• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

That is a rather flippant comment Scara.

There isn’t really too much right about this other than the money and (for 14 clubs including our own) the fact that we are part of this private members club. Had we been on the outside of this we would’ve been spewing about it. The timing of this is perfect for Spurs in terms of being invited to this competition, had we not had those 5 years of Pochettino then we would’ve probably been outside of Derp

I have little love for the entity that is the PL and even less love for UEFA and FIFA respectively. I was longing for the day when a group of clubs/nations challenged them and derailed their gravy train. However the closed shop nature of this is not good for competitive football. I get that football hasn’t been particularly competitive for the past 20+ years anyway but from my perspective the solution to that is not to bring in a structure that makes it even less competitive. In many ways the comparative might of the PL versus the Champions League/Europa League was starting to make things a little more competitive in England, where even smaller clubs like West Ham and Leicester can outspend large European clubs like Seville or Roma so get close to competing with the big boys (especially with the 25 man squad rule and their team being fresher due to far less games).

I think the ESL need to rethink their proposal to ensure at the very least that there are more merit based positions available.

I wonder whether the ESL have shot themselves in the foot somewhat here.... it would have been interesting to see this same proposal put forward without the guaranteed entry. That would’ve removed the ‘not competitive’ argument. Of course we would have seen UEFA arguing anyway as their golden goose was being attacked, but the ESL would’ve potentially have had fans onside. Playing the long game and taking on and beating UEFA before closing up shop somewhat at a later date may have been a better success tactic for the ESL.

who the fudge cares about the non competitive argument mate?

- Spurs could literally not fudging play in the PL next year and make more money than PL +CL
- Billions will fudging lineup to see Real, United, Pool, Spurs, etc play each other without having to be explained who/what/where club x came from in the competition
- How long you think people are going to protest? 2 weeks, 2 months?

The clubs don't need "legacy" supporters onside

I can't wait for us to lock up Kane, Son on better contracts and buy a couple of good buys, see us line up against Madrid and see who protests ..

- How long you think people are going to protest? 2 weeks, 2 months?

Certainly agree with this. After a while, it'll blow over for fans of the 12-15 teams

There's reports that the other 14 PL teams will kick the 6 english ESL teams out today. That would be a mistake IMO and just increase the chances of a compromise being found

That will be the problem of those clubs and a problem of their owners making. It won’t be FIFA’s concern, they’ll be busy creating plans to disrupt and counter the detrimental impact of the super league.

And it really will not take long for the interest and support of the remaining clubs to swell as their relative success takes a Great Leap Forward.

It’s all set for the ultimate death spiral to clubs whose poor financial models have led them to this place. I hope that explains my underlying position on my main objections to this from a Spurs perspective.

Sorry mate, but all you have said makes zero business sense.

1. These 12 will not leave their leagues, so no one new is going to win their local leagues (it will be less competitive than ever as these clubs will have 3X-5X the revenue of the rest)
2. The opportunity for fame (as you are indicating) is winning a now 3rd rate European competition against minows? (Sevilla has won the Europa leagues repeatedly, has it really improved them? and that was with genuine competition)

When you buy a business, often you are buying the brand, that is what the Superleague is doing, buying the best football brands in the world that took decades to establish themselves. A couple of years of a 8th place league team winning a crock pot version of the CL is not going to make that brand desirable to a world audience.

Add in to this equation, the amount of promotion that will come with this new Superleague, it will dwarf the others instantly.

Certainly agree with Derp After a while, it'll blow over for fans of the 12-15 teams

There's reports that the other 14 PL teams will kick the 6 english ESL teams out today. That would be a mistake IMO and just increase the chances of a compromise being found

they can't, they require 75% vote, i.e. 15 clubs, guess what? conveniently the ESL has invited 6, 6 from 20? people honestly think this hasn't been thought out?

there is no compromise, it's done, PL will have a grumble, life will go on.

they can't, they require 75% vote, i.e. 15 clubs, guess what? conveniently the ESL has invited 6, 6 from 20? people honestly think this hasn't been thought out?

there is no compromise, it's done, PL will have a grumble, life will go on.

Someone posted the rules yesterday and it said that 2/3 approval was needed for this, so 14 of 20 teams

Using weasel worded phrases like "Some on here..." should be a source of embarrassment.

If you're that narked about it, give that combover a flip and go for it all, Gilly. Name and shame.

Read the comments, Its self evident. Anyway I'm not going to trawel back over the posts. You do it if your that triggered.

I don't want it trashed into some American franchise sport where teams play each other ten times a season and by the way, where your team moves cities. Anyone fancy that, how about San Fransisco Spurs? This is what is to come if these clams get their way?

