• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

If players with ESL clubs are to be banned from FIFA sanctioned events, what happens with refs, linos, match officials, stewards, ball boys, stadium personnel, TV talent and crews, etc., etc who work at ESL matches?

Well Stop! Hammer time mate, but for sure its no longer the game i fell in love with all those years ago.
I don't think there's much of an age gap with us, but we are on the way out mate, and new markets and audiences need to be attracted.
That's where the money is.
I read a lot on here saying they can't wait to take their kids to the lane for their first games, how many would have done that when we were lads?
That's what the audience this is targeted at.

I don't think there's much of an age gap with us, but we are on the way out mate, and new markets and audiences need to be attracted.
That's where the money is.
I read a lot on here saying they can't wait to take their kids to the lane for their first games, how many would have done that when we were lads?
That's what the audience this is targeted at.

I have no doubt you are correct about that, but i think it will be the end of the road for a lot of fans who have been traveling around watching our great club. Sad because its been a BIG part of my life.

Yep, same problem FA has

- Already signed tv rights deals owners would argue some kind of fair expectation of the teams/players that would participate.

So not only would they be fudged from a viewership perspective (who would watch Euro B team comp?), they would be open to legal lawsuits from both the players/teams and sponsors?

UEFA could get sued out of existence on this one.

They could literally get sued 'out of existience' I agree. I'm sure the TV companies will have an angle in their agreements, and even if they dont sue UEFA or the PL, they'll negotiate a lower payment...which means less flows to the clubs, which puts clubs under threat.

One of the many reasons why I dont think UEFA or the PL hold any cards, and will be looking for a face-saving way out of this

If players with ESL clubs are to be banned from FIFA sanctioned events, what happens with refs, linos, match officials, stewards, ball boys, stadium personnel, TV talent and crews, etc., etc who work at ESL matches?

Officials - poached by the ESL by higher wages and higher profile games
ball boys etc - employed by clubs presumably
TV people - employed by TV companies or people who they outsource to

None of this will stop the ESL

Fair enough, but our financial position will be undoubtedly worse if we don't participate, and I'd rather watch us in the ESL than looking on enviously from the outside whilst we die a slow death in the PL. In my view, the ESL is happening and we're in or out; the status quo, which might have been a better option, isn't an option. I think this has gone too far to be reversible
I think this is the crunch point....whether it leaves a sour taste in the mouth or not it is better that we are in the ESL looking out than with our noses pressed against the shop window looking in. We have a huge mortgage to pay on the stadium, and Levy will want to know how the debt can be repaid. Being in the ESL makes Spurs a more attractive proposition for further external investment... being left outside reduces the attractiveness of the club to investors.

I think this is the crunch point....whether it leaves a sour taste in the mouth or not it is better that we are in the ESL looking out than with our noses pressed against the shop window looking in. We have a huge mortgage to pay on the stadium, and Levy will want to know how the debt can be repaid. Being in the ESL makes Spurs a more attractive proposition for further external investment... being left outside reduces the attractiveness of the club to investors.

Agreed

"being left outside reduces the attractiveness of the club to investors.....and might cause the club to go under because of the debt levels"

For sure, much as it's disgusting if it's going to happen it's better we're in than out. In a way Levy has done well here, we are the only team in it who has pretty much won nothing for 30 years.

This is the logical conclusion of money swamping the game and let's not forget that this is how the Premier League started with the 'elite' clubs threatening a complete break with the football League. If this happens, it will be over and out for me regarding Spurs, the end of a love affair that began in 1967.

Meeting tomorrow between the other 14 clubs apparently.

Don't you only need a vote of 14 to get something passed?

I cant believe that a vote of 14 teams would be enough to kick a club out. I'd expect it to take a higher threshold than that

Back