• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

As usual you lay all the blame on Levy and absolve Poch of any, no surprise really
Poch was an absolutely brilliant manager.... Achieved 4 CL qualifications in a row with the 6th biggest wage bill and 14th(ish) biggest transfer budget in the country.

The chairman spent £12m sacking him, then a further £15m+ sacking his predecessor.

Last edited:
Those are expectations you have plucked out of the air though? Who is saying top 6 and good football is the limit of their ambitions? Do you think that's why Levy sacked Pochettino (3 points from 5th)? Do you appoint Mourinho to finish top 6 and play good football? Do you sack him when he's a couple of points off top 6 if that's all you're interested in?

Next manager we get right has the opportunity to take us to the top, Poch almost got there with no money, next time we won't be balancing the books so can hopefully go one better.

Good to see you back posting again btw mate
The incumbent manager said the team needed a (painful) rebuild. Levy took the cheaper option and replaced him. Quite why Levy felt he knew more about our team than our coach of over 5 years coming off the back of 4 straight CL qualifications I have no idea?!?

Last edited:
:rolleyes: He's transformed us from a midtable team to a top 4 team, just compare the average league position in the last decade to the decade before he took over.
No he hasn't. If he had then we would finish top 4 whoever is in charge, which has clearly not been the case. Compare to Chelsea for example who win trophies whoever the manager is. This season we have looked miles away from being a top 4 club. He has made us into a top 6 club. That's not the same thing.

He has certainly provided the environment in which some of that can happen through some fantastic financial decisions and looking after the non football side, but this is the problem in this debate, he is assigned more credit than he deserves.

Last edited:
I don't think you can look at the successes in a vacuum and not take into account the failings also.i don't think that's so much bring a tough crowd but looking at these things objectively and unemotionally. To call him exceptional for the successful signings only seems to ignore the manu failings.

Ultimately, we are much better than when ENIC took over, and other clubs who were similar to us, have not fared as well. Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Villa, Everton for example. Have these other large clubs all been exceptionally badly run, as they have fared far worse than Levy-run Spurs? Which other non-doped clubs would you point to as having outperformed us?

On top of the pretty good on-the-field performance under Levy, we've also built a stadium that will lift Spurs up into a new echelon. And to cap it off, built what is widely regarded as one of the best training facilities in football! Are you sure of your unemotional objectivity?

Not every signing can be stellar it’s that obvious mate!

You are a smart fellah, why can’t you see the obvious reality of this?

I am truly baffled

Likewise, mate. I have nothing against you and the other folks who like Levy on here - even @parklane1, even though his hard-on for Levy is...certainly something. :p

You're smart folks who care about Spurs. But it baffles me that you're willing to accept the utter mediocrity that ENIC serves up for us, is all. We are not good at transfers, as other folks have pointed out - Monchi is, Campos is, Paul Mitchell is, clubs like Dortmund and Leipzig are. By contrast, our bargain-basement recruitment model throws out as many useless flops as it does stars - more flops than stars, mostly. All it really does is tinkle off managers who feel like they have no support.

And Levy is woeful at picking managers, as other folks have pointed out. He has no skin in the game, he's never put a penny into the club he's supposedly a fan of and stands to make an enormous profit on. Even our revenue growth has very little to do with him, and mostly to do with the fact that the Prem exploded in value in that time. Commercially, we haven't got a stadium sponsor, and our existing deals are middling compares to our competitors.

He built a stadium using the club's own money, and managed the project...acceptably, I suppose, although I don't know anyone who pays themselves a bonus for handicapping their on-field manager who was the real driving force behind the club's transformation and delivering a stadium late and over-budget.

Other than that, he's a mediocre deadweight, as is his useless tax exile boss who shows up once a century. And that he's exalted as some genius for being a cheapskate is...always strange to me. Shouldn't we want to win things, have owners who invest, who care? Instead of just have an owner who drives the hardest bargain even it handicaps his own team on the field?

We were the 4th-most successful side in England once. Before ENIC, before 20 years of their mediocre penny-pinching. We don't have to be scarred by the Sugar years forever. We can aim higher than this lot.

Some of our best signings have been those cheap bargain-bin signings, Eriksen, Dele, even Dier for £4m was a good deal

Sure. Some of our worst signings have been, too - Chimbonda, Stambouli, Fazio, Chiriches, N'Jie, N'Koudou, Janssen, and so on. In every case, there was a better option the manager wanted we cheaped out on. We weren't outbid, we cheaped out on them, plain and simple.

Shop in the discount aisle, you get crap as often (or more often) as you get a good deal. It's not a great way to run a club that apparently aspires to win things.

@DubaiSpur here you go. Here is an owner who spent his own money on his team, would you have preferred Lerner to Levy? https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbym...-more-than-100000-a-day-over-the-last-decade/

Which English club would you point to as being a model for what Spurs should have been? As Levy has done so badly according to you, there should be oodles of examples. :rolleyes:

Don't know why you want to restrict yourself to England given there are examples of well-run clubs across Europe that would laugh at Levy's miserliness being called an ownership model. But, if you insist -
FSG, for instance? Beat the absolute crap out of Levy and his cowardice, invested to accumulate, backed their manager, poached our staff, won everything we should have. That's excellence in ownership, not mistaking Levy's miserliness for a strategy.

I want someone who cares about Tottenham Hotspur as a football club that wants to win things, not a land ownership vehicle, portfolio booster or anchor tenant. I doubt Levy does. Doubt ENIC does. So I'd like them to fudge off. I'm aware of the risk of new owners being like them or worse - but at least we can dream instead of sadly wonder why we went from the 4th-most successful side in England to one Carling Cup in 20 years of these owners.

