• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

I think we shouldn't rush into an appointment, take the time to properly research and think not just about the manager but also the structure. We do need a DOF style role to embed a way of playing and oversee recruitment which has been poor the last few years.

I don't know much about Negelsmann but I read in this thread many pages back that we should be careful of just going down the German route of high pressing etc as all styles evolve and it will likely be overtaken in time. A manager who can press but also keep possession will be needed, particularly if this SL comes off with all the extra travel and games.

I do really like the look of Tuchel, still early days but looks like he'll do a good job.

I think we shouldn't rush into an appointment, take the time to properly research and think not just about the manager but also the structure. We do need a DOF style role to embed a way of playing and oversee recruitment which has been poor the last few years.

I don't know much about Negelsmann but I read in this thread many pages back that we should be careful of just going down the German route of high pressing etc as all styles evolve and it will likely be overtaken in time. A manager who can press but also keep possession will be needed, particularly if this SL comes off with all the extra travel and games.

I do really like the look of Tuchel, still early days but looks like he'll do a good job.

I support a DoF too, though we have Hitchin in a somewhat similar role, and TBD whether there's a gap for a DoF with our current personnel in their current roles

In terms of manager, I'm sure Levy has been thinking about this since Mourinho was appointed, and will think about the next guy's successor from the moment the next guy is appointed! That said, his thoughts must have accelerated earlier this year, so they'll already be well advanced.

Any decision has risk and only a given % chance of succeeding so once you've done 'enough' work, then you need to act. I expect Levy's alreayd at that point where he knows who he wants

And that in turn shows a bigger issue
I’ll use Potter again as reference...
He beat Pochs Tottenham side and also Jose’s side. Arguably that’s better than beating a weakened side in a bad period.
But Nagelsmann is the trendy progressive name, so if sells

You also have to make allowances for Nagelsmann adjusting to the UK and the league. Potter seems like he's under the radar and actually an excellent manager. Just an instinct I don't really know much about him - other than he worked his way up from nothing. Not a known persona, it is just his results in Sweden or wherever that have got him to where he is. To me that signals someone worth shortlisting.

No there is no time to waste with the ESL likely to be starting in August.

We need to appoint Ocampos as SD and Nagelsmann as HC ASAP and immediately get to work upgrading the squad.

Bastoni, Skriniar and Konate should all be signed as our new centre backs and we should get Icardi or Aguero to give Kane competition.

If we were to hire Nagelsmann (and he would be my choice), we would obviously have to put someone like Chris Hughton and/or Ryan Mason next to him.

And that in turn shows a bigger issue
I’ll use Potter again as reference...
He beat Pochs Tottenham side and also Jose’s side. Arguably that’s better than beating a weakened side in a bad period.
But Nagelsmann is the trendy progressive name, so if sells

For me both Potter and Nagelsmann are quite trendy progressive names. Both can end up failing when they get a bigger job with different expectations and conditions. Like many have before them after doing well initially and looking trendy and progressive. Both could push on to become great managers, like very few have before. I like both, neither is perfect.

For me Nagelsmann has more experience working with bigger names, better players, higher expectations and multiple competitions. Also with making very talented players even better. Potter obviously has PL experience, but we've seen that the step up from a relegation candidate to a top four candidate wannabe title challenger is massive. Just like the step from near the top in a different league to the PL can be difficult.

For me personally Nagelsmann seems like the best candidate right now, but I'm not fully on board the hype train. After him I think there's a host of other names that should be on the list, so far for me in no particular order.

If we were to hire Nagelsmann (and he would be my choice), we would obviously have to put someone like Chris Hughton and/or Ryan Mason next to him.

I'm not sure that really works. Hughton with Jol was probably the best example; but Hughton, Clive Allen, Poyet, Freund and King never really blossomed/ended up tarnished with most managers they worked under.

I think let the new manager bring in his core 3-4 first team coaches, while letting Mason and King continue with the youth teams. If they show real ability, they'll then follow the Scott Parker route.

The new manager can then start with a team he has 100% trust in, and doesn't need to worry about the additional politics of a potential stooge. If a genuine bond then later develops (Mason possibly would have been promoted into the core team in time under Poch), then all good.

Rumours abound on Google that Eddie howe will be announced shortly.
So I'm told.
Can't see it myself, but there you go.

It means either the main target is in a job and won't leave to the end of the season or Levy is still looking at options. Either way it's not narrowing it down to only Nagelsmann or Rodgers

Levy will know who he wants.

I think its tells you that his preferred target is in a job and with something left to play for. That rules out Allegri, Benitez, Howe and a few others who could have come in now

Back