• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

I wonder if this league, if it goes ahead, will have rebranding like Super League Rugby did or like US Football, so we might see

Barcelona Dragons
Emirates Marketing Project Chiefs
Liverpool Stealers (see what i did there?)
Chelsea Cheetahs (and there?)
Real Madrid Raiders
and depending if we end up in bed with a US Football team, Tottenham Hotspur Talons

FTFY.

Still horrific.

Using weasel worded phrases like "Some on here..." should be a source of embarrassment.

If you're that narked about it, give that combover a flip and go for it all, Gilly. Name and shame.

There is SO MUCH to come with all of Derp Lots of posturing and brinksmanship. The thing that gets me are the "soul of football gone" voices. Realistically, that soul was dying for decades. Look at the Prem. Look around.

I think this is ugly and vulgar, but much in today's society is.

The main question becomes will you stop supporting/watching THFC? I wish my principles were strong enough to overcome my addiction. They weren't in '92 and they won't be now. Sad but true.

This is the problem, clubs know that fans don't change team and generally sick with them whatever the circumstances so as a result we get shafted knowing there's nothing we can do. Sure they'll be lots of angry banners and comments for a bit but ultimately fans are forced to suck it up - it's been clear for years that clubs don't really care for their fans at all. I mean this was launched with no consultation and not a single English owner has made a comment yet.

To be honest since Covid I've definitely lost interest in football, feels like it's on non stop and I can't be bothered to keep up with it all. I think when life gets back to normal and not every game is on TV that will change but there's definitely football fatigue going on.

To be honest. I've never been as bored with football as I have been in the last year.
I barely watched anything beyond Tottenham and Ireland.
I couldn't care less which of the other teams won the league.
With any Super League at least it will be different for a few seasons.

Agree with this. Beyond Spurs, I dont watch much (some CL perhaps) and really dont care who wins other trophies

Some on here are embarrassing. Supporting the ESL cause well we're in the same class as the big kids. How small time is that?

Well, if you accept that its happening, then you want to be on the inside. I'm not sure that the status quo is a realistic outcome

There is SO MUCH to come with all of Derp Lots of posturing and brinksmanship. The thing that gets me are the "soul of football gone" voices. Realistically, that soul was dying for decades. Look at the Prem. Look around.

The main question becomes will you stop supporting/watching THFC? I wish my principles were strong enough to overcome my addiction. They weren't in '92 and they won't be now. Sad but true.

There's a lot of what I consider empty phrases being thrown around.
Soul of the game, traditions, stealing our game, all gonad*s as far as I'm concerned.
What soul? Its win at any cost. Money doped clubs, doped players, cheats and liars. That's a rotten soul.
Tradition, well I went to games 40 years ago and if that's the tradition they want to go back to they can stick it.
It hasn't been our game since the first person handed over his coin to watch a game.

And ultimately that is what we are talking about, how the game is watched.
I pay to watch Tottenham Hotspur play football. Whether its sky, bt, BBC or a dodgy stream. Other than the dodgy stream I'm being fleeced by each and every one of them. I don't care who they are playing or in what competition.
Does the competition really matter? Not to me.
VAR, which I'm not against if done right, is a bigger farce and danger to "the game" than this.
The game isn't changing, it's only who is making money out of it that is.

There's a lot of what I consider empty phrases being thrown around.
Soul of the game, traditions, stealing our game, all gonad*s as far as I'm concerned.
What soul? Its win at any cost. Money doped clubs, doped players, cheats and liars. That's a rotten soul.
Tradition, well I went to games 40 years ago and if that's the tradition they want to go back to they can stick it.
It hasn't been our game since the first person handed over his coin to watch a game.

And ultimately that is what we are talking about, how the game is watched.
I pay to watch Tottenham Hotspur play football. Whether its sky, bt, BBC or a dodgy stream. Other than the dodgy stream I'm being fleeced by each and every one of them. I don't care who they are playing or in what competition.
Does the competition really matter? Not to me.
VAR, which I'm not against if done right, is a bigger farce and danger to "the game" than Derp
The game isn't changing, it's only who is making money out of it that is.
Great post, but it can be simplified more than that.

If the "jumpers fer goalposts" lot hate something this much, there must be something right about it.

> The game isn't changing, it's only who is making money out of it that is.

Not true at all. I don’t understand how you or anyone can hold this opinion.

This is the problem, clubs know that fans don't change team and generally sick with them whatever the circumstances so as a result we get shafted knowing there's nothing we can do. Sure they'll be lots of angry banners and comments for a bit but ultimately fans are forced to suck it up - it's been clear for years that clubs don't really care for their fans at all. I mean this was launched with no consultation and not a single English owner has made a comment yet.

To be honest since Covid I've definitely lost interest in football, feels like it's on non stop and I can't be bothered to keep up with it all. I think when life gets back to normal and not every game is on TV that will change but there's definitely football fatigue going on.

I agree, but I’m always frustrated that fans don’t make more of our collective power. If hundreds of thousands of fans of the big six got together and marched, saying that we’d all boycott ESL games, that might make the owners think twice. I doubt the ESL will be an attractive product with half empty stadiums.

Then again I could imagine a world where the clubs bring ticket prices down enough to ensure a full stadium of casual ‘fans’, with the loss of revenue offset by the TV money, and with stadium sound piped in for every match to hide the fact that no one is making any noise!

> The game isn't changing, it's only who is making money out of it that is.

Not true at all. I don’t understand how you or anyone can hold this opinion.

The game, what happens on the pitch, what's changing?

What traditions do you want to keep from 30 years ago, pre PL?

Why should you? (hold on, we are going to have a pragmatic conversation)

- This is good for Spurs, very good in fact
- The impact on the leagues is overhyped at best (most of the top leagues are already closed shops with a very occasional exception that doesn't make it stick). The biggest impact is likely killing any more Chelsea/City type investments (they won't get piece of pot, so no point)
- Football (to your point) is not some pure thing that is suddenly being tarnished, not sure it ever was (if it was, that was decades ago)

More so

- The FA (lasagne, stadium, scheduling, etc.), UEFA (our 4th but not CL, swapping home and away to benefit Arsenal) are corrupt organizations that have done nothing but try to hinder Spurs every step of the way.

Additionally, and people miss this

- We earned our spot, we have scrapped, grafted, been lucky and unlucky, invested our own money to build a stadium, facilities, brand, players and the club as a top 10 club in world football. That got us invite.

Trickle down economics will save football. :rolleyes:

Ever considered cutting costs instead? The one thing football doesn't need is more money. People will always watch or play.

I can see an argument that if we were not involved in this and could somehow be part of a resistance that caused it to crash some of these clubs might have failed and disappeared, but I don’t think it’s realistic.

The clubs are all too big to fail.

Back