• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

The ESL isn't a competition. It's a set of high profile friendlies.

Given the PL have a clause about clubs only playing other competitions with written permission of the board, they might have to be designated friendlies.

What effect will this have on the Everton's, Leicester's, and say Villa's of this world?

With their new stadium plans, Everton might be most impacted.

What effect will this have on the Everton's, Leicester's, and say Villa's of this world?
Clearly a detrimental one, rather big detrimental effect would be my guess.

Bit clubs grabbing more at the expense of those below them. Even though it's not a zero sum game there's clearly a cost, and that will be the highest for those teams closest to the top, but just outside.

I suppose the response to this proposal comes from how you read it.

a) it’s just a new competition to replace the champions league.

b) this is a power grab by some of the biggest clubs in the game to seize control of the sport for financial gain.

To me it’s obviously b). The consequences are also obvious in that it will be civil war between those big club owners and everyone else led by FIFA and UEFA. And it also leads to a new code of football run by an organisation that is a rival to FIFA who will want to protect their game and their structures as they are the current custodians of the game.

The 12 clubs will be persona non grata and pushed outside of fifa. Out of the leagues and lose all the power they had within those bodies.

I am absolutely certain we are on the wrong side of this.

b) this is a power grab by some of the biggest clubs in the game to seize control of the sport for financial gain.

To me it’s obviously b). The consequences are also obvious in that it will be civil war between those big club owners and everyone else led by FIFA and UEFA. And it also leads to a new code of football run by an organisation that is a rival to FIFA who will want to protect their game and their structures as they are the current custodians of the game.

The 12 clubs will be persona non grata and pushed outside of fifa. Out of the leagues and lose all the power they had within those bodies.

I am absolutely certain we are on the wrong side of Derp

Our bank manager would probably disagree with you!

I am absolutely certain we are on the wrong side of Derp
I think it's a bit early for absolute certainty on how this pans out. Would be a huge move by those domestic leagues to kick out those teams.

A rather interesting and strange outcome would be if clubs of some leagues are kicked out while clubs in other leagues are allowed to stay. Then what?

At least if everyone is kicked out they will have the chance to just ramp the competition up to a full league system. But if some are still in domestic competitions while others aren't?

Given the PL have a clause about clubs only playing other competitions with written permission of the board, they might have to be designated friendlies.

that would possibly change my opinion, perception is important

I think the PL board are likely to cede to the wishes of the big 6 though

If FIFA kicks clubs out of their domestic leagues, then the SL would likely just invite more teams: Everton, Lazio, Napoli, Seville dare I say West Ham. Until they have a Super League 2 and the PL doesn't have any teams left.

Then start their own national tournament...

However, I personally don't think teams will be kicked out, I think it's just a knee-jerk thing to say by FIFA/UEFA as they don't have a more sophisticated argument.

They are done, lets play this out (and why Spurs fans should back this)

- Arsenal, United & Pool made a damn near impossible gap on the basis of CL money (anywhere between 30-100M/yr)
- Spurs (as founding member) will make ~500M in the first year (somewhere between 5-10 years CL return in one year)
- The top 6 will have that money +PL money
- No top player is going to want to be out of this comp, there is literally zero chance of playing the best unless included.

Everton, Leicester, Villa, West Ham will become feeder clubs that no longer would even be interesting for buyouts (closed shop to the real money)

The other thing I find amazing is people who think this is a negotiation tactic or won't really happen, again, details

- All the clubs have resigned from the ECA (European club association)
- Several of those clubs had staff on the board of UEFA, they have all resigned
- The clubs have signed a 23 year (yes, 23 years) commitment to this
- JPMC has come out and said they are the money (banks are notoriously risk adverse and won't take the bad PR for a "gamble")
- the untouchables (e.g. Madrid) leadership is publicly stating it's on.

This is done, the silver lining is we are in ..

If FIFA kicks clubs out of their domestic leagues, then the SL would likely just invite more teams: Everton, Lazio, Napoli, Seville dare I say West Ham. Until they have a Super League 2 and the PL doesn't have any teams left.

Then start their own national tournament...

However, I personally don't think teams will be kicked out, I think it's just a knee-jerk thing to say by FIFA/UEFA as they don't have a more sophisticated argument.

Their is zero chance of kicking out anyone

- The PL is nothing without United & Pool, far less all top 6 (what product are you going to sell, how are you going to meet advertiser/sponsor expectations on money already paid?)
- What is the basis for expulsion? you don't like that they switched a CL for something else? so you are going to attempt to inflict business affecting punishment? welcome to legal hell, a 3rd rate lawyer would destroy that all day long

Most of the tradionalists that are against it that I can see are the boys day out for a drink and a knees up. Little to do with actual football.
There has been no suggestions of of the mad rule changes or variations that have been imposed on cricket or are trying to be imposed on golf to "widen their appeal".
It's a dilution of the lads culture they are railing against.
The gentrification of football has been slow but steady. There's still some more good work to do but this is another step in the right direction.

There are no simple answers.
But FIFA and UEFA have much to answer for.

Not just FIFA, UEFA and the FA, here's some simple questions

- Where was this global outrage for racism, corruption, concussions in the sport?
- Why did no one at the FA/UEFA listen to what these clubs (their source of money)?
- Why have (in the PL) top clubs (private business) supported lower league clubs for years (now the government wants to have a say?)
- Why has not a single supporter, supporters club or the government acknowledged the money pressure the clubs are under due to Covid and offered an alternative?

