• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

European Super League - Dead on arrival

Playing weakened sides in the PL to prioritise a glorified friendly in another part of the world will absolutely show it's no longer about the fans. Good to see some footballers are already opposing the idea.

I'm in my 40's, I don't recall a time when it was ever about the fans

Ander Herrera formerly of United now PSG. ""I fell in love with popular football, with the football of the fans, with the dream of seeing the team of my heart compete against the greatest. If this European super league advances, those dreams are over, the illusions of the fans of the teams that are not giants of being able to win on the field competing in the best competitions will end""

hahaha, never happen

- PL and FA is a multi-billion dollar business on the back of certain "brands". the sponsors/tv right owners would argue any money already paid was with the expectation that those brands would be part of the package.
- The superleague does nothing to hurt the PL, in fact it could help promote the top 6 even more, have better players still
- You think the PL has any creditability without the top 6 sides?

People who think the PL is going to do anything but mutter/grumble are deluded, why would they risk their golden goose for UEFA?

This hasn't been done on a whim, it hasn't been done without the best lawyers in the world (who have been preparing for probably a year), the level of incompetence of FA and UEFA don't indicate they will have the brain power to counter and the timing is interesting, the only real threat is UEFA for Euros against the players and then they put themselves in the same boat as FA, who the fudge will watch Euros minus Ronaldo, Kane, everyone from those clubs?

Yes those 12 clubs have players like that now. What about in two years time, in four, in ten? What toll injuries and age. What disruption to the signing of players from the rival associations?

Major league soccer in the us in the 70s failed. Pele and Beckenbauer and Best couldn’t play forever.

Yes those 12 clubs have players like that now. What about in two years time, in four, in ten? What toll injuries and age. What disruption to the signing of players from the rival associations?

Major league soccer in the us in the 70s failed. Pele and Beckenbauer and Best couldn’t play forever.

True, but the issue there was that the real game was still back in Europe

Interested to see what happens in the next few days, I personally don't think it will happen in the current form given the backlash.

But it was about sporting competition; this is not

there is still competition within it

nobody gets relegated from the NFL either, but it's still a great sport

many many sports have fixed competitor lists

is the university boat race not competitive, the same two universities get a bye to the final every year

Interested to see what happens in the next few days, I personally don't think it will happen in the current form given the backlash.

What backlash mate? you think people didn't know there would be some negative press?

Choice
- Give into some people who probably don't spend any money at your club anyway or take £500M and ride it out?

There will be a huge marketing campaign already built
- Ronaldo, Messi, Kane, KDB, etc. play each other every week

This is back to the fallacy that local supporters have some material leverage over these clubs, you think United is huge because of UK fans?

Ander Herrera formerly of United now PSG. ""I fell in love with popular football, with the football of the fans, with the dream of seeing the team of my heart compete against the greatest. If this European super league advances, those dreams are over, the illusions of the fans of the teams that are not giants of being able to win on the field competing in the best competitions will end""

Will be a bit embarrassing for him if PSG are one of the 3 unnamed clubs!!

Apparently Bayern and PSG are against it

The German clubs cant be for it given that their majority owned by fans. Therefore they'll need to go to fans to vote for it. I suspect they'll let the dust settle and then when the ESL looks inevitable, Bayern and DOrtmund would get a vote from fans

PSG - seems odd that they're not named, and cant think why they would want it given their ownership. Maybe its to do with their spat with UEFA over financial fair play and/or they have some court case relating to that at the moment? Dont know

The German clubs cant be for it given that their majority owned by fans. Therefore they'll need to go to fans to vote for it. I suspect they'll let the dust settle and then when the ESL looks inevitable, Bayern and DOrtmund would get a vote from fans

PSG - seems odd that they're not named, and cant think why they would want it given their ownership. Maybe its to do with their spat with UEFA over financial fair play and/or they have some court case relating to that at the moment? Dont know

And therefore German fans cut their clubs out of 500M+ first year and some percentage of ongoing revenue (founder bonus), for integrity ..

Back