• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT CARABAO CUP FINAL TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V Emirates Marketing Project***

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah second half we were much better for the first 20 mins which is not to say we were great but we were better. Lo Celso, particularly, I thought got much more into the game and took some risks on the ball.

Ndombele would have been ideal if he was interested because he’s so good on the ball even under intense pressure. However, I don’t blame Mason one bit for dropping him. His performance against Southampton was disgraceful.
Yep
Agree with that

Your point re long balls is a good one but Carragher is spot on.

View attachment 11720

This is where Winks got the ball and ultimately turned around and took the easy way out. Neither Hojbjerg or Lo Celso is in the picture. That's unforgivable. So now Winks has to drive into space and risk being pressed or play a longer, riskier pass to find a team mate. In the end, he takes the easy option. Hojbjerg, Winks and Lo Celso did that repeatedly in the first half. The CBs had no option but to knock it long or sideways to the full backs. When the full backs got it, City pressed us, when it went long, it inevitably came back to us.

Absolutely! That's where the confidence-bit comes to play. Remember how Dembele and Eriksen used to invite pressure, to maximise the effect of the pass/dribble? By sucking players towards them, they created space for the players behind. To do that requires immense confidence. Not just in your own abilities, but crucially in your teammates abilities. Because if you do this, and your teammate roosters it up, you're screwed. You've got two or more players to defend in your zone. I suspect this is the main reason why all our midfielders chose the "safe" and easy backpass at the very inkling of a press.

I know it's just hammering the same point over and over, but we really look like a team that hasn't been coached what to do in posession (regardingbthe Carragher vid chat) - Son & Kane at least have years of playing together to fall back on and Moura just does his own thing most of the time but between Winks Hojberg and Lo Celso (and Ndombele in other games) there's no experience as a unit for them to fall back on and against teams like City you'll get exposed - the only difference between Sunday and the 2 nil at WHL was that we caught them out with a couple of quick breaks.

Honestly i think it's absolutely criminal the way certain aspects of our game have been neglected for the last 18 months

Last edited:
I know it's just hammering the same point over and over, but we really look like a team that hasn't been coached what to do in posession - Son & Kane at least have years of playing together to fall back on and Moura just does his own thing most of the time but between Winks Hojberg and Lo Celso (and Ndombele in other games) there's no experience as a unit for them to fall back on and against teams like City you'll get exposed - the only difference between Sunday and the 2 nil at WHL was that we caught them out with a couple of quick breaks.

Honestly i think it's absolutely criminal the way certain aspects of our game have been neglected for the last 18 months
Yep
And it showed
Hence masons 5 days vs 5 years comments

I know it's just hammering the same point over and over, but we really look like a team that hasn't been coached what to do in posession - Son & Kane at least have years of playing together to fall back on and Moura just does his own thing most of the time but between Winks Hojberg and Lo Celso (and Ndombele in other games) there's no experience as a unit for them to fall back on and against teams like City you'll get exposed - the only difference between Sunday and the 2 nil at WHL was that we caught them out with a couple of quick breaks.

Whether you’re right or wrong that’s no excuse for this squad that according to some are easily top 4 material who couldn’t even do the basics. I was fine with Mourinho being sacked before the final, thinking we couldn’t perform any worse. I was wrong, I’d bet my house we would have played better than that and at the very least would have started with a better lineup and made such questionable subs. But hey ho, it’s done now.....

Whether you’re right or wrong that’s no excuse for this squad that according to some are easily top 4 material who couldn’t even do the basics. I was fine with Mourinho being sacked before the final, thinking we couldn’t perform any worse. I was wrong, I’d bet my house we would have played better than that and at the very least would have started with a better lineup and made such questionable subs. But hey ho, it’s done now.....

We didn't play any better than that in either of the times we played City this season, as i said similar performance in the game we won at home only we had Son in his purple patch then and hit them on the break a couple of times to break up Citys dominance. To the teams credit we actually defended really well (back line defending anyway) on Sunday, as we did in the home game, considering the amount we had to do both times as our midfield was non existent. I'd take that bet all day long, i had City down to win -3 prior to the sacking.

Last edited:
I agree totally with the point made earlier about free kicks in and around the half way line.... I usually end up screaming, 'get the f...ing ball in the box'.....

How many times have we seen teams come to Spurs, put 10 men behind the ball but load our penalty area every time they get a free kick within range... And several times those 'lesser' teams have won 1 nil...