No he hasn't. If he had then we would finish top 4 whoever is in charge, which has clearly not been the case. Compare to Chelsea for example who win trophies whoever the manager is. This season we have looked miles away from being a top 4 club. He has made us into a top 6 club. That's not the same thing.

He has certainly provided the environment in which some of that can happen through some fantastic financial decisions and looking after the non football side, but this is the problem in this debate, he is assigned more credit than he deserves.
So the manager doesn't matter. It didn't matter whether it was Poch, Mourinho or some random bloke from the street. Such BS.
Chelsea have finished midtable. Under Lampard they probably would've finished midtable, under Tuchal they will probably finish top 4.

The one thing you are right about is Levy creating the right environment for the team. The next is the financials which he was on the cusp of doing with the new stadium and will do once everything is back to normal.

I can't be ar.sed to wade in on these interminable Poch v Levy debates every single flippin week, please just pretend I am posting "Levy has made LOTS of bad decisions and LOADS of good decisions but overall I like Levy and I trust Levy" on every page. Ta.

Sure. Some of our worst signings have been, too - Chimbonda, Stambouli, Fazio, Chiriches, N'Jie, N'Koudou, Janssen, and so on. In every case, there was a better option the manager wanted we cheaped out on. We weren't outbid, we cheaped out on them, plain and simple.

Shop in the discount aisle, you get crap as often (or more often) as you get a good deal. It's not a great way to run a club that apparently aspires to win things.
I'd say our worst signings have been our biggest signings, Sanchez, Lamela, Sissoko, even going back to Darren Bent. You are fixated on the cost. It doesn't matter what the cost is (if in budget) once you get the right player in.

Don't know why you want to restrict yourself to England given there are examples of well-run clubs across Europe that would laugh at Levy's miserliness being called an ownership model. But, if you insist -
FSG, for instance? Beat the absolute crap out of Levy and his cowardice, invested to accumulate, backed their manager, poached our staff, won everything we should have. That's excellence in ownership, not mistaking Levy's miserliness for a strategy.

I want someone who cares about Tottenham Hotspur as a football club that wants to win things, not a land ownership vehicle, portfolio booster or anchor tenant. I doubt Levy does. Doubt ENIC does. So I'd like them to fudge off. I'm aware of the risk of new owners being like them or worse - but at least we can dream instead of sadly wonder why we went from the 4th-most successful side in England to one Carling Cup in 20 years of these owners.

The obvious reason why English, is because we are trying to compare like for like. You really think Liverpool's state-side owners care about them? Do they attend every game too? They were fortunate to sell Coutinho for absurd money and get klopp, but fair play they have invested well.

Okay so Levy is terrible, yet you can name just one club who he should emulate or have outperformed us. A club that has a far stronger silverware pedigree than us. Not sure your arguments are so sound either tbh.

I'd say our worst signings have been our biggest signings, Sanchez, Lamela, Sissoko, even going back to Darren Bent. You are fixated on the cost. It doesn't matter what the cost is (if in budget) once you get the right player in.

No arguing on those signings all being crap, but the hit-rate still seems better on the big deals than the small ones, just because we make a lot fewer of the former. Modric was a big deal when we signed him, for instance. Record transfer for a while.

I agree it's about the right player, but by that, I mean the player the manager wants. Schneiderlin over Stambouli. Musacchio over Fazio. Grealish over...fudging no one. Mane over K'Koudou. Wijnaldum over Sissoko. Skriniar over Rodon.

So the manager doesn't matter. It didn't matter whether it was Poch, Mourinho or some random bloke from the street. Such BS.
Chelsea have finished midtable. Under Lampard they probably would've finished midtable, under Tuchal they will probably finish top 4.

Not sure what you getting at there? You said Levy has made us into a top 4 team. That is not true. Harry and Poch achieved top 4 no one else has . Our default position seems to be 5th or 6th therefore it is fair to conclude that's what Levy has made us. The comparison with Chelsea is that whoever is in charge they mostly go on to win some form of trophy even if their league form drops. Abramovich has instilled a winning culture at the club.

Btw under Lampard they finished top 4 and reached a cup final. So not sure how you concluded mid table was the best he was offering.

The obvious reason why English, is because we are trying to compare like for like. You really think the Liverpool owners care about them? Do they attend every game too? The were fortunate to sell Coutinho for absurd money and get klopp, but fair play they have invested well. Okay so Levy is terrible, yet you can name just one club who he should emulate or have outperformed us. A club that has a far stronger pedigree than us. Not sure your arguments are so sound either tbh.

We charge the highest ticket prices in the league and have done for over a decade, are in London, and were the 4th- most successful side in all England at the dawn of the PL era. Not sure our pedigree is insignificant, and equally, it's probably harder overtaking us on account of those natural advantages than it would be for other clubs, regardless of ownership. That needs to be factored in too - not sure assigning it to Levy's mediocre leadership is good logic.

@SpurMeUp - and as for Pool, they're such a good example because they did with Klopp what we should have done with Poch, in an often directly comparable sense. They backed him, FSG invested their own cash, they won the PL and the CL. Those could have been our trophies with Poch. They should have been - I'm convinced Poch is a better manager than Klopp, and he worked miracles on the miserable shoestring budget Levy gave him.

That could, and should, have been us. But we had ENIC, they had FSG. To our enduring misfortune.

Back