• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ESL boycott/march

Would you join an organised fan march/boycott of the ESL? (Full details below)

• Yes

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 80.5%

• Total voters

elltrev

Andy Sinton
It seems like the vast majority of fans are against the idea of the ESL, even among the six English clubs who will benefit (including us).

If all of those fans took a collective stand, I think we would potentially have the power to scupper the ESL (probably not before it starts, but maybe once it's started, though I don't know exactly how that would then play out in practice).

Specifically, if enough fans refused to attend ESL matches, Ieading to half empty stadiums and/or brick atmospheres, I'm not sure it would get anywhere close to the TV viewership the ESP are projecting, thus significantly reducing the income it could generate.

Hypothetically, if a march was organised among fans of the big six clubs to publicise a boycott of the ESL, and you know that hundreds of thousands of other fans had signed up, would you join the boycott and march too?

I ask because I get frustrated that everyone says 'the game wouldn't exist without the fans', but then we never do anything as a group to actually wield that power.

"if enough fans refused to attend ESL matches" - would never happen

Stadiums will be as full as before, even if some of the people are slightly different

It's law that this image be posted when the magic word is used.

boycoutt.jpg

1) People who boycott the games, there will be people willing to take up your spot I’m afraid

2) Even if literally no one attended most of the money will be made via streaming etc An empty stadium will impact the atmosphere of course, but in terms of the overall money being made won’t impact much

"if enough fans refused to attend ESL matches" - would never happen

Stadiums will be as full as before, even if some of the people are slightly different

But I wonder how much of that is a self-fulfilling prophecy, because everyone thinks not enough people would boycott so don't bother boycotting themselves? Hence my question being a hypothetical one, where you know that hundreds of thousands of others are marching and boycotting.

There’s a fudging pandemic on. A march is a really silly idea. For fudge’s sake.

My question was intended to be more of a thought exercise, hence starting with 'hypothetically'. In practice though any march could obviously wait until it was safe to do so (e.g. when people are already gathering in their thousands in stadiums).

1) People who boycott the games, there will be people willing to take up your spot I’m afraid

2) Even if non-figuratively no one attended most of the money will be made via streaming etc An empty stadium will impact the atmosphere of course, but in terms of the overall money being made won’t impact much

On your second point, I struggle to believe that a hypothetical ESL with completely empty stadiums would attract loads of viewers.

My question was intended to be more of a thought exercise, hence starting with 'hypothetically'. In practice though any march could obviously wait until it was safe to do so (e.g. when people are already gathering in their thousands in stadiums).

By the time marches are anything other than a self-indulgent public health risk, all of this will be settled, and legacy fans will either be reconciled to their new streaming contracts or pretending to like Leyton Orient.

To be honest i do not think any march would achieve anything, the reason being is that the powers that be do not give a fudge about supporters and the " beautiful game" anymore its all about how much money they make. A have no doubt that a lot of supporters will not support ( or even go) to the games anymore but they are always the day trippers/ glory hunters who will. Who was it that said " they used to be a game over there".

By the time marches are anything other than a self-indulgent public health risk, all of this will be settled, and legacy fans will either be reconciled to their new streaming contracts or pretending to like Leyton Orient.

Aren't all restrictions supposed to be disappearing in just two months' time, including attending stadiums in our tens of thousands?

Either way, as a thought experiment pretend we weren't in a pandemic, just to humour me - what would your answer be then?

On your second point, I struggle to believe that a hypothetical ESL with completely empty stadiums would attract loads of viewers.
You’re right, I’m sure barely anyone has been watching Champions League games this past year with all those empty stadiums....

To be honest i do not think any march would achieve anything, the reason being is that the powers that be do not give a fudge about supporters and the " beautiful game" anymore its all about how much money they make. A have no doubt that a lot of supporters will not support ( or even go) to the games anymore but they are always the day trippers/ glory hunters who will. Who was it that said " they used to be a game over there".

You might well be right, but it seems to me that the reason the powers that be don't give a fudge about supporters is because we're a spineless fatalistic bunch who do absolutely nothing to try and make them give a fudge.

You might well be right, but it seems to me that the reason the powers that be don't give a fudge about supporters is because we're a spineless fatalistic bunch who do absolutely nothing to try and make them give a fudge.

It's because the consumer is still finding value in the product.

You’re right, I’m sure barely anyone has been watching Champions League games this past year with all those empty stadiums....

Appreciate the sarcasm, but slightly different situations - temporary, enforced by a disease rather than fan protest, and with no alternatives to watch matches with fans in attendance.

Aren't all restrictions supposed to be disappearing in just two months' time, including attending stadiums in our tens of thousands?

Either way, as a thought experiment pretend we weren't in a pandemic, to humour me - what would you answer be then?

I wouldn’t join any kind of boycott or march. I’m relaxed either way about whether the ESL happens and delighted by Levy’s cunning in getting us in. So probably not the target market for your poll. Not that I’m a viable fan of the future: I never pay to watch televised football and when I go to WHL, on a borrowed membership, I never spend any cash inside the ground. So my support doesn’t really count for much, either way.

It's because the consumer is still finding value in the product.

Sure, but also because consumers aren't willing to get together and try to vote with their feet/wallets to get even more value from the product.

Maybe this kind of debate is always just going to fall into left vs right economic thinking. But I find it weird how people seem to apply that thinking to football whilst ignoring that it is also a sport, not just a business.

To be honest the people who run football do not care even if we were to march more often on any point, i have been around long enough to know that football and the way is supports itself ( money wise) is all about TV money, sponsers, and commercial brick. I am sure that there will be a big number of fans will stop going over this but the powers that be will not worry about that as there will always be day trippers who will take their place.

I won't be watching or any taking any interest.

A shame because I was thinking of trying for a season ticket again but this whole event just leaves me with a sour taste and my distaste for football grows.

Back