It's terrible game management to end up playing the ball back to Lloris and miss an opportunity to get in the opponents box when we're being outplayed. And then i hear that our Xg was 0.04.. That means we would have to play Emirates Marketing Project 25 times to get an Xg of 1... I am not saying Xg is the definitive assessment of a game but figures like that do say a lot..

And then i hear we havent actually scored a goal in our last 4 cup finals... I'm gutted with it all..

And now i have just seen that Emirates Marketing Project had an Xg of 3.5.... We would have to play them 87 times before we could creep up to 3.5...

its just pathetic and huge changes are needed at the club..

Had Hojberg shot when he should have that number would have gone up somewhat tbf - had we executed that break when Kane & Son were doing everything right we'd have likely scored...

That's not to say weren't completely and utterly dominated but as per Steve's post above there's a trend over the last few years where we create little of note v them and concede chances at a similar rate - this was a continuation of that.

Had Hojberg shot when he should have that number would have gone up somewhat tbf - had we executed that break when Kane & Son were doing everything right we'd have likely scored...

That's not to say weren't completely and utterly dominated

Hojbjerg really annoyed me. He should have shot with his left. If he was going to pass it, he had to give a much better pass than he did. He gave Reguilon no chance. Then to have the neck to blame Reguilon for it...cheeky bastard.

Stefan Freund would have been better in that position than PEH.

Hojbjerg really annoyed me. He should have shot with his left. If he was going to pass it, he had to give a much better pass than he did. He gave Reguilon no chance. Then to have the neck to blame Reguilon for it...cheeky bastard.

Or Zakora?!

I don’t like pandering to players egos but will the decisions made in the final have a negative impact for the run in. It’s hard enough as a caretaker but you could have Lamela and Ndombele feeling hard done by to not get on the pitch, Bale may have felt he should have started and Moura and Lo Celso subbed despite the fact they were amongst the more dangerous performers.
Hopefully professional pride and the drive to be in Europe will be enough, but in retrospect it was quite a bold move to have Winks and Sissoko involved in a game of this magnitude.

Kane should have passed to him earlier but PEH should have just put his foot through it and if it's on target it has a fair chance of resulting in a goal.

That very last picture demonstrates just how important Emirates Marketing Project's tactical fouls were and also how poor the ref was. I think this was the second foul (which should've been the red). If so and he couldn't make the foul having correctly been booked earlier then he would've been leaving us 4 on 2 which is a goal 90% of the time in top level football. That situation should've therefore been either goal or red card.

Your point re long balls is a good one but Carragher is spot on.

View attachment 11720

This is where Winks got the ball and ultimately turned around and took the easy way out. Neither Hojbjerg or Lo Celso is in the picture. That's unforgivable. So now Winks has to drive into space and risk being pressed or play a longer, riskier pass to find a team mate. In the end, he takes the easy option. Hojbjerg, Winks and Lo Celso did that repeatedly in the first half. The CBs had no option but to knock it long or sideways to the full backs. When the full backs got it, City pressed us, when it went long, it inevitably came back to us.
Caragher describes the exact reason why I always argued against those who wanted us to play Winks earlier this season when we were horribly deep under Jose and rarely managing to transition defence to attack. For some reason Winks has a reputation with a few on here as being a good passer of the ball, he is anything but, he hits his passes weakly, has little vision and is pretty much always far too safe with his passing option. It creates nice stats for him in terms of completed passes but actually puts the team under more pressure and wastes opportunities to attack while the opposition are disorganised.

On most occasions when Winks receives the ball there is an option of a forward pass, he just chooses not to take it.

Kane is front post with the no 25 (fernandino?) and Toby and Dier yeith side of sterling.
Do we really need two of them on sterling?
Kane is always a free man for us on corners and isn't detailed to mark a player

I think Toby was supposed to be marking Fernandinho....

The fact that Dier would rather mark Sterling and leave Laporte to a midfielder says it all.

Sissoko is a terrible defender of corners/free kicks as he has shown umpteen times for us.

Kane is always a free man for us on corners and isn't detailed to mark a player

I think Toby was supposed to be marking Fernandinho....

The fact that Dier would rather mark Sterling and leave Laporte to a midfielder says it all.

Sissoko is a terrible defender of corners/free kicks as he has shown umpteen times for us.
Maybe the players were assigned who to mark and where to mark them
Our best headers of the ball are all in line

Back