These clubs are acting in their best interest, but that's what they are meant to do .. if you constantly fudge over the goose that lays your golden again, just fudging maybe it will fly away.

I’ll tell him that and see his reaction
Thsi is two Everton fans and two Spurs fans
We have all said we would bin out season tickets in the new world and enjoy a few overseas games like Derp Much more fun. No stress and a quality time

Me and my friend will be doing the same. Also more non league around Sussex. Interestingly a few of the young lads at work want to come and watch non league football as well.

Great post, but it can be simplified more than that.

If the "jumpers fer goalposts" lot hate something this much, there must be something right about it.
That is a rather flippant comment Scara.

There isn’t really too much right about this other than the money and (for 14 clubs including our own) the fact that we are part of this private members club. Had we been on the outside of this we would’ve been spewing about it. The timing of this is perfect for Spurs in terms of being invited to this competition, had we not had those 5 years of Pochettino then we would’ve probably been outside of this.

I have little love for the entity that is the PL and even less love for UEFA and FIFA respectively. I was longing for the day when a group of clubs/nations challenged them and derailed their gravy train. However the closed shop nature of this is not good for competitive football. I get that football hasn’t been particularly competitive for the past 20+ years anyway but from my perspective the solution to that is not to bring in a structure that makes it even less competitive. In many ways the comparative might of the PL versus the Champions League/Europa League was starting to make things a little more competitive in England, where even smaller clubs like West Ham and Leicester can outspend large European clubs like Seville or Roma so get close to competing with the big boys (especially with the 25 man squad rule and their team being fresher due to far less games).

I think the ESL need to rethink their proposal to ensure at the very least that there are more merit based positions available.

I wonder whether the ESL have shot themselves in the foot somewhat here.... it would have been interesting to see this same proposal put forward without the guaranteed entry. That would’ve removed the ‘not competitive’ argument. Of course we would have seen UEFA arguing anyway as their golden goose was being attacked, but the ESL would’ve potentially have had fans onside. Playing the long game and taking on and beating UEFA before closing up shop somewhat at a later date may have been a better success tactic for the ESL.

There isn’t really too much right about this other than the money and (for 14 clubs including our own) the fact that we are part of this private members club. Had we been on the outside of this we would’ve been spewing about it. The timing of this is perfect for Spurs in terms of being invited to this competition, had we not had those 5 years of Pochettino then we would’ve probably been outside of Derp

I have little love for the entity that is the PL and even less love for UEFA and FIFA respectively. I was longing for the day when a group of clubs/nations challenged them and derailed their gravy train. However the closed shop nature of this is not good for competitive football. I get that football hasn’t been particularly competitive for the past 20+ years anyway but from my perspective the solution to that is not to bring in a structure that makes it even less competitive. In many ways the comparative might of the PL versus the Champions League/Europa League was starting to make things a little more competitive in England, where even smaller clubs like West Ham and Leicester can outspend large European clubs like Seville or Roma so get close to competing with the big boys (especially with the 25 man squad rule and their team being fresher due to far less games).

I think the ESL need to rethink their proposal to ensure at the very least that there are more merit based positions available.
I want to see the best players playing against the best players and I want Spurs to be involved in that. This makes that more likely to happen than not, so it is a good thing.

I don't support Leicester, Everton or West Ham. Outside of them supplying us with their best players I have no interest in what happens to them.

I wonder whether the ESL have shot themselves in the foot somewhat here.... it would have been interesting to see this same proposal put forward without the guaranteed entry. That would’ve removed the ‘not competitive’ argument. Of course we would have seen UEFA arguing anyway as their golden goose was being attacked, but the ESL would’ve potentially have had fans onside. Playing the long game and taking on and beating UEFA before closing up shop somewhat at a later date may have been a better success tactic for the ESL.
Allowing for clubs to fall out of the structure means that we're less able to rely on future income and spend against it. See my first point about wanting to see the best players, etc.

There isn’t really too much right about this other than the money and (for 14 clubs including our own) the fact that we are part of this private members club. Had we been on the outside of this we would’ve been spewing about it. The timing of this is perfect for Spurs in terms of being invited to this competition, had we not had those 5 years of Pochettino then we would’ve probably been outside of Derp

We would be sick, mostly through jealousy though.

The protections this offers the 12 are the USP, that's the main reason we jump from UEFA.

I think it's a bit early for absolute certainty on how this pans out. Would be a huge move by those domestic leagues to kick out those teams.

A rather interesting and strange outcome would be if clubs of some leagues are kicked out while clubs in other leagues are allowed to stay. Then what?

At least if everyone is kicked out they will have the chance to just ramp the competition up to a full league system. But if some are still in domestic competitions while others aren't?

That will be the problem of those clubs and a problem of their owners making. It won’t be FIFA’s concern, they’ll be busy creating plans to disrupt and counter the detrimental impact of the super league.

And it really will not take long for the interest and support of the remaining clubs to swell as their relative success takes a Great Leap Forward.

It’s all set for the ultimate death spiral to clubs whose poor financial models have led them to this place. I hope that explains my underlying position on my main objections to this from a Spurs perspective.

Back