• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Rebuild

Doom and gloom week eh?

- Dele, Dier, Doherty, Sanchez, Sissoko, Aurier, Winks, CCV, Foyth, Rose (released) = outs. Decent money for Dele, Wink will have english tax, small contributions from the others = £55 - 65M?
- Bale, Lamela (offers seem to be in works from Italy), Bergwijn, Toby - decisions to be left to new manager

New CB required (priority spend here), RB and another midfield option
Skipp & Sessegnon to be potentially brought back in
Striker situation to be addressed, Vini or otherwise?

What's interesting is we could get rid of 10 players and really only change 2 first team starters (perhaps that's be the flaw of the rebuild so far?)

Agree with Dele, Dier, Doherty, Sanchez, Sissoko, Aurier, Winks, CCV, and Rose, would also add Davies, Lamela (and I love the guy) and Bale but I would see what Foyth can do now he has had some 1st team experience.

I also think we need 2 new centre backs, a 1st teamer and decent cover plus a RB and LB cover (and make Reguilon permanent) and a midfield general

I also think we have no chance of doing that much business in one season

1) have you seen how much deadwood we're carrying in our squad?
2) have you seen how many areas need improvement?

this is going to take 2 years to fix minimum, it wont' really be fixed by then, but the fruits of the labour would start to be seen then. it's a project, a painful rebuild as someone once said (but Levy knew better).

We've wasted nearly 2 years to come back to where Poch told us we would be. This isn't a Poch/Jose thing btw, more just frustrating we didn't listen and it's set us back so far. We weren't that far from City and Liverpool 2 years ago, now we're worlds away.

Whoever we get in, will take several windows of turnaround and by then, we're not guarenteed to be any closer to others. Chelsea look strong under Tuchel, Klopp will spend the summer freshening up Liverpool, and City and United fairly stable. Long way to go, so frustrating.

What's deadwood till the new manager assesses it? Rose and Dembele would have been straight out of the door for nearly everyone in 2014, until Poch found the player lost in there.

Personally Doherty, Hart and Bale are the only 3 players I can't see anything being salvageable of by a decent coach.

What's deadwood till the new manager assesses it? Rose and Dembele would have been straight out of the door for nearly everyone in 2014, until Poch found the player lost in there.

Personally Doherty, Hart and Bale are the only 3 players I can't see anything being salvageable of by a decent coach.

+Winks, Sissoko, Sanchez, Dier and that's being kind ..

Sissoko is our only bad player.
The rest could find a role in the proper system.
Of course that system won't suit them all, but that's what happens when you have a committee making decisions and all for different reasons.

+Winks, Sissoko, Sanchez, Dier and that's being kind ..

All four have been very effective in the right systems. But they all need the right partners to complement them. Winks was outstanding next to a foundation of Dier or Wanyama. Sanchez and Dier both looked world-beaters alongside Vertoghen (and Dier in CM with Dembele). And Sissoko has his moments when we need physicality and a line breaker. But 2-3 years of pairing them badly has done no-one any favours.

Not a great strike rate from the Transfer Committee for an outlay of about £270m though.

Lo Celso: much cheaper than Bruno Fernandes for good reason it seems.
Ndombele: immense ability on the ball but still no Mousa, as yet.
Sessegnon: bags of talent but injury prone and not set the Bundesliga alight from what I’ve seen.
Bergwijn: offers about as much goal threat as Lamela.
Hojbjerg: potential heir to Wanyama but needs backup (Skipp) to avoid being run into ground like big Vic.
Reguilon: having a poor run of form but hopefully will be heir to prime Rose.
Bale: thanks for the memories but surely Levy can find a better team player for £1m per month wages.
Rodon: one for the future but how could we not have better LCB options after €iteh outbid us for LaPorte.
Doherty: appears the Wolves fans were right about him being unsuited to playing in a back 4.
Vinicius: a decent goal poacher but surely not worth £41m fee.
Clarke: seems like a highly speculative punt.
Gedson: might as well give our Academy players a chance than use up another non-HG spot in squad.
Hart: well at least he counts as homegrown I suppose.

But this is what we are gonna keep getting with the much hyped rebuild.

3 of this 13 made it into the first team for the Cup final.
At that rate we are gonna have to bring in another 34 players to replace the other 8.