I don't want it trashed into some American franchise sport where teams play each other ten times a season and by the way, where your team moves cities. Anyone fancy that, how about San Fransisco Spurs? This is what is to come if these clams get their way?

I'm not from London originally, I don't go that often, it's not a deal breaker for me.

I follow an NFL team that has me watching games in the middle of the night anyway, I've only seen them play live in a stadium once. There are plenty of people like me.

On that, if they can put together a paid streaming service like the NFL have with Gamepass that would be great, it's almost perfect.

No way are kicking anyone out, sky won't allow it apart from anything else.
When sky "super Sunday" is reading vs Norwich, Bolton vs Burnley and Southampton vs Brighton how many subscribers do you think they will have?
Especially when Google are showing Liverpool vs Real Madrid, Tottenham vs inter and man United vs Barcelona.

Kick them out and it opens up weekend games and put them in direct competition.

hmmm interesting. I cant remember who posted the link and quote yesterday - maybe there was another rule which they would potentially have been in breach of, and which needed a 70% approval, though this one as you say gives more comfort

if it's only 75% why the hell have we not thrown Liverpool out yet?

When sky "super Sunday" is reading vs Norwich, Bolton vs Burnley and Southampton vs Brighton how many subscribers do you think they will have?
Especially when Google are showing Liverpool vs Real Madrid, Tottenham vs inter and man United vs Barcelona.

Usurper Sunday

15 clubs, eh? Ripe for someone to renege on the ESL and fudge the other 5 out of the PL.

I think the worst thing which the other 14 teams could do is ratcheting things up. Similarly re UEFA threats to kick teams out of the CL and EL semis next week. WOuld just accelerate planning for the ESL to begin in August

How is "this is what is to come"?

The motives of this league are very simple
- Owners want protection on their investment
- They want more say in how competitions are run (e.g. bricky scheduling, poor officiating, etc.)
- They see more commercial value in playing against known brands vs. backwater teams

None of the above translates into "moving clubs to different cities" (that happens in US because Cities pay/incent franchises to do so), nor does it translate into 4 quarter games, glorified friendlies or whatever other scare mongering that people without legitimate arguments can come up with.

That is a rather flippant comment Scara.

There isn’t really too much right about this other than the money and (for 14 clubs including our own) the fact that we are part of this private members club. Had we been on the outside of this we would’ve been spewing about it. The timing of this is perfect for Spurs in terms of being invited to this competition, had we not had those 5 years of Pochettino then we would’ve probably been outside of Derp

I have little love for the entity that is the PL and even less love for UEFA and FIFA respectively. I was longing for the day when a group of clubs/nations challenged them and derailed their gravy train. However the closed shop nature of this is not good for competitive football. I get that football hasn’t been particularly competitive for the past 20+ years anyway but from my perspective the solution to that is not to bring in a structure that makes it even less competitive. In many ways the comparative might of the PL versus the Champions League/Europa League was starting to make things a little more competitive in England, where even smaller clubs like West Ham and Leicester can outspend large European clubs like Seville or Roma so get close to competing with the big boys (especially with the 25 man squad rule and their team being fresher due to far less games).

I think the ESL need to rethink their proposal to ensure at the very least that there are more merit based positions available.

I wonder whether the ESL have shot themselves in the foot somewhat here.... it would have been interesting to see this same proposal put forward without the guaranteed entry. That would’ve removed the ‘not competitive’ argument. Of course we would have seen UEFA arguing anyway as their golden goose was being attacked, but the ESL would’ve potentially have had fans onside. Playing the long game and taking on and beating UEFA before closing up shop somewhat at a later date may have been a better success tactic for the ESL.
The guaranteed founder participation is the thing that I think is the main difference to the qualification aspect, maybe heightened in our league as the usual top 6 has changed recently - I wonder if they could have used co efficient points and then give an immediate boost to the founders, then just keep rolling them over for participating as a way of keeping it an unofficial closed shop? This is basically being explored in the CL already, to far little outcry. Maybe a viable pathway that if a club does well domestically, ‘qualifies’ for the ESL and then obtains a level of co efficient points by performance to overtake a founder goes give a similar amount of hope to regular CL, they could be invited as a founder and expand the league in this instance?

I think the worst thing which the other 14 teams could do is ratcheting things up. Similarly re UEFA threats to kick teams out of the CL and EL semis next week. WOuld just accelerate planning for the ESL to begin in August
I was joshing. I have no idea what the right thing to do here is.

I would say that neutrals care more about the teams/players than they do the size of the clubs involved - no reason why those Super Sunday line ups wouldn't work if they are the clubs that thrive in the new system and build the best teams - but that is dependant on the SL being a flop and not hoarding all the best players.

Lets not fool ourselves either that beyond Liverpool and United the rest of the 6 are a big enough draw to skew things

Back