• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

It seems the managers and players weren’t consulted.

If they’re not on board then it’s a very hard sell.

Especially if there’s a real threat of ESL players being barred from playing for their national teams.

I think the national team thing would be an issue, although I really can't see that FIFA would implement that rule for World Cup competitions. I suppose UEFA might try for the Euros, but I don't think they will, and they would be challenged through the courts if they tried to do so.
Jonathan Barrett was on the radio this morning and he was quite clear he would go to court over this on behalf of his players.
He also made a fair point i.e. the players weren't consulted over this, they didn't decide this ESL would be created, yet as soon as it was announced, UEFA and FIFA were immediately talking about banning players from national teams. Basically using them as pawns when they've had no involvement. And if they are under contract, how can they refuse to play for their clubs anyway?

So if this doesn’t launch now and the clubs have to crawl back to UEFA/PL - surely that puts the current chairman of those clubs in an untenable position?
There is no going back now. Even if they said they were withdrawing all plans for the ESL, everyone would know they'd just be working on a new set of ideas that would be slightly more palatable

So if this doesn’t launch now and the clubs have to crawl back to UEFA/PL - surely that puts the current chairman of those clubs in an untenable position?

They own the clubs. Its not a positoin which they're voted into (unless the chairman is appointed by a company which owns the club...but still it doesnt mean that they should resign).

Bookies have it as 50/50, but if it doesnt happen then repercussions depend on how it falls over.

If it doesnt happen, then UEFA would need to change a variety of things as its simply untenable to run an organisation and have a bunch of your largest stakeholders so much against how you're running it that they want to leave

fair point - but I can’t see how they can continue.

who is going to stop them, Levy wouldn't have done this without involving Lewis, he was clearly on board, if it all goes away there is no harm done, Levy was just following the best financial path for the business

They own the clubs. Its not a positoin which they're voted into (unless the chairman is appointed by a company which owns the club...but still it doesnt mean that they should resign).

Bookies have it as 50/50, but if it doesnt happen then repercussions depend on how it falls over.

If it doesnt happen, then UEFA would need to change a variety of things as its simply untenable to run an organisation and have a bunch of your largest stakeholders so much against how you're running it that they want to leave

The trust would be completely gone, plus they have admitted they can’t run the club on the current financial model.

Would they want to stay?

Yes, they will have to consider sacking or severely reprimanding themselves.

More seriously, if it doesn't go ahead, can we go back to the status quo? While the PL and CL can continue, the acrimony and lack of trust between different parts of football will still be there. There will remain a sense of uncertainty about the future that will affect TV contracts and club sponsorship deals. Yet I can't see any compromise where everyone can claim some sort of win. The eggs are broken, now what do we do?

who is going to stop them, Levy wouldn't have done this without involving Lewis, he was clearly on board, if it all goes away there is no harm done, Levy was just following the best financial path for the business

Is Lewis that hands on? Has Levy just gone to him and said this is what’s being proposed we should do it?

If Levy has damaged the brand and it falls through, I can’t imagine Lewis will be that impressed.

I don’t know, it just seems like something they can’t come back from

Would UEFA even let them back in without some sort of change?

As someone pointed out above, it’s only a matter of time before they try again

The trust would be completely gone, plus they have admitted they can’t run the club on the current financial model.

Would they want to stay?

I think the pressure would be more on UEFA to mend things. THings like the ridiculous nations league which stacks up fixtures, the new CL structure which adds games, the nonsense way that the EL requires endless games before you get to the final...and obviously distribution of revenue. I doubt the clubs particularly like UEFA, but UEFA hold disproportionate power for a bunch of bureacrats

The bigger issue in terms of broken trust is between the 14 PL teams and the 6 - would take a long period to restore and more of a problem

The response to this from UEFA, the PL and government so far has been really poor - "we want to stop you leaving". Its pretty weak. None of them making the public case on why the current situation is better for the clubs than what the ESL is proposing. Just that they want to trap the clubs in

If the ESL want this to happen, they should press ahead with plans and release more and more details of what is going to happen, when, how etc etc etc

It's like Brexit. It was all about why it was bad but very little effort was made to explain why we should remain.

I think the pressure would be more on UEFA to mend things. THings like the ridiculous nations league which stacks up fixtures, the new CL structure which adds games, the nonsense way that the EL requires endless games before you get to the final...and obviously distribution of revenue. I doubt the clubs particularly like UEFA, but UEFA hold disproportionate power for a bunch of bureacrats

The bigger issue in terms of broken trust is between the 14 PL teams and the 6 - would take a long period to restore and more of a problem

It's down to the powers that be, who have let the game go the way it has, to find a way to bring it back - they won't do that though because all this guff about competitiveness and fans first isn't what they're about, they just want to be the ones doing the fudging, not to be the ones getting fudged.

They set this ball rolling with the CL, they created this monster through their own greed - should have never changed from the European Cup, Uefa Cup, and Cup Winners Cup.

the new CL structure which adds games, the nonsense way that the EL requires endless games before you get to the final.
The new CL format was discussed with and requested by the clubs! More games is what they want! The ESL would add more games than the new CL format. Also the EL will have the same amount of games as the CL.

Allowing the 6 to stream league games might be a sweatner.

Under Uefa's new 36 team Champions League in 2024 the two highest coefficient teams that didn't qualify get in.

That will usually be 2 of the big 6 in the Premier League.

Would they want to stay?

I think this the issue a lot of people have brought football clubs to make money and very few clubs actually make money. Most cost money.

Look at the abuse Ashley gets at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and he actually runs them as a business. All the pundits say Saudi Sportswashing Machine deserves owners that care about them and invest but they are against other clubs trying to make more money for themselves. It is a bit hypocritical really.

Football is something that needs to pop and everything from wages to ticket prices and transfers needs to come back down. Branson said years ago he expected it to pop at some point as it was unsustainable.

Back