I think Levy should create a refreshed plan. Something along the lines of investing in the youth team, with the intention that squad places are filled by our up and coming players. We've had pretty good success with this, and we should stick to what we've done well on. So:

1. Invest in youth players, and hire coaching staff who are good at accelerating young players. Study other accadamies and discern our teaching philosophies.

Not sure what else should go onto his plan. Clearing the deadwood is obviously crucial. But that always will be difficult as others won't want our cast-offs, Levy is going to have write off some contracts. Having a plan and philosophy will help with recruiting the next management team. I wouldn't rule out Poch returning at some point. His ideals were nicely aligned. Maybe Levy could have insisted Poch add freshness via new members of the coaching team. For example, Ferguson was highly successful adding number 2s who were managers in their own right.

2. Invest into coaching personnel, and a setup that is independent of the manager.

I've never understood why clubs invest into one coaching regime, and when the manager leaves the whole thing is shattered and needs replacing. Why not build a more stable model a la Ajax, with a consistent machine that is independent of the manager?

3. Develop our transfer strategy to focus on filling gaps with the right high-quality players. Levy can maintain a transfer policy of targeting value but the weighting needs to change now a little, to focus first and foremost addressing clear deficiencies in the first team. Then he can invest in youth and potential.

4. Think about what Spurs fans need in terms of club philosophy. We are an interesting juncture. You've had the whole ho har around the super league. Take time to do a fan survey as to what Spurs identity is or should be now. We do enough on Yids but little on Spurs identy itself.

5. Off the back of this, setup some online lectures, seminars etc resisting periods games etc. Sponsor some fan-made content. Setup some competitions for best article etc. Sounds a bit naff, but show Spurs is a community. Invest in it at a grass routes level. Invest in online content that is more interactive. Let members vote on things regularly. Whether its Spurs all time side, or whether to have more catering, involve loyal fans to build a greater rapport.

All four have been very effective in the right systems. But they all need the right partners to complement them. Winks was outstanding next to a foundation of Dier or Wanyama. Sanchez and Dier both looked world-beaters alongside Vertoghen (and Dier in CM with Dembele). And Sissoko has his moments when we need physicality and a line breaker. But 2-3 years of pairing them badly has done no-one any favours.

- Problem is none of them have shown that in last 2 years
- Sissoko played a role but seems to have aged out now
- Dier's best role for us was as a DM that dropped back into 3rd CB role, soething he has come out and told the club he doesn't want to do anymore.
- Sanchez had a good season alongside Jan, but he's been here 4 years now? not improving
- Winks is going to be 26 next season and has never made himself a regular (Skipp has played more games for Norwich this season than Winks has ever managed in a single season, despite the 5 year gap between them)

I think when people talk about a rebuild they are envisioning changing the starting 11 significantly

My rebuild would have 10 players out of club -> Dier, Aurier, Dele, Sanchez, Winks, Sissoko, Doherty, Foyth, Rose, CCV with only two changes to first 11
You then add the others - > Bergwijn, Lamela, Bale, Vinicius, Toby (you probably get rid of 2-3 out of that lot) -> that's almost half your 25 man squad

Core team - Lloris, Reguilon, PEH, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son, Kane (7 no changes)
Added to - Rodon, Tanganga, Lucas, Skipp, Sessegnon +at least two from the "others" list above
- That's total 15 players
- Add in 1 or 2 from academy
- buy 5-7

I think Levy should create a refreshed plan. Something along the lines of investing in the youth team, with the intention that squad places are filled by our up and coming players. We've had pretty good success with this, and we should stick to what we've done well on. So:

1. Invest in youth players, and hire coaching staff who are good at accelerating young players. Study other accadamies and discern our teaching philosophies.

Not sure what else should go onto his plan. Clearing the deadwood is obviously crucial. But that always will be difficult as others won't want our cast-offs, Levy is going to have write off some contracts. Having a plan and philosophy will help with recruiting the next management team. I wouldn't rule out Poch returning at some point. His ideals were nicely aligned. Maybe Levy could have insisted Poch add freshness via new members of the coaching team. For example, Ferguson was highly successful adding number 2s who were managers in their own right.

2. Invest into coaching personnel, and a setup that is independent of the manager.

I've never understood why clubs invest into one coaching regime, and when the manager leaves the whole thing is shattered and needs replacing. Why not build a more stable model a la Ajax, with a consistent machine that is independent of the manager?

