times we have fallen into the individual brilliance model, Leeds as example made us look bad due to coaching/system.

I dont disagree with the point about Parker/Potter - as I said though, it will be something which they'll wnat to understand and, whether or not they have much leverage, it'll influence how interested there are in the role. I dont think Parker will realistically come into conversations (we'll hire a manager who is getting relegated? Really?) and for Potter, its not inconceviable that people see Spurs as too much of a ***t-show that he waits for the next opportunity. All managers will want to understand the cash, and Kane, situations

I thought it was a mistake to sack Poch when we did ( i would have left him in charge till the end of the season and see if it improved).

Having said that i think it would be another mistake to take him back at the end of the season.

From the man usually in the know. Hopefully we end up in a good place, and hats off to the club for really keeping info pretty darn tight. Alasdair Gold knows far more than most, and it appears that he doesn't know too much on Derp

PS First time I've seen Poch's name come up!!!

Interesting. Seems like it’s Rodgers, Potter. Martinez, Parker, Poch.

Poch being a long shot, but they’re probably open to seeing how he is treated at the end of the season. Parker will have a chance to impress but if relegated, difficult to see.

Gold just copying and pasting his previous weeks article then...!

I think to be fair to him he at least knows the line that Spurs want out there. I’m open to the idea his saying ‘The club are keeping their cards close to their chest’ is a way of saying it might not be anyone he has mentioned, but the 5 he has in play are the most realistic. The only real surprise would be Rangnick out of nowhere or ETH coming back into the mix.

Interesting. Seems like it’s Rodgers, Potter. Martinez, Parker, Poch.

Poch being a long shot, but they’re probably open to seeing how he is treated at the end of the season. Parker will have a chance to impress but if relegated, difficult to see.

I read it more as: Rodgers and Potters, plus will have to see whether Poch becomes free or not.

The tone of the comments about Parker and Martinez felt to me like they sufficiently caveated that they were in effect ruled out

If its Rodgers I can see us becoming a top 4 team again possibly more.

With Potter I see us more becoming a team that ends between 5th to 7th.

I read it more as: Rodgers and Potters, plus will have to see whether Poch becomes free or not.

The tone of the comments about Parker and Martinez felt to me like they sufficiently caveated that they were in effect ruled out

Don’t get me wrong, I think Martinez and Parker are if for some reason we can’t get Potter. But I read ‘has his admirers at Spurs’ to be journo speak for ‘I’ve been briefed that he’s being considered, although lower down the list’

If its Rodgers I can see us becoming a top 4 team again possibly more.

With Potter I see us more becoming a team that ends between 5th to 7th.

I wouldn’t necessarily think of it like that. No reason why Potter can’t do as well as Rodgers. If he’s genuinely impressive and has a modern take on the game, is somewhat ahead of his time, then I think that will be good for us.

Wasn’t that long ago that Rodgers was at Swansea. Did a great job but let’s say in another season Brighton’s xG had them in 10th, that’s a very similar job.

Only thing I would say in Rodgers favour is it seems like he will have a bit more confidence having worked with bigger players and won trophies at Celtic. Admittedly it’s Scotland, but I think there’s something to be said for the swagger you gain from that kind of run.

Back