• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

There's local elections going on. His 2-3 comments on it yesterday mentioned that it shouldnt go ahead 'based on the current proposals' - so some tinkering and he's fine with it

his latest is that he wants to drop a legislative bomb to block it

side note, how the fudge has Bojo got the time to take such an interest in this

you'd think the pandemic response and the unrest in NI would be a priority

Yeah it's hideous.

Also the idea "We must immediately stop private businesses doing something we don't like" just makes them look like dictator cnuts.

They won't do it because nobody risks their house on what might be

For the remaining clubs
- For about 10 of those, not a fudging thing changes, nothing. Top 6 still top 6 albeit with more money, PL gravy train continues
- For about 4 (Everton, Leicester, West Ham mostly) the chance to become an elite club has died, with the upside of domestic cups probably becoming more winnable.

So anyone thinks 14 clubs are going to destroy the greatest financial model in league football anywhere for the hope that one day, one of them might do a Spurs and break into the elite? fudging never.

That's a cold way of putting things but it's probably true. I'd say that, at heart, they'd do the same thing as Levy did, if they'd been offered the chance. It would make sense for them to break away if they wanted to promote a different, more competitive model but that's a supporter's dream, and an obsolete one, at that. If they were to leave, they'd make the same mistakes again and welcome shady billionaires with open arms, for the same reasons others did before.

So, yes, I think they'll pocket whatever scraps the big six feed them and they'll probably even say 'thanks'. Personally, I find that disgusting but that's the way things are.

Ironically, the game can't even be built back up from the bottom because everyone is glued to their screens these days...

Nah, there was Always going to be outrage, have this up your sleeve as a sop, we listened and made these concessions.

They should have come up with a more comprehensive plan that entailed a full alternative to Uefa and their club tournaments, that still offered tournaments with qualification via domestic league football - if you take Uefa out of the picture that in itself must make the financial pie bigger as they aren't taking their slice of it, which i assume is pretty hefty.

Although i don't know how you marry that up with the desire for the founder clubs to have their closed shop

How long before a second tier is announced, 3-5 years.
Crumbs cast from table for likes of Everton, ajax, Porto, Monaco celtic etc.

No need, that is a UEFA play

Any expansion will affect the revenue of the existing (founding) members, who is going to vote for more games, less money?

The constant expansion and inclusion of non elite teams is what has led us here in the first place

Because you are connecting two things that are in no way aligned.

Zero support if Spurs wasn't there, why would I? this will hurt about 4 clubs, 4 clubs by the way that would/have spit/danced on our grave given a moments chance.

Sorry mate, if the choice is take some ambiguous moral high ground and my family starves (while the same fudgers I'm trying to help/save laugh) or take care of my family first, there is always going to be only one answer.

No, they are absolutely aligned and when it happens you will say, "oh well, this is how sport is run nowadays" and shrug your shoulders, or say "what can we do about it?" That's what the shifty bastards are like, they do things in slow steady increments, it's the old frog in the boiling water scenario.

No, they are absolutely aligned and when it happens you will say, "oh well, this is how sport is run nowadays" and shrug your shoulders, or say "what can we do about it?" That's what the shifty bastards are like, they do things in slow steady increments, it's the old frog in the boiling water scenario.

Mate, it's fear mongering

- In the US, the city builds the stadium, does crazy stupid tax breaks/incentives to attract teams
- Lots of those cities do that because they don't have a top 3 (Baseball/NFL/Basketball) franchise
- Easy to move when the asset (stadium) isn't yours
- Also easy to move 2,000 miles and stay within same country/rules/etc
- In Europe the clubs have sunk cost in the stadiums (we have £1B+), every big city has multiple clubs and no one is going to pay for your new place.

How long before a second tier is announced, 3-5 years.
Crumbs cast from table for likes of Everton, ajax, Porto, Monaco celtic etc.

This is where it will end up and should have been like that from the start, a few league levels including multiple countries and some form of relagation/promotion along with league based qualification and I think most people would probably be happy with that.

They should have come up with a more comprehensive plan that entailed a full alternative to Uefa and their club tournaments, that still offered tournaments with qualification via domestic league football - if you take Uefa out of the picture that in itself must make the financial pie bigger as they aren't taking their slice of it, which i assume is pretty hefty.

Although i don't know how you marry that up with the desire for the founder clubs to have their closed shop

why?

- For decades the FA, FIFA, UEFA and local governments have not addressed these issues

Why the expectation of 12 clubs who's biggest crime is "hey we are going to make our own business model" to fix it?

- Here's the thing no one is proposing, you really don't like ESL? instead of threatening them, trying to expel them, let the fans truly vote and not watch/go see it.

Truth, the reason everyone is bricking their pants is they know this is going to work.

Ah I see the difference. I am stone cold certain we would all be kicked out.

Because commercially, UEFA and FIFA will have to.

Do you know which bit of a pyramid is easiest to replace?

Naive my arse. It’s a civil war.

Bet if they were to survey the season ticker holders 90%+ would be against Derp This is not about the real match going fans at all.

Of course it isn't. Two stakeholder groups not involved at all in any discussions : Fans and players.

On R4 this morning they interviewed two people from overseas Liverpool Supporter Clubs. Both were totally in favour of the ESL, they couldn't have been further removed from the anti feeling amongst fans over here. Match-going fans are an irritating necessity for the clubs, or at least for the higher earning PL clubs.

Bet if they were to survey the season ticker holders 90%+ would be against Derp This is not about the real match going fans at all.

Of course it isn't - trouble is match going fans generate X amount and have a small growth potential, worldwide TV audiences generate far greater than X and have an even greater growth potential, so clubs are obviously going to chase after the latter.

Of course it isn't - trouble is match going fans generate X amount and have a small growth potential, worldwide TV audiences generate far greater than X and have an even greater growth potential, so clubs are obviously going to chase after the latter.

....and match going fans will still turn up. Ok. maybe 20% will be turned off, but we have 80k people on the ST wiating list so those seats are easily filled

Back