• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

What this shows is that the clubs do not give a fudge for the rusted on fans. It is all about the emerging nations such as India and China and their fan Boi mentality. These people will be happy to watch Yanited play Real every other week, because they have not bought into European football culture. You see it with 'fans' showing up to support Ronaldo rather than United or Son rather than Spurs etc.

I cant believe that a vote of 14 teams would be enough to kick a club out. I'd expect it to take a higher threshold than that

Who would vote to kick them out?

You think the bottom 14 clubs are going to say no, I don't want a share of the revenue United & Pool (alone) bring to the table?

I cant believe that a vote of 14 teams would be enough to kick a club out. I'd expect it to take a higher threshold than that

"Clubs have the opportunity to propose new rules or amendments at the Shareholder meeting. Each Member Club is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of at least a two-thirds vote, or 14 clubs, to be agreed."

https://www.premierleague.com/about#:~:text=Each Member Club is entitled,14 clubs, to be agreed.

Kicking a club out is probably a different kettle of fish but they can put in a rule that you can't play for non fifa sanctioned tournaments going by the above

For sure, much as it's disgusting if it's going to happen it's better we're in than out. In a way Levy has done well here, we are the only team in it who has pretty much won nothing for 30 years.

So this is what the special relationship was all about with florentino perez being the president of the esl!

This is the logical conclusion of money swamping the game and let's not forget that this is how the Premier League started with the 'elite' clubs threatening a complete break with the football League. If this happens, it will be over and out for me regarding Spurs, the end of a love affair that began in 1967.

I must admit that is how i am feeling at the moment, nearly 60 years of supporting us and i am starting to think that time has come. Spoke to a lot of S/T holders since yesterday and the feeling among them is not good just now either.

The players are contracted to the clubs, they probably can't turn around and tell the club they're not playing.
Can see a lot of solicitors becoming very rich over Derp

I don't think that is enforceable. It looks like restraint of trade to me

Sadly with the lack of financial control of the EPL this ESL was inevitably.
English Premier-league own goal!

"Clubs have the opportunity to propose new rules or amendments at the Shareholder meeting. Each Member Club is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of at least a two-thirds vote, or 14 clubs, to be agreed."

https://www.premierleague.com/about#:~:text=Each Member Club is entitled,14 clubs, to be agreed.

Kicking a club out is probably a different kettle of fish but they can put in a rule that you can't play for non fifa sanctioned tournaments going by the above

impressive digging, and I agree with your view. Could be interesting!

Sadly with the lack of financial control of the EPL this ESL was inevitably.
English Premier-league own goal!

FA & UEFA both

- The feedback has been clear for sometime now, the money makers (top clubs) want more control and less risk

The problem is arrogance, same as the supporters, the clubs have alternatives, they might not want to use them but hand forced now.

It will be a PR nightmare for a couple of months, no way you have basically consensus from the top clubs in world football to take that on if the details weren't done.

United, Barca far and away the most affected by Covid, but we're also pretty high on the list. And this probably doesn't factor in all the non-footballing gigs we had planned.

View attachment 11656

Can't seem to imbed the graphic. In short:

Barca were at 740m revenue and dropped to 627
United at 627 dropped to 509
Us - 460 dropped to 390

As a % of revenue, we are probably one of the worst affected clubs.

Last edited:
Notice the official title is the “Super League” (no mention of Europe). Can see top Asian, US and/or South American teams having occasional entrants.

I personally think we tolerate a lot in football that is already crap:

> Champions League format worse than 3 individual cups.

> CL money & oil money creating a divide.

> All PL matches not even on TV

> Needing 3 service providers to watch those matches that are.

> Sky having too much power.

> Too many pointless internationals / friendlies

> UEFA/FIFA run by stuffy old guys stuck in the past.

-

Hopefully as a silver lining the SL will break some of those. For me, a super league of sorts is inevitable, so happy we are in it.

Last edited:
Notice the official title is “The Super League” (no mention of Europe). Can see top Asian, US and/or South American teams having occasional entrants.

I personally think we tolerate a lot in football that is already crap:

> Champions League format worse than 3 individual cups.

> CL money & oil money creating a divide.

> All PL matches not even on TV

> Needing 3 service providers to watch those matches that are.

> Sky having too much power.

> Too many pointless internationals / friendlies

> UEFA/FIFA run by stuffy old guys stuck in the past.

-

Hopefully as a silver lining the SL will break some of those. For me, a super league of sorts is inevitable, so happy we are in it.

That would be great.

And as you point out, this barely moves the needle.

So serious question for some people

- What makes CL (another rebranded, commercial piece of brick) so much more legitimate than Superleague? to the point where you are questioning Spurs participation or your support?

Am I the only one that sees only upside?

- My club is taken care of for the next 23 years financially
- I get home and away games against Europe's elite (no more unknown sides in the middle of nowhere)

What is the protest? some kind of sense of integrity (with FA/PL/UEFA/CL?)? you think West Ham/Everton/Burnley would sacrifice a dollar of potential revenue for the betterment of Spurs? yet you expect our owners to do something for the league/pyramid?

The arguments seem quite pretentious honestly but open to a discussion

Closed competition with participation based on market cap / gross revenue.

Revolting stuff.
Same goes for the apologist brick to be read in this very thread.

So serious question for some people

- What makes CL (another rebranded, commercial piece of brick) so much more legitimate than Superleague? to the point where you are questioning Spurs participation or your support?

Am I the only one that sees only upside?

- My club is taken care of for the next 23 years financially
- I get home and away games against Europe's elite (no more unknown sides in the middle of nowhere)

What is the protest? some kind of sense of integrity (with FA/PL/UEFA/CL?)? you think West Ham/Everton/Burnley would sacrifice a dollar of potential revenue for the betterment of Spurs? yet you expect our owners to do something for the league/pyramid?

The arguments seem quite pretentious honestly but open to a discussion
I don't like the Champions League either but it's better than this. I believe only the champions should compete in the CL. Change the UEFA Cup back to how it was ( and it would be a stronger competition again) and put s bit of prestige back into the domestic cups. That's how I'd want it.

Back