• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Thanks for posting. Some of this depends on what Potter wants for himself and his career. From a purely career perspective, he should bear in mind Eddie Howe - was a similar rising star a few years ago and could have then moved to a team which is a step up - whether a Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, West Ham, maybe Everton pre-Ancelotti - and now will need to do a good job somewhere else before getting one of those gigs. And he's need to do one of those jobs in order to get a job in the next rung in the league

For Potter, he's probably taken Brighton as far as he realistically can, and whether its caused by him , injuries, form, luck or whatever, if Brighton have a worse season next year (which is likely given he probably cant take them much further) then he wont be in the running for as big jobs. Therefore from a ruthless, career perspective, he should jump ship soon especially for the Spurs job if offered it. I dont see Levy going for Potter, whether rightly or wrongly, though!

I think the quote from the Athletic (?) that the board are looking for someone that fits the growing profile of the club would rule out Potter. Relegation-fighting manager is not that profile. Not that I'm belittling Potter's achievements elsewhere, but I can't see Levy going for him, at least not near the top of the list anyway.

I think the quote from the Athletic (?) that the board are looking for someone that fits the growing profile of the club would rule out Potter. Relegation-fighting manager is not that profile. Not that I'm belittling Potter's achievements elsewhere, but I can't see Levy going for him, at least not near the top of the list anyway.

I agree. There arent too many candidates between the Potter type and the star-name type though

I'll be dissapointed if we're discounting candidates based on profile as it would show we're not learning lessons
We'll find out in the next few weeks.
I expect their will be voices within the process pushing for higher profile, but I'd be surprised if the entire recruitment drive excludes any somewhat lower profile figures.

Thanks for posting. Some of this depends on what Potter wants for himself and his career. From a purely career perspective, he should bear in mind Eddie Howe - was a similar rising star a few years ago and could have then moved to a team which is a step up - whether a Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, West Ham, maybe Everton pre-Ancelotti - and now will need to do a good job somewhere else before getting one of those gigs. And he's need to do one of those jobs in order to get a job in the next rung in the league

For Potter, he's probably taken Brighton as far as he realistically can, and whether its caused by him , injuries, form, luck or whatever, if Brighton have a worse season next year (which is likely given he probably cant take them much further) then he wont be in the running for as big jobs. Therefore from a ruthless, career perspective, he should jump ship soon especially for the Spurs job if offered it. I dont see Levy going for Potter, whether rightly or wrongly, though!
I do think a lot of managers get stuck with staying a5 a club and being pigeon holes
It’s why Chris wilder quit IMO as he knew his value was still high ish but what happens next for him is his key
Potter has maybe 18 months left as a “high” at Brighton before things start to possibly hurt him..

I've watched enough of Sevilla.

He had the full backs high to the point of inverted wingers, midfielder dropping in to make a 3, an excellent sort passing game through the team, and promotes overloads in the final third.

To be honest stylistically I don't find that much tactically difference between most newer managers. They mostly press high, play a variation of 4-3-3, high block, quick turnovers. It's whether they've been able to apply their ideas and build a team that's the sum of its parts. Which he has. He has a reputation for bringing through youth, defends his players against criticism, promotes hard work as when he was at Spain picked players based on form not reputation.

Well that is where the repeated commentary around the club decision criteria comes in (Ally Gold has repeated several times)

1. Attacking manager with a view to possession
2. Someone that brings a cutting edge approach, scientific methods, etc.

First part to your point, most modern managers cover, it's the second part plus people management abilities that will be a differentiator

Well that is where the repeated commentary around the club decision criteria comes in (Ally Gold has repeated several times)

First part to your point, most modern managers cover, it's the second part plus people management abilities that will be a differentiator

This is a big issue I think. The tactial side is pretty easy to find someone, coaches go through standardised training, it's not often true innovator comes along, but that's fine.

However getting a manager who can motivate/scare/instill belief/turn runners up into winners out of our lot is anything thing all together. They respond them stop to the arm round the shoulder favourite uncle approach. They respond the stop to disciplinarian approach.....what ultimately is the formula the right man needs to hit on to turn us into winners. What ever people think of Levy, we've been in enough semi finals and finals in recent years and won feck all.

Its 100% the 'other' stuff.

The communicator, the father figure, the taking an interest beyond football, the rule setter and treating everyone equally, the listener, and being as fair and honest as you can be. Leads to togetherness and that family feel and hey presto...greater than the sum of its parts.

(Just thought....relate the paragraph above to Jose...:rolleyes:)

Whoever we get, think it is important that they can get value out of the transfer market. Getting in a manager that is used to throwing money about isn't going to help us.

Seems like the Potter machine is ramping up, Ally Gold has tweeted the Spurs players were impressed with Brighton’s system against them.

It’s probably gonna be him. I’m game.

Seems like the Potter machine is ramping up, Ally Gold has tweeted the Spurs players were impressed with Brighton’s system against them.

It’s probably gonna be him. I’m game.

Certainly better than a lot of the names been thrown around the in press. I've kind of been expecting Levy to go for someone who has been talked about much - he has a track record of this with Santini/Jol, Gross, Poch

But if we're not getting Rodgers, and with Nagelsmann gone, its either Potter or Ten Hag for me

I just hope that if we do get Potter, we back him in the same way that we would have backed Nagelsmann, Mourinho or any other big name

I'll be dissapointed if we're discounting candidates based on profile as it would show we're not learning lessons

Surely it's a safer bet to get in someone who actually has a profile, one failure in Jose doesn't mean much really.

I'd take a chance on a profiled manager vs a flash in the pan or a punt.

Certainly better than a lot of the names been thrown around the in press. I've kind of been expecting Levy to go for someone who has been talked about much - he has a track record of this with Santini/Jol, Gross, Poch

But if we're not getting Rodgers, and with Nagelsmann gone, its either Potter or Ten Hag for me

I just hope that if we do get Potter, we back him in the same way that we would have backed Nagelsmann, Mourinho or any other big name

Wouldn't mind seeing Ben White, Bisouma coming with

Back