• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

The last part has me laughing, yep let Chelsea & City take blood money and fudging dominate the league but this is a step too far ..

To the first part, there is two problems

- We play the Scum every year, doesn't make it less exciting, can't see how Madrid every year becomes boring. The fact is we will be playing teams that want to play football, have the capability to play football, somehow that will be boring and we will want Burnley and Antwerp back?

- The money isn't equitable, this isn't about just club control, it's club control and 5X the money. there will be zero incentive for any club to return to the fold.

Teams turn over, players come and go, managers too, the league will ebb and flow.

Im a Tottenham fan first and foremost too but this is as appealing as only having preseason tournaments and exhibition matches as my only means of watching us play.

PL becomes an irrelevance and the new league is a waste of time as you're only in it to take part and earn money - there's no competition. fudge that, plastic city.

You dont think rivalries will still be there? It'll be more open than the NFL and other US sports, and they still seem to have competitive sports

Yes - I'm not sure whether that's for fear of being fined by their clubs, or because they want to pick up more cash once the ESL gravy train starts.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the PL captains meeting tmrw which Henderson has called. I wouldnt expect any statement afterwards to be particularly well-written, but I wonder whether it'll be a half-way house - welcoming improvements to the game but wanting admission to the ESL to be more open

Henderson is a macaron, if he hasn't cleared that with his club (who are prime instigators) he will be out on his ass in a second (surprised after his idiot manager's incoherent ramblings yesterday they haven't shut up their staff yet)

The last part has me laughing, yep let Chelsea & City take blood money and fudging dominate the league but this is a step too far ..

To the first part, there is two problems

- We play the Scum every year, doesn't make it less exciting, can't see how Madrid every year becomes boring. The fact is we will be playing teams that want to play football, have the capability to play football, somehow that will be boring and we will want Burnley and Antwerp back?

- The money isn't equitable, this isn't about just club control, it's club control and 5X the money. there will be zero incentive for any club to return to the fold.

We also play some unique teams all across Europe in some far-flung destinations. Never again?

When people turn off, or start watching the more diverse fixtures because of its freshness, you'll be amazed at how quickly it could revert.

Why, plan of action

- Build the model, get legal paperwork in place - done
- Make announcement, resign from ECA, etc. - done
- Wait out inevitable media/pr response
- Build out the details, sponsors, schedules, etc. while locking final 5 sides
- Aggressively respond with legal action against challenges
- Make public more detail when it's clear no action to stop will be taken.

Re the Bale agent comment, that's exactly why FIFA said fudge all.

People really have no fudging idea

- Do you have any idea what it takes to get 12 large companies to sign a 23 year commitment? the fudging lawyers have probably been on this for a year.

I think you're quite likely to be right. I still think there's a chance this leads to negotiations between the 12 clubs and UEFA leading to some kind of compromise.

However I think the covid situation presents those leading this charge with an opportunity to get it through that might not otherwise present itself in quite a few years. So I think there is and will be a further incentive to push this through now.

You dont think rivalries will still be there? It'll be more open than the NFL and other US sports, and they still seem to have competitive sports

Would you get worked up if we played a rival in a preseason US tournament? (Example)

We also play some unique teams all across Europe in some far-flung destinations. Never again?

When people turn off, or start watching the more diverse fixtures because of its freshness, you'll be amazed at how quickly it could revert.

I hate Rubgy, but people watch the 6 nations every year right?

you are listening to a media who is seeing their business interest being attacked (Sky/BT/etc. who have a vested interest in domestic and european cups that are instantly devalued), the rest are mostly fans of clubs that got left out or clubs (City/Bayern) who are in a closed shop anyway/already.

Lets see how many empty seats they really have, or how many sign up for the streaming of ESL, there is your poll.
Tottenham TV channels aswell who if anything probably benefit from this kind of fan. They are completely against it as are every person I've heard interview on their channel.

Why, honest question .. outside of the fact that other clubs get fudged (collateral damage)

- You wouldn't be up for Madrid, Barca, Milan, Juve at the lane every season? you prefer Burnley?

They'll just become the normal clubs you play over time, the reason they have that allure is because you play them rarely and have to earn the right to get there in the first place.

Any time we draw a team we've played in Europe recently I think "not again, let's play someone new"

it won't be, because you have match ups that hate each other, every week, the Manchester teams, El Clasico, Juve and Milan, Juve and Inter, oh and everyone hates Liverpool
Was brought up on a podcast that there will most likely be a further clustering of top players at the ESL clubs. So not only will it be these big games between big teams, the rivalries, there will be more of the best players playing each other more frequently.

And I think it will definitely be competetive. Perhaps financial incentives for doing better, haven't read about that this far though. Bonuses for players, bonuses for managers. And this will effectively replace the CL, of course the players will want to succeed.

Henderson is a macaron, if he hasn't cleared that with his club (who are prime instigators) he will be out on his ass in a second (surprised after his idiot manager's incoherent ramblings yesterday they haven't shut up their staff yet)

There is no chance any of these players are gonna boycott it.
If he werent playing for money he would be back at Sunderland or whatever club they supported.

Who are these people? Do you know what the audience will be to watch Spurs play Madrid streaming in Asia?

for every person that gets tired (I don't see it), there is target market in the billions (the point everyone is missing with taking about seats/stadium atmosphere)

Might miss the odd unique game, but I can also plan my yearly to Madrid/Milan/etc.

There is no chance any of these players are gonna boycott it.
If he werent playing for money he would be back at Sunderland or whatever club they supported.

Exactly, Levy can walk the dressing room and say

- Toe the line boys and you play Madrid/Barca next season and we can up wages x percent ..

Your call, what you going to do?

Yes - I'm not sure whether that's for fear of being fined by their clubs, or because they want to pick up more cash once the ESL gravy train starts.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the PL captains meeting tmrw which Henderson has called. I wouldnt expect any statement afterwards to be particularly well-written, but I wonder whether it'll be a half-way house - welcoming improvements to the game but wanting admission to the ESL to be more open

Didn’t realise one had been called

wonder if they have been told to sell it or if they are against it.

if players were against it they would strike.

Back