3. Develop our transfer strategy to focus on filling gaps with the right high-quality players. Levy can maintain a transfer policy of targeting value but the weighting needs to change now a little, to focus first and foremost addressing clear deficiencies in the first team. Then he can invest in youth and potential.

4. Think about what Spurs fans need in terms of club philosophy. We are an interesting juncture. You've had the whole ho har around the super league. Take time to do a fan survey as to what Spurs identity is or should be now. We do enough on Yids but little on Spurs identy itself.

5. Off the back of this, setup some online lectures, seminars etc resisting periods games etc. Sponsor some fan-made content. Setup some competitions for best article etc. Sounds a bit naff, but show Spurs is a community. Invest in it at a grass routes level. Invest in online content that is more interactive. Let members vote on things regularly. Whether its Spurs all time side, or whether to have more catering, involve loyal fans to build a greater rapport.

So, to answer

1. We have done this, almost £100M at last count into Hotspur Way as training facilities that are built to support both Academy and First team. We have rebuilt the academy staff several times but just as something I remember off the top of my head, we even re-built the medical staff (we hired GB olympic medical staff at one point)

2. Because the idea is Academy should play the same way the first team does, it "should" mean easy transition from youth to senior team. Challenge has been we change our style with manager (Harry, Poch, Jose as example) as versus a club philosophy like Ajax where the manager is expected to align to the club style.

3. Agreed, I think the last window was as close to this as we have done in a while (PEH perfect example), if we had got a top quality CB it would have been perfect.

4. Spurs fans have become the entitled (happens with even limited success) .. complaints without solutions, all what we don't like with no recommendations that are constructive (I like your ideas, we need more)

5. I'd prefer the club to include Spurs fans in true community stuff, where we help (we are very good with charity/community stuff), problem is see above, no doubt someone will use it against the club as being cheap, why aren't we paying it all, etc. etc.

So for next season the 1st team in a 4231 is;

-------------------------Lloris----------------------
*new rb------Toby----*new lcb---Reguillon
----------------Hojbjerg---*new dm-----------
*new rw----------Ndombele-------------Son
----------------------------Kane----------------------

Assuming Kane, Son, Ndombele stay who do we get to fill the gaps?
Much bigger rebuild than I ever thought...

So for next season the 1st team in a 4231 is;

-------------------------Lloris----------------------
*new rb------Toby----*new lcb---Reguillon
----------------Hojbjerg---*new dm-----------
*new rw----------Ndombele-------------Son
----------------------------Kane----------------------

Assuming Kane, Son, Ndombele stay who do we get to fill the gaps?
Much bigger rebuild than I ever thought...

No title winning team, or even top 4 team, has quality in every position (apart from Man C this season). So if we had Aurier/Tanganga as RB options for next year, its fine if other, bigger problems are solved . Also need to see what the new manager gets out of Dele and GLC, and where they use Ndombele.

CB has to be the priority, as well as RW and Kane's back-up

No title winning team, or even top 4 team, has quality in every position (apart from Man C this season). So if we had Aurier/Tanganga as RB options for next year, its fine if other, bigger problems are solved . Also need to see what the new manager gets out of Dele and GLC, and where they use Ndombele.

CB has to be the priority, as well as RW and Kane's back-up
Aurier is gone IMO
Contract has one year left
He wants to return to France

Last edited:
Not a great strike rate from the Transfer Committee for an outlay of about £270m though.

Lo Celso: much cheaper than Bruno Fernandes for good reason it seems.
Ndombele: immense ability on the ball but still no Mousa, as yet.
Sessegnon: bags of talent but injury prone and not set the Bundesliga alight from what I’ve seen.
Bergwijn: offers about as much goal threat as Lamela.
Hojbjerg: potential heir to Wanyama but needs backup (Skipp) to avoid being run into ground like big Vic.
Reguilon: having a poor run of form but hopefully will be heir to prime Rose.
Bale: thanks for the memories but surely Levy can find a better team player for £1m per month wages.
Rodon: one for the future but how could we not have better LCB options after €iteh outbid us for LaPorte.
Doherty: appears the Wolves fans were right about him being unsuited to playing in a back 4.
Vinicius: a decent goal poacher but surely not worth £41m fee.
Clarke: seems like a highly speculative punt.
Gedson: might as well give our Academy players a chance than use up another non-HG spot in squad.
Hart: well at least he counts as homegrown I suppose.

Absolute shambles of a policy. Hichens must surely go - and take the rest of the recruitment team with him